Audiophile thread - All about sound

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Audiophile thread - All about sound

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 am

Recently, I was working out and my jokarific Apple Ear Buds finally gave out. I need ear buds purely for the gym, anyone have any good ones that they recommend? With the Apple ones, I'm constantly fixing them, because they just suck. What say you lgp?
Last edited by Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Anyone Have Good Earphone Recommendations?

Postby Admin on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:54 am

Price range?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:54 am

for working out you need the ones that go around your ears.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby comatose on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 am

I have Bose IE2 earbuds. They are freaking amazing. They're $100 but if you listen to music a lot, totally worth it.
comatose
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 am

Admin wrote:Price range?

Under $100. I've looked into the Bose ones, but I think those are too classy for just using to work out.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 am

Troy Loney wrote:for working out you need the ones that go around your ears.

I've thought that as well, but those never seem to last for me. I purely lift weights and the occasional jog.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

do they make bluetooth earbuds? that would be sweet. also i am saving up My Coke Rewards for a wireless headset for work. i only need like 25 more points!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am

I use these, they may not look great, but they sound soooooo good

for real though, I've been using Sony ear buds from Amazon and they have been great

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX36V-BLK-Earbud-Headphone/dp/B001EYU3JO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302789485&sr=1-1
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Ear+ ... merreviews

I've been looking into those, and for the price and range, they might be just what I'm looking for. I'm not opposed to ones that wrap around my ear, but If I'm going to do that, I want quality ones.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:for working out you need the ones that go around your ears.

I've thought that as well, but those never seem to last for me. I purely lift weights and the occasional jog.

they're like $15, i dont think they're supposed to last. but when they aren't broke they work pretty well. plus you know when they're giving out and when you can still use them before they need to be completely replaced.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 am

Don't get a nice pair for working out. High probability of stolen, broken, losing and they get gross and sweaty. I had a pair of Nikes that went around the ear that were about 25 bucks and they were perfect. Lost em. Now I dont like to wear earphones cuz they get in the way
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 am

TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 am

eddysnake wrote:I use these, they may not look great, but they sound soooooo good

for real though, I've been using Sony ear buds from Amazon and they have been great

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX36V-BLK-Earbud-Headphone/dp/B001EYU3JO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302789485&sr=1-1

I think those are great, but I'd be incredibly worried about the jet engines giving me a headache after prolonged use. :thumb:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Don't get a nice pair for working out. High probability of stolen, broken, losing and they get gross and sweaty. I had a pair of Nikes that went around the ear that were about 25 bucks and they were perfect. Lost em. Now I dont like to wear earphones cuz they get in the way

Lol I'd go without earbuds too if I could, but we have a guy at our gym that I work out at the same time as me, always blasts Van Halen on the big radio and is a severe grunter. If I didn't have headphones, I would laugh.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 am

the Beats by Dre are pretty good too i'd say.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Don't get a nice pair for working out. High probability of stolen, broken, losing and they get gross and sweaty. I had a pair of Nikes that went around the ear that were about 25 bucks and they were perfect. Lost em. Now I dont like to wear earphones cuz they get in the way

I can't work out without listening to music. i think i spend the majority of my time listening to music just to build my workout playlists. I have about 10 unique playlists with 200+songs each that i'm able to fall back on whenever i start waffling on working out or not.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am

Malkamaniac wrote:

Lol I'd go without earbuds too if I could, but we have a guy at our gym that I work out at the same time as me, always blasts Van Halen on the big radio and is a severe grunter. If I didn't have headphones, I would laugh.

lol...i haven't dealt with grunters since i was going to the pitt gyms.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am

Troy Loney wrote:

I can't work out without listening to music. i think i spend the majority of my time listening to music just to build my workout playlists. I have about 10 unique playlists with 200+songs each that i'm able to fall back on whenever i start waffling on working out or not.

I'm the same way, I usually have days where I want to hear rap, or death metal. It always depends on the mood. I feel like it gives me that extra motivation to push.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 am

TheHammer24 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EPH-30BL-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B002UHKN6W/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b these are great for the price.

Right now, it's between this set and the other ones I posted. I think I'd like over the ear, but the other ones I've had I remember being cumbersome.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:07 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

lol...i haven't dealt with grunters since i was going to the pitt gyms.

Aw man it's terrible, and we're on the exact same schedule. I can deal with the grunting, but the Van Halen takes it over the top. I'm still desperately waiting for the day he comes in on full out Zubaz sponsorship.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:07 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EPH-30BL-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B002UHKN6W/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b these are great for the price.

Right now, it's between this set and the other ones I posted. I think I'd like over the ear, but the other ones I've had I remember being cumbersome.

the ones you posted (sony) are what I got, we could be twins if you get them. We could meet somewhere and both wear the headphones, people would be like, look at them, you think they are twins? but we would know we are not. They are pretty nice because they have a little volume level on the cord as well. You don't want the over the ear ones, you'll look dumb.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11 am

eddysnake wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

the ones you posted (sony) are what I got, we could be twins if you get them. We could meet somewhere and both wear the headphones, people would be like, look at them, you think they are twins? but we would know we are not. They are pretty nice because they have a little volume level on the cord as well. You don't want the over the ear ones, you'll look dumb.

You sir, are seriously top 5 favorite posters on this board. This post alone has convinced me actually take the next step and ring your doorbell. Bravo!
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 am

DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:53 am

mac5155 wrote:the Beats by Dre are pretty good too i'd say.

They really are. I tried them out and they sound absolutely amazing. I tried the over hear ones and not the in ear ones. If they weren't so expensive I would definitely get a pair (I refuse to spend over $20 on headphones that I know I am gonna break, that is probably too much. No way am I ever spending a couple hundred on a pair).
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:11 am

Beats by Dr Dre? Bose?

Holy crap these are TERRIBLE recommendations. TERRIBLE.

Cheap decent headphone: Koss Porta-Pro or Koss KC-75 (same drivers, pick the style you like best)

Mid Range:
Open: Sennheiser PX 200 - II (for portable), Senn 555 (for dedicated - might need an amp), Grado SR60/80 (for rock), Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Closed: Sony MDR-V6, Audio Technica ATH-A700

High end: Depends on what music you like, if you are dropping this much head over to head-fi. Also you will probably need an amp. I have a Beyer DT990, Senn IE8 IEMs, and a Senn HD580. You need an amp for these except the IEMs.

A note on brands:

IN GENERAL:
Sennheiser will give you a huge soundstage which I love. Senn is my favorite brand of headphones. Sometimes they might seem "laid back" to some people. The Senn IE8 IEMs are the exception, they have a huge soundstage but are also pretty heavy.

Beyer: Have a huge soundstage, ultra comfortable, great all around headphones but only really come in high end models AFAIK

Grado: I don't personally own these, they are supposedly really good for rock. Very in your face

Koss: Great cheap all around headphone

Bose: Overrated PoS. Can get MUCH better while paying much less

Beats by Dr Dre: Huge bass, nothing else. Probably good if you only want bass.

A note on open vs closed:

Open headphones allow sound in and out. They usually are much more comfortable to wear and have a better soundstage. Most of the high end dedicated non-portable headphones are open. The drawback is that everyone can hear what you are listening to.

Closed headphones: never found one I liked, although the Sony MDR-V6 is really good for the price. I said screw it and now use expensive Senn IE8 IEMs and love them way better than closed headphones.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR