New York City travel suggestions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

New York City travel suggestions

Postby eddysnake on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:48 pm

I just received an email and I won 2 tickets to see Paul McCartney at the Apollo theater in Harlem, NY on Dec 13. Somehow I got picked out of the millions of sirius subscribers, I still can't believe this. It's been a long time since I've been up to NY. Anyone have any suggestions on getting up there?

I could take the AMTRAK from altoona to Penn Station for $260 round trip (roughly 7 hours) or I could drive 6 hours. Seems like driving would be alright until you get to New York, then it may be a pain. Any suggestions on places to stay around Harlem? Not looking for anything fancy.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: New York City travel suggestions

Postby Kraftster on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Wow, congrats. That's crazy to win with those odds.

No suggestions, though, sorry.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stopper40 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 pm

No suggestions but I'm jealous. Congrats, enjoy
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Driving up there can be a real pain, especially when you get close to the city. I'd definitely suggest mass transit, train or bus. Once you're there, it's easy to get around, so definitely leave the car at home. As for places to stay, can't help there, but there should be plenty of places. Pricing might be a little high for less because it's NY. I used to regularly travel there, but I never had to get a hotel.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:59 pm

mega bus
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby rasbatch on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 pm

If your a musician check out Manny's cool store!
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:24 pm

eddysnake wrote:I just received an email and I won 2 tickets to see Paul McCartney at the Apollo theater in Harlem, NY on Dec 13. Somehow I got picked out of the millions of sirius subscribers, I still can't believe this. It's been a long time since I've been up to NY. Anyone have any suggestions on getting up there?

I could take the AMTRAK from altoona to Penn Station for $260 round trip (roughly 7 hours) or I could drive 6 hours. Seems like driving would be alright until you get to New York, then it may be a pain. Any suggestions on places to stay around Harlem? Not looking for anything fancy.

Do not take AMTRAK. The 7 hours advertised is not accurate in any way.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:40 pm

we are either going to save the money and drive up or drive to the brothers in Jersey and take NJ Transit up from Trenton. Probably looking at staying at the Belnord which is 3 blocks from Central Park and 2 miles from the Apollo. We'd be close to the Park and Rockefellar plaza which would be cool in winter if we are only going to be there for a day or two.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:45 pm

eddysnake wrote:we are either going to save the money and drive up or drive to the brothers in Jersey and take NJ Transit up from Trenton. Probably looking at staying at the Belnord which is 3 blocks from Central Park and 2 miles from the Apollo. We'd be close to the Park and Rockefellar plaza which would be cool in winter if we are only going to be there for a day or two.

NJ Transit into Manhattan isn't bad. Driving to NJ and then training it in is fine.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:58 pm

slappybrown wrote:
eddysnake wrote:we are either going to save the money and drive up or drive to the brothers in Jersey and take NJ Transit up from Trenton. Probably looking at staying at the Belnord which is 3 blocks from Central Park and 2 miles from the Apollo. We'd be close to the Park and Rockefellar plaza which would be cool in winter if we are only going to be there for a day or two.

NJ Transit into Manhattan isn't bad. Driving to NJ and then training it in is fine.

At this point since we'd be driving all the way to NJ, would it still be better to do the NJ transit or just drive into the city? I'm guessing it will probably be cheaper to park the car in NJ rather than the city for a night or 2
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:00 pm

I work in Trenton and have taken the train a few times. It's $15 each way from Trenton or Hamilton Station (more suburban and just off Route 295) to NYC/Penn Station. Parking at Hamilton is about $18 for a 24-hour period, but I forget the hourly rate.

Hotels are really expensive in NYC especially this time of year, I would Priceline a 4-star for $125-150 and see if you get any takers and then increase a little.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Yes, take the train. Saves a lot of hassle of driving and parking in the city.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:05 pm

$260 seems expensive for a round-trip train ticket. That being said, Ive never rode a train, so I am not sure what the going rates are. Just seems a little pricey off the top of my head.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:06 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Yes, take the train. Saves a lot of hassle of driving and parking in the city.

PATH ftw
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:04 pm

i took the train from greensburg to altoona and it was about 35 round trip.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:06 pm

I recommend staying in Harlem
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:07 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Yes, take the train. Saves a lot of hassle of driving and parking in the city.

PATH ftw

Just had to take the PATH from Newark to Jersey City, what a mess that was (a bunch of power lines are down)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:12 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I recommend staying in Harlem

done. will you be our private security?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Marshall Dylan on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Whatever money you might save driving will be more than consumed by parking costs. If you park someplace cheap outside of Manhattan, then you have to pay fares in and out of the city.

Amtrak used to be horrendously late, but they've gotten better. You can check the arrival times of recent days on their website to see if they're running on schedule lately. If you take the train, take something to read or some other distraction. There isn't a lot of scenery going across PA.

Price seems expensive, but they're like the airlines in that it costs more at the last minute. If you're a AAA member, Amtrak offers a discount. I think it's 10%.

Look for hotels on the Upper West Side and take the subway to the Apollo. Try tripadvisor.com for the best deals and reviews so you can find a decent hotel at a reasonable price. Warning: NY hotels are usually insane price-wise Dec. 1-15. Things settle down from Dec. 16-30, then get crazy again for New Year's.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:08 am

I just know that around Manhattan, closer to Central park, where my friend lives there were alot of parking spaces, even when I got there after Midnight. There are spots to park over night for like Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs. Kinda weird. If you are going for a day or so then just park somewhere there and take the subway. Might have to move your car before the next night.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks all, got it narrowed down to 2 places in the upper west side

Hotel Alexander
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d649058-Reviews-Hotel_Alexander-New_York_City_New_York.html

Belnord Hotel
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d217627-Reviews-Belnord_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

Anyone have any suggestions for places to eat, nothing extremely fancy, someplace nice to grab a bite before the 8pm show.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:37 pm

My co-worker lived in Manhattan for a long time and he suggests the following:

For extreme bare-bones accommodations, there is the YMCA on 92nd street. If you're after a more boutique small hotel type of thing there's the Hudson Hotel near Columbus Circle.

For eats, if you like soul food there's a place called Sylvia's in Harlem that's apparently pretty chill.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:53 pm

rad thanks, while I'm used to staying in $2 hostels in Mexico, I think we may go real classy and stick with the 2 star hotels, but I'll check out Hudson Hotel. Will check out Sylvia's as well. Thanks!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 am

bump - looking to travel to NYC august 10-13 this summer. looking for some nice accommodations in a location that is close to food and attractions. budgeted hotel spend around 350/night max. based on feedback in this thread it appears easier/more economical to park outside side and train it in?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:bump - looking to travel to NYC august 10-13 this summer. looking for some nice accommodations in a location that is close to food and attractions. budgeted hotel spend around 350/night max. based on feedback in this thread it appears easier/more economical to park outside side and train it in?

I say train it in for multiple reasons. We parked at a valet garage there, and I was appalled at how the gutter trash that worked there treated the vehicles they parked. I heard tires squealing everywhere.

And I know I sound like a broken record, but I REALLY recommend using Priceline to find a nice hotel in Manhattan. We stayed in a really nice Hilton (Avenue of the Americas) for like $140/night.

You don't have to stay in a cheap, dive-ish place at full price.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR