Rob Rossi on with Tim Benz right nowÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
- Wayne Fontana, a member of the SEA board, was adamant about the deal being close to being done. Expects it to possibly be announced today or tomorrow at the latest.
- Very little chance of the NHL allowing this team to pick up and leave.
- The only other viable option right now is KC and they are not expecting the Pens to leave.
- Gave Fontana several opportunities to back off his comments and he refused to do so.
- The $10 million payment to the Isle of Capri from the Pens may be the only real issue that is still on the table.
- From everything heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s been told, theyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve reached middle ground/compromise on the development rights of the land and the parking rights at the new building.
- The Pens may be stuck with this $10 million payment to Isle of Capri because this was a deal they cut, but they may be able to work something out with IoC to spread this payment out over a few years or something. ThereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s also the possibility that the state picks up the payment now and the team pays the state back over time.
- Believes this is a fair deal for the Pens, and the revenue streams will ultimately be the thing that keeps this team here.
- One other thing...Rossi did mention that both sides are being very careful about not leaking much information on this, and he said from everyone he's talked to, that speaks volumes as to the progress being made here.
Other than the stuff on alternatives to the $10 million to IoC, not much else here that we already didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t know.
For what it's worth, Rossi has been much closer to these negotiations than anyone from TSN has. TSN is likely pulling from various reports around the Pittsburgh media (the KDKA website allowed yesterday for the possibility of this hitting another snag, but that sounded more like they were saying, "We really don't know what the hell is going on, so we're just going to make this sound good" as opposed to them actually having word of something going wrong in the negotiations).
Last edited by Stoosh
on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.