They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spring!

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:35 pm

anything can happen in the playoffs – health, luck, officiating, how you play.


One of those things you control, and it's the only one you should be concerned with.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby BadHands71 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 am

Gaucho wrote:
Admin wrote:Leonsis lowers expectations.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... rc=nl_buzz



anything can happen in the playoffs – health, luck, officiating, how you play.


In this order, of course.


:thumb: :thumb: :D
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,010
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:*confused* :pop:


If you lived in this town and heard their fans talking today you might understand.

One dude at 7-11 actually told me that he is anxious for free agency to begin because of how many players want to play for a defending champ.


I understand. My in-laws live in Germantown and are on the Caps ST waiting list (they're Steelers fans at least). They like the Pens too and don't get wrapped up in everything but others in the family and work buddies in DC are annoying as hell when it comes to Capitals stuff.

My wife is a huge Pens fan and goes off on them all the time. She always tells them until a few years ago no one ever gave two craps about the craps and they are typical DC jump on the bandwagoners.

Trust me, I get sick of hearing it also :)

I'm surprised but not surprised. Kinda surprised it started so soon. Oh well, I hope they play the Devils in the first round and get knocked out in 4 games. :lol:

I hope I'm not the only one that wonders how their new "emphasis on defensive hockey" will contest with playoff intensity thrown at them.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Rylan on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 am

Kovy27 wrote:Image

Image
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,017
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby 66 Fighters of Foo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Three Stars wrote:Image


With the exceptions of the ears and lack of barbeque sauce on its face, that cat is a dead ringer for Boudreau.

" ****ing meow. "
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
anything can happen in the playoffs – health, luck, officiating, how you play.


One of those things you control, and it's the only one you should be concerned with.


Good to see they've already entered 'victim / whine about officiating' mode.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,524
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:18 pm

66 Fighters of Foo wrote:
Three Stars wrote:Image


With the exceptions of the ears and lack of barbeque sauce on its face, that cat is a dead ringer for Boudreau.

" ****ing meow. "


Image
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,506
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
anything can happen in the playoffs – health, luck, officiating, how you play.


One of those things you control, and it's the only one you should be concerned with.


considering the amount of whining boudreau does in his press conferences, it looks like they think they can control officiating as well.

...plus with ovechkin's steroid use, they're trying to work on the health thing, too :lol:
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,781
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby 66 Fighters of Foo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Gaucho wrote:
66 Fighters of Foo wrote:
Three Stars wrote:Image


With the exceptions of the ears and lack of barbeque sauce on its face, that cat is a dead ringer for Boudreau.

" ****ing meow. "


Image


Yeah, I know who was being referenced by the quote. IMO the cat looks more like Boudreau than Fat Teddy. Either way...
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 pm

66 Fighters of Foo wrote:
Three Stars wrote:Image


With the exceptions of the ears and lack of barbeque sauce on its face, that cat is a dead ringer for Boudreau.

" ****ing meow. "


I'd put some money in if someone wants to get a blown up poster of this and put Boudreau/Ted next to it and sit behind the Caps bench sometime. :lol:
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 pm

I think we need to stop worrying about the Capitals
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,978
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I think we need to stop worrying about the Capitals


I'm more worried about the waffle stanley cup!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,610
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I think we need to stop worrying about the Capitals


I don't worry about the Caps as a team. I just get enjoyment out of their fan base having their hearts thrown into a blender.

I've never experienced a fan base as bad of them in all the years I've been going to games, Philly included. They don't fully understand the game because 99% of them only came around after Boudreau turned the team around. They think the Stanley Cup every year is winning the conference and winning any game against the Penguins. They are completely ignorant about their enjoyment with Crosby's concussion issues and Malkin's knee. They act oblivious to any issues with their team and love to throw it in everyone's face the past few years about how "this is the year."

It goes a lot further than the team though. I'm in DC quite a bit. The sportscasters help add to this brainwashing constantly. I've seen tons of insensitive and classless wise cracks on the Penguins, Crosby's injury, and Crosby in general from their sportscasters. It's really dumb stuff but the fans end up buying into it and it turns them into a mob of idiots.

It pains me to say this as a Pens fan, but I'd rather see the Flyers earn a Stanley Cup before the Caps. The Flyers and their fans have at least paid their dues and love hockey, despite wanting their own branding of goonism. The Caps are the flavor of the month in DC in terms of sports because the Redskins have sucked for a while and they are their only hope of winning a championship in the DC area. They're probably one of the most ignorant/egotistical hockey fan bases I've ever been around. Detroit fans might talk smack but give credit where credit is due, they all know their stuff.

Sorry for the rant. Eff the Caps.
:pop:
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 pm

I will say, I could sleep much more easily with a Flyers victory than a Caps victory, and I live outside of Philly.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,978
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I will say, I could sleep much more easily with a Flyers victory than a Caps victory, and I live outside of Philly.

I wanted the Flyers to win last year. :pop:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby 66 Fighters of Foo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:I'd put some money in if someone wants to get a blown up poster of this and put Boudreau/Ted next to it and sit behind the Caps bench sometime. :lol:


:thumb:
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby mnpensfan on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:It pains me to say this as a Pens fan, but I'd rather see the Flyers earn a Stanley Cup before the Caps.


I actually told my wife that very same thing a couple of days ago....(as Satan grabs a blanket.....)
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Cottage Grove, MN

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:45 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I will say, I could sleep much more easily with a Flyers victory than a Caps victory, and I live outside of Philly.


same. i'm in south jersey and i'd prefer the flyers to win. mostly because of the laviolette vs. boudreau factor. i couldn't take seeing boudreau lifting the cup over his head. i don't like ovechkin either, but richards is enough of a turd to cancel him out.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,781
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:23 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I think we need to stop worrying about the Capitals


I don't worry about the Caps as a team. I just get enjoyment out of their fan base having their hearts thrown into a blender.

I've never experienced a fan base as bad of them in all the years I've been going to games, Philly included. They don't fully understand the game because 99% of them only came around after Boudreau turned the team around. They think the Stanley Cup every year is winning the conference and winning any game against the Penguins. They are completely ignorant about their enjoyment with Crosby's concussion issues and Malkin's knee. They act oblivious to any issues with their team and love to throw it in everyone's face the past few years about how "this is the year."

It goes a lot further than the team though. I'm in DC quite a bit. The sportscasters help add to this brainwashing constantly. I've seen tons of insensitive and classless wise cracks on the Penguins, Crosby's injury, and Crosby in general from their sportscasters. It's really dumb stuff but the fans end up buying into it and it turns them into a mob of idiots.

It pains me to say this as a Pens fan, but I'd rather see the Flyers earn a Stanley Cup before the Caps. The Flyers and their fans have at least paid their dues and love hockey, despite wanting their own branding of goonism. The Caps are the flavor of the month in DC in terms of sports because the Redskins have sucked for a while and they are their only hope of winning a championship in the DC area. They're probably one of the most ignorant/egotistical hockey fan bases I've ever been around. Detroit fans might talk smack but give credit where credit is due, they all know their stuff.

Sorry for the rant. Eff the Caps.
:pop:


This.

Living in this area makes it different. The pens fans that have lived here for a while are like the French Resistance during WWII. We've lived with these punks for years and years and have had to put up with the BS our whole lives. Those pens fans living outside the DC area didn't even have the caps on their radar until 4-5 years ago. They were just a team that the pens always beat. But if you live here you have seen the evolution of the caps fan. You have seen the guy with Redskins crap all over his car one day and then after the caps win a few and the skins lose their 4th straight all of a sudden the guy hates the skins and is the founding member of the Rod Langway fan club.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby 66 Fighters of Foo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I think we need to stop worrying about the Capitals


I don't worry about the Caps as a team. I just get enjoyment out of their fan base having their hearts thrown into a blender.

I've never experienced a fan base as bad of them in all the years I've been going to games, Philly included. They don't fully understand the game because 99% of them only came around after Boudreau turned the team around. They think the Stanley Cup every year is winning the conference and winning any game against the Penguins. They are completely ignorant about their enjoyment with Crosby's concussion issues and Malkin's knee. They act oblivious to any issues with their team and love to throw it in everyone's face the past few years about how "this is the year."

It goes a lot further than the team though. I'm in DC quite a bit. The sportscasters help add to this brainwashing constantly. I've seen tons of insensitive and classless wise cracks on the Penguins, Crosby's injury, and Crosby in general from their sportscasters. It's really dumb stuff but the fans end up buying into it and it turns them into a mob of idiots.

It pains me to say this as a Pens fan, but I'd rather see the Flyers earn a Stanley Cup before the Caps. The Flyers and their fans have at least paid their dues and love hockey, despite wanting their own branding of goonism. The Caps are the flavor of the month in DC in terms of sports because the Redskins have sucked for a while and they are their only hope of winning a championship in the DC area. They're probably one of the most ignorant/egotistical hockey fan bases I've ever been around. Detroit fans might talk smack but give credit where credit is due, they all know their stuff.

Sorry for the rant. Eff the Caps.
:pop:


This.

Living in this area makes it different. The pens fans that have lived here for a while are like the French Resistance during WWII. We've lived with these punks for years and years and have had to put up with the BS our whole lives. Those pens fans living outside the DC area didn't even have the caps on their radar until 4-5 years ago. They were just a team that the pens always beat. But if you live here you have seen the evolution of the caps fan. You have seen the guy with Redskins crap all over his car one day and then after the caps win a few and the skins lose their 4th straight all of a sudden the guy hates the skins and is the founding member of the Rod Langway fan club.


:fist:

Living here for the past 7 years have made me hate the Caps more than the Flyers. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but the last couple years in particular have made it impossible to deny.

If the Caps win a Cup while I'm still living here, I'm going to lose it, Charlie Sheen style.
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am

i grew up in a DC suburb and have spent my adult life in a philly suburb, and i can honestly say that DC fans are more irritating.

philly fans aren't nearly as educated as they think they are. they claim to be oracles of sports information, but generally, they know nothing about what takes place outside of city limits. meanwhile, washington fans also have no knowledge of things outside DC, nor do they have any concept of their own history; and worse yet, they have no clue about the game itself (from basic rulebook stuff to simple strategy stuff). and the cherry on the sunday is that while philly fans can admit when their team F's up, the DC fans treat their teams with Papal-levels of infallibility.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,781
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:39 am

The Caps seem to be peaking at the right time this year, instead of November. Ovie has started scoring again, and the team can win a one-goal game. If either one of their goalies gets and stays hot...look out.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,157
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Caps seem to be peaking at the right time this year, instead of November. Ovie has started scoring again, and the team can win a one-goal game. If either one of their goalies gets and stays hot...look out.


A la the Pens in 2008. Scary.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby muffinarm on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:46 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Caps seem to be peaking at the right time this year, instead of November. Ovie has started scoring again, and the team can win a one-goal game. If either one of their goalies gets and stays hot...look out.


I like their 2-7 record in game sevens. It's cute.

I also like the fact they have blown a 3-1 series lead a whopping three times. Their history is a delicious nugget of failure. I see no reason to fear a team whose past history is a ten pound brillo pad of fail.
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,607
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Where's my deck of cards?

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:52 am

muffinarm wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Caps seem to be peaking at the right time this year, instead of November. Ovie has started scoring again, and the team can win a one-goal game. If either one of their goalies gets and stays hot...look out.


I like their 2-7 record in game sevens. It's cute.

I also like the fact they have blown a 3-1 series lead a whopping three times. Their history is a delicious nugget of failure. I see no reason to fear a team whose past history is a ten pound brillo pad of fail.


They're due
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Humperdink, llipgh2 and 4 guests


e-mail