Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby jimjom on Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:49 pm

Malkin sais he'd remember it forever. As long as he scores in the real games...or even shows up...that's all that matters!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:56 pm

I can't believe there is 4 pages written on this topic! Unbelievable.
Badger Bob
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jimmy66 on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 pm

PghPens06 wrote:I can't believe there is 4 pages written on this topic! Unbelievable.

I can't believe it was ever started but I had to throw my two cents in. My bad. LOL.
Jimmy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:12 pm

Well I'm watching two analysts discuss last night's Young Gun's game on Sportsnet right now...here's a recap

- both agreed that the game as a whole stunk because of the lack of effort on d and guys cherry picking all game

- BOTH stated that Malkin was a disappointment in that he didn't showcase or really try anything out there. Both stated that seeing Malkin stand at the red line while his team chases the puck around in their end was crap on both him and the coaches for telling the players to do that....then the other analyst countered with, "do you think Crosby would have done that if he was playing?"...point was well taken.

- one analyst stated that many veterans took note of Malkin's play last night and questioned it as well and were puzzled.

- both are stating that Crosby is easily making this HIS All Star game and this could be a pretty big coming out party for him, if there's anything left to come out with.

So I wasn't the only one seeing that obviously...I'm not knocking Malkin or mad at him or whatever...I simply wondered what was wrong....by NO means do I think he's going to carry this crap play over, that didn't even cross my mind. I simply wanted to know what was up with him, he just wasn't himself at all in a game that he should have been very excited to play in. He himself was disappointed that he didn't get to keep his all star jersey, so obviously the game did mean something to him. (he later found out he did get to keep it)

I was wondering why he looked like the worst player on the ice last night in an easy game. He's probably the best player out there by far, yet he looked like the worst, talent wise and effort wise.

...does it matter overall in the big picture? HELL NO!! I was just wondering what was up with him, but everyone else just freaks out thinking I'm knocking him and believing that it TOTALLY matters what happens in that game.
Shinoix

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:22 pm

Shinoix wrote:Well I'm watching two analysts discuss last night's Young Gun's game on Sportsnet right now...here's a recap

- both agreed that the game as a whole stunk because of the lack of effort on d and guys cherry picking all game

- BOTH stated that Malkin was a disappointment in that he didn't showcase or really try anything out there. Both stated that seeing Malkin stand at the red line while his team chases the puck around in their end was crap on both him and the coaches for telling the players to do that....then the other analyst countered with, "do you think Crosby would have done that if he was playing?"...point was well taken.

- one analyst stated that many veterans took note of Malkin's play last night and questioned it as well and were puzzled.

- both are stating that Crosby is easily making this HIS All Star game and this could be a pretty big coming out party for him, if there's anything left to come out with.

So I wasn't the only one seeing that obviously...I'm not knocking Malkin or mad at him or whatever...I simply wondered what was wrong....by NO means do I think he's going to carry this crap play over, that didn't even cross my mind. I simply wanted to know what was up with him, he just wasn't himself at all in a game that he should have been very excited to play in. He himself was disappointed that he didn't get to keep his all star jersey, so obviously the game did mean something to him. (he later found out he did get to keep it)

I was wondering why he looked like the worst player on the ice last night in an easy game. He's probably the best player out there by far, yet he looked like the worst, talent wise and effort wise.

...does it matter overall in the big picture? HELL NO!! I was just wondering what was up with him, but everyone else just freaks out thinking I'm knocking him and believing that it TOTALLY matters what happens in that game.

blah blah blah...hockey is canada's gem so they have to pick apart every single instance of hockey as if it were the stanley cup. to call his play at a young stars 4 on 4 exhibition (with the coaches telling him to cherrypick no less) crappy play is indicative of absurdity that is the canadian obsession with the sport.

again with the questioning of effort is quite annoying...it was a meaningless exhibition..get over it

...perhaps the way one couldve approached the situation was with a bit of an understanding position before questioning his effort e.g. questioning his comfortability being in a city hes never been in with all these players who are the best in the world in front of a national audience...maybe the kid was nervous...not lacking effort ...blah!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shinoix on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:49 pm

canaan wrote:
Shinoix wrote:Well I'm watching two analysts discuss last night's Young Gun's game on Sportsnet right now...here's a recap

blah blah blah...hockey is canada's gem so they have to pick apart every single instance of hockey as if it were the stanley cup. to call his play at a young stars 4 on 4 exhibition (with the coaches telling him to cherrypick no less) crappy play is indicative of absurdity that is the canadian obsession with the sport.

again with the questioning of effort is quite annoying...it was a meaningless exhibition..get over it

...perhaps the way one couldve approached the situation was with a bit of an understanding position before questioning his effort e.g. questioning his comfortability being in a city hes never been in with all these players who are the best in the world in front of a national audience...maybe the kid was nervous...not lacking effort ...blah!

Like I said before which you failed to understand :

I'm not criticizing him nor thinking that this game matters at all. I simply wondered what was up with him and why he looked so bad. Those weren't nerves, nerves dont make you uninterested.

And yes, again it must be a Canadian thing. ...yup definately.
Shinoix

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:54 pm

i love this absurdity; i feel like i've won this discussion just because a couple pages ago, you wouldnt even admit that you questioned his effort....did you have a momentary epiphany (aka a jarring back to reality). three pages ago, you would've thought i questioned your religion by saying you said "effort." joke.

p.s. 'definitely' is the spelling, eh?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ziggo on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:42 pm

They should go back to the World Cup type format.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:50 pm

Shinoix wrote:I simply wondered what was up with him and why he looked so bad. Those weren't nerves, nerves dont make you uninterested.

Okay, you are wondering what was up with him? I think it can be answered pretty easily. He was doing what his coaches told him to do. Perhaps you would have been happier if he disobeyed his coach?
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SDPensFan on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:46 pm

Can you just give Malkin a break, he's been in a whirlwind since coming over from Russia.
I don't understand questioning his effort.
Maybe he did'nt understand what was expected of him in the 4on4?
Maybe he's not used to playing at such a slow pace?

Whatever the case, he has met and even exceeded expectations since joining the Penguins
SDPensFan

Postby Shinoix on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:15 am

Like I said, I know this game doesn't mean anything, nor will it affect his play for the Penguins.

I SIMPLY wondered why he was so uninterested, lethargic, and all around bad! That's not the type of player that he is, he looked as though he was pissed off and wasn't trying for one reason or another.

Do I care? Nope. Do I think he could have been pretty good out there and did I sort of expect it? Yup. I think I along with the other fans watching expected more out of him too.

If these are the games he wants to take off, then it's fine with me, as long as he plays well for us, which he's been doing.

Just couldn't figure out why he looked like nothing more than a below avg player out there among a bunch of players who don't have near the talent he has.
Shinoix

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 am

I'm guessing he went because he was selected. It looked like he had fun, who cares if he didn't play well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm guessing he went because he was selected. It looked like he had fun, who cares if he didn't play well.

i quit trying to reason...if hes not the pride of thunder bay, he shows no effort
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shinoix on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:12 am

canaan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'm guessing he went because he was selected. It looked like he had fun, who cares if he didn't play well.

i quit trying to reason...if hes not the pride of thunder bay, he shows no effort

Yup that's exactly what I said. You know because I totally hate Fleury, Orpik, Moore, ....actually, according to you if he's not from Thunder Bay he's crap in my mind.

Thank for you telling everyone my feelings, I didn't realize you could read minds.

It seems really hard for some people on hear to grasp what I said. OH NO, you're not allowed to say anythign BAD about Malkin. Christ, even the analysts on TV were saying the exact same thing I did. Even the veteran players were saying the same things I did. I'm not alone here, so quit your crying because I wondered why Malkin wasn't himself....it's not against the law to wonder those things.
Shinoix

Postby Badger Bob on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:29 am

Why did Crosby go to the All Star game? I mean come on, he didn't even score a point. He wasn't even trying out there. :lol:
Badger Bob
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Brode on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:31 am

Malkin's play was like a truck, BERZERKER!
Brode

Postby Jimmy66 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:25 pm

canaan wrote:

I agree with you that this game was fun and to over analyze it was not necessary but bro, why are you so hard on Canadians. Hockey is our passion and number one sport. We can't help that.

I geuss maybe it's the same with baseball though if I were to make a comparison. Baseball is not a very exciting sport to watch for me but I know it's huge down there. I can respect that. Whatever makes you happy.
Jimmy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:34 pm

was i really be so hard?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jimmy66 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 pm

canaan wrote:was i really be so hard?

Kinda, we're all for the gold and black on here. Let's go Pens!!
Jimmy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Shinoix wrote:Thank for you telling everyone my feelings, I didn't realize you could read minds.

Kind of like how you read Malkin's mind when you said he didn't care about the game or was miserable the entire time?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Jimmy66 wrote:

please, seriously, explain to me how i was being SO HARD to canadians?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jimmy66 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 pm

canaan wrote:
Jimmy66 wrote:

please, seriously, explain to me how i was being SO HARD to canadians?

Your Quote "is indicative of absurdity that is the canadian obsession with the sport."

Doesn't sound too much like a compliment.
Jimmy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby roller81 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:00 pm

well, malkin and crosby didnt get a point in either game..so lets just assume they're saving it up for games that actually matter? we need a nice winning streak to finish out this season..hell of alot more important than any allstar game
roller81
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:18 pm

Because he didn't get enough votes for the All-star game.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shinoix on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:07 pm

netwolf wrote:
Shinoix wrote:Thank for you telling everyone my feelings, I didn't realize you could read minds.

Kind of like how you read Malkin's mind when you said he didn't care about the game or was miserable the entire time?

Nope, I said it's what it looked like. Thanks.
Shinoix

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins