Issac Hayes is taking one on the chin tonight...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Issac Hayes is taking one on the chin tonight...

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:18 pm

The South Park boys are having a field day with the Chef character. :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 pm

I saw the last ten minutes.... I can't imagine the first 20. Good for them for ripping those wackos.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:31 pm

I kept waiting for a Scientology crack, but I never saw one.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 pm

WHEN DOES IT RE-AIR. I WANNA SEE THIS!
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 am

Bowser wrote:I saw the last ten minutes.... I can't imagine the first 20. Good for them for ripping those wackos.

Let me ask you something? If people are okay with the Muslim cartoons, yet would be angry about Jesus cartoons, does that make them worse than Isaac Hayes, equal, or just normal people?

The point is, people tend to not get mad at something until it affects them.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:22 am

I laugh at Scientology because it isn't a religion, it is a cult. Of course, I laugh at most religions. I think if religious people get mad enough to cry for violence, are they truly following the religion.

Frankly, if I had the artistic ability... I would draw a cartoon making an insulting depiction of Jesus and Prophet Mohammed involving oil and Dubya.

Just to pi$$ off everyone.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:40 am

Bowser wrote:I laugh at Scientology because it isn't a religion, it is a cult. Of course, I laugh at most religions. I think if religious people get mad enough to cry for violence, are they truly following the religion.

Frankly, if I had the artistic ability... I would draw a cartoon making an insulting depiction of Jesus and Prophet Mohammed involving oil and Dubya.

Just to pi$$ off everyone.

I also laugh at religion, since I believe God has a great sense of humor.

Most of the people that think Isaac Hayes is a hypocrite would probably take the same offense if Jesus were depicted in a bad way. Just look at the Last Temptation of Christ. How many of those people laughed at the Muslim cartoons?

I did read that the quote didn't come from Isaac Hayes, he had a stroke in January. Apparantly, Scientologists made the quote for him.

I agree with you about Scientology being a cult. You might appreciate that Scarlett Johansson left MI3 because she got fed up with Tom Cruise pimping his "religion" to her too much.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:54 am

netwolf wrote:I kept waiting for a Scientology crack, but I never saw one.

What I took from the entire episode was that it was a parrallel to what Scientology is. So they ripped on Scientology without actually ripping on Scientology in so many words.

It was a good episode. The best part is that Cruise and whoever else wants to get mad at South Park are only going to give Parker and Stone more material to make fun of. They will always get the last laugh.
MrKnowNothing

Postby plasticbratt on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 am

I thought that was one of the dumbest episodes they have ever put on the air. It was basically one dumb joke over and over again.
plasticbratt
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:37 am

Bowser wrote:I laugh at Scientology because it isn't a religion, it is a cult.

Aren't all religions technically "cults"?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:38 am

netwolf wrote:I kept waiting for a Scientology crack, but I never saw one.

I haven't watched the show in quite some time, but they rarely went for the obvious mark. Maybe it's easier for them to defend against potential lawsuits then.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:14 am

It was obvious that they were not allowed to do certain things or say certain things due to legal action from the scientologists and maybe even Isac Hays. :lol: However, the South Park guys have a way of finding that fine line of legality, walking it, and then pissing over the other side.

There were some HARSH derogitory shots at scientology that preyy much summarized the situation with Chef. The could'nt us a "new" Chef voice so they used old recordings and formed sentences that were sick, twisted, and **** funny. Since the ending, they don't have to worry about finding a replacement. Well done.
NIN

Postby spoon on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:49 pm

Bowser wrote:Of course, I laugh at most religions.

perhaps you should visit my Church of The GIN for a service 8)

-Father Spoon
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:31 pm

Comedy Central is reairing the epsiode "The Return of Chef" tonight at 10:00.

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_schedul ... esId=11600
Last edited by DelPen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm

Daniel wrote:You might appreciate that Scarlett Johansson...

Yes.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kicksave on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:40 am

plasticbratt wrote:I thought that was one of the dumbest episodes they have ever put on the air. It was basically one dumb joke over and over again.

Don't watch then. Obviously, the humor in it is above you.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 am

plasticbratt wrote:I thought that was one of the dumbest episodes they have ever put on the air. It was basically one dumb joke over and over again.

I agree, it wasn't a rib buster but I at least got a few laughs. On the funny scale that isnt one of their better works but it had to be done. Given all of the stuff surrounding the show, I think it was brilliant the way they handled it.

Of course, part of the charm of the show is in knowing that they aim to insult the intelligence of the uptight and judgemental. It is a very British approach to humor but even if you get it, that wasnt one of their funniest by far.
NIN

Return to NHR