Audiophile thread - All about sound

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Anyone Have Good Earphone Recommendations?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:14 am

Earbuds are terrible

Beats are cool - I wish I could aford them :(

SkullCandy headphones are pretty good (though they can become uncomfortable after a while) .
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:19 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:Beats by Dr Dre? Bose?

Holy crap these are TERRIBLE recommendations. TERRIBLE.

Cheap decent headphone: Koss Porta-Pro or Koss KC-75 (same drivers, pick the style you like best)

Mid Range:
Open: Sennheiser PX 200 - II (for portable), Senn 555 (for dedicated - might need an amp), Grado SR60/80 (for rock), Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Closed: Sony MDR-V6, Audio Technica ATH-A700

High end: Depends on what music you like, if you are dropping this much head over to head-fi. Also you will probably need an amp. I have a Beyer DT990, Senn IE8 IEMs, and a Senn HD580. You need an amp for these except the IEMs.

A note on brands:

IN GENERAL:
Sennheiser will give you a huge soundstage which I love. Senn is my favorite brand of headphones. Sometimes they might seem "laid back" to some people. The Senn IE8 IEMs are the exception, they have a huge soundstage but are also pretty heavy.

Beyer: Have a huge soundstage, ultra comfortable, great all around headphones but only really come in high end models AFAIK

Grado: I don't personally own these, they are supposedly really good for rock. Very in your face

Koss: Great cheap all around headphone

Bose: Overrated PoS. Can get MUCH better while paying much less

Beats by Dr Dre: Huge bass, nothing else. Probably good if you only want bass.

A note on open vs closed:

Open headphones allow sound in and out. They usually are much more comfortable to wear and have a better soundstage. Most of the high end dedicated non-portable headphones are open. The drawback is that everyone can hear what you are listening to.

Closed headphones: never found one I liked, although the Sony MDR-V6 is really good for the price. I said screw it and now use expensive Senn IE8 IEMs and love them way better than closed headphones.

Dude, I use them for 45 minutes to an hour a day. Relax lol.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Dude, I use them for 45 minutes to an hour a day. Relax lol.

Some people are anal about hockey jerseys, I'm anal about my audio gear lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:53 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

Totally acceptable, I just read it "like woah."
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:53 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

We can tell.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 am

lololololollo
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:A torrent of headphone info
Question for you, since you are so anal about audio gear :P ... I like to play guitar and have a Boss GT 6 pedal with a headphone jack. What would be a good set of headphone for guitar playing? Thanks for any advice.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Sennheiser will give you a huge soundstage which I love. Senn is my favorite brand of headphones.

Hmmm, that's an interesting recommendation. I know Senn microphones, but have no experience with their sound reproduction products.

bh wrote:I like to play guitar and have a Boss GT 6 pedal with a headphone jack.

The thread, she has been hijacked......

Do tell me about this widget. I've wanted a better pedal board for years (and by 'better' I mean 'any') and have read good things about the Boss.

Also, can it work in conjunction with a virtual amp emulator like a Pod or V-Amp?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:48 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Do tell me about this widget. I've wanted a better pedal board for years (and by 'better' I mean 'any') and have read good things about the Boss.

Also, can it work in conjunction with a virtual amp emulator like a Pod or V-Amp?

Line 6 Pod X3 Live

You can find one used from around $400, new at $500. Great pedal for the price. I use the XT Live (the previous model) and in the 6 years I've had I have had no issues.

If you want to save some cash get the XT Live for around $200 used - $300 new. The only difference between the 2 is recording capability (greater with the X3) and the ability to combine 2 tones at once (on the X3). Other than that there is very little difference.

How often do you play? Do you play gigs?

EDIT: Apparently they have changed the name of their pedals. They are now called HD (no idea why).

http://line6.com/podhd/

You can still find the XT and X3 on ebay or in guitar center etc.
Last edited by PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:49 pm

bh wrote:
Question for you, since you are so anal about audio gear :P ... I like to play guitar and have a Boss GT 6 pedal with a headphone jack. What would be a good set of headphone for guitar playing? Thanks for any advice.

I assume you want something with a very flat frequency response? Most of the high end cans are very flat - unless you go with Beats or something lol. I don't think you would need a great set of cans for just guitar. Your choice would probably come down to comfort and to open/closed.

I think the AudioTechnica AD700/A700 would suit you pretty good - just pick either open or closed (AD700 = open, A700 = closed). That is a pretty general purpose midrange can that most people are very satisfied with. And for $100 on amazon you can't really beat it, it is a $250 can.

Edit: If you want to go a little cheaper, the Grados SR-60 would be solid. It is a can for rock. If you want to go more expensive, the Senn 580/595/600/650 are the definitive monitor cans. All of these are open only.

Edit 2: If you are playing gigs then go with an IEM obviously. I'm not as experienced with IEMs. I have the Senn IE8 which I love, but I hear that the Westone 3's are a lot more flat and would probably be a lot better for gigging. Also the high-end Shures are really good as well.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

bh wrote:Question for you, since you are so anal about audio gear :P ... I like to play guitar and have a Boss GT 6 pedal with a headphone jack. What would be a good set of headphone for guitar playing? Thanks for any advice.

I think you need to ask yourself how often you play first. Are you a casual player or do you do a lot of recording?

If you're just a casual guitarist than you don't need to drop $250 on headphones. In my experience (I've been playing for 17 years) for casual jamming just wear what is most comfortable. If that happens to be a $250 pair, go for it, but I usually just use some decent over the ear headphones.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Audiophile thread - All about sound

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Looking to pick up speakers I can plug into my droid x for when I'm out and about or riding me bike to work, I need to be able to boogie down in all type of situations... Any recomendations?

looking at this... help a brotha out

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-Ultraportable-Speaker-Players/dp/B001ELK2NY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302803379&sr=1-1-fkmr0
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 pm

eddysnake wrote:Looking to pick up speakers I can plug into my droid x for when I'm out and about or riding me bike to work, I need to be able to boogie down in all type of situations... Any recomendations?

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-Ultraportable-Speaker-Players/dp/B001ELK2NY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302803379&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Dunno anything about that speaker. The reviews look pretty good, as long as you realize that you aren't gonig to be throwing a rave with that haha.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Looking to pick up speakers I can plug into my droid x for when I'm out and about or riding me bike to work, I need to be able to boogie down in all type of situations... Any recomendations?

Dunno anything about that speaker. The reviews look pretty good, as long as you realize that you aren't gonig to be throwing a rave with that haha.

no rave here, I just need something to rock out the smooth sounds of hall and oates while I'm on my bike or a gentle walk in the rain.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby guiner on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Oh no... an audiophile thread which starts with earbuds and moves to phone connectivity... I'll come back when (if) it gets serious
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cma3585 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Audiophile in the topic while asking about replacing Apple earbuds with nothing too expensive or "classy" for working out? Interesting...
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:26 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
bh wrote:Question for you, since you are so anal about audio gear :P ... I like to play guitar and have a Boss GT 6 pedal with a headphone jack. What would be a good set of headphone for guitar playing? Thanks for any advice.

I think you need to ask yourself how often you play first. Are you a casual player or do you do a lot of recording?

If you're just a casual guitarist than you don't need to drop $250 on headphones. In my experience (I've been playing for 17 years) for casual jamming just wear what is most comfortable. If that happens to be a $250 pair, go for it, but I usually just use some decent over the ear headphones.
No giging. I am a very casual player. I used to sort of be in a band, nothing too serious, but I bought a Fender Deluxe and the thing is just too load to use in my house. Also with two kids now I have no time to play except after they go to bed, so rocking out after that is not an option. I want to sell my amp because frankly I don't ever play anymore. But since I have the Boss pedal, which has amp modulation, I figure with a good set of headphones and I can put the kids to bed and then go downstairs and play without disturbing anyone. I've never really used cans for guitar playing before so I don't really know what sounds good or not? So thanks for the advice.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:30 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
bh wrote:

I assume you want something with a very flat frequency response? Most of the high end cans are very flat - unless you go with Beats or something lol. I don't think you would need a great set of cans for just guitar. Your choice would probably come down to comfort and to open/closed.

I think the AudioTechnica AD700/A700 would suit you pretty good - just pick either open or closed (AD700 = open, A700 = closed). That is a pretty general purpose midrange can that most people are very satisfied with. And for $100 on amazon you can't really beat it, it is a $250 can.

Edit: If you want to go a little cheaper, the Grados SR-60 would be solid. It is a can for rock. If you want to go more expensive, the Senn 580/595/600/650 are the definitive monitor cans. All of these are open only.

Edit 2: If you are playing gigs then go with an IEM obviously. I'm not as experienced with IEMs. I have the Senn IE8 which I love, but I hear that the Westone 3's are a lot more flat and would probably be a lot better for gigging. Also the high-end Shures are really good as well.
Thanks APK. I don't do any gigs or recording. Just want something that sounds good for practicing. I will check these suggestions out. :fist:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 am

cma3585 wrote:Audiophile in the topic while asking about replacing Apple earbuds with nothing too expensive or "classy" for working out? Interesting...

Not sure why the title was changed.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:24 am

bh wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

No giging. I am a very casual player. I used to sort of be in a band, nothing too serious, but I bought a Fender Deluxe and the thing is just too load to use in my house. Also with two kids now I have no time to play except after they go to bed, so rocking out after that is not an option. I want to sell my amp because frankly I don't ever play anymore. But since I have the Boss pedal, which has amp modulation, I figure with a good set of headphones and I can put the kids to bed and then go downstairs and play without disturbing anyone. I've never really used cans for guitar playing before so I don't really know what sounds good or not? So thanks for the advice.

Since you're just playing for yourself sound quality probably isn't your priority. The differences will be minor between a $25 set and a $250 set if you're just jamming. If you were recording I would recommend (not using headphones at all) something more sensitive.

Just use whatever is most comfortable.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:26 am

bh wrote:

I picked these up last year and they are fantastic:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Prof ... B002DP1FTU
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27 am

can we talk about surround sound in here?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:35 am

Admin wrote:
cma3585 wrote:Audiophile in the topic while asking about replacing Apple earbuds with nothing too expensive or "classy" for working out? Interesting...

Not sure why the title was changed.

Because the thread was high jacked about all sound things with APK's rant.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cma3585 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7...incredible. Got a refurbished pair from JR.com for 40 dollars shipped (I am not joking) about a year ago. Things are stylish and sound like monsters. I can see how they demand their retail price tag. If you ever see them for under 100 bucks, get yourself a pair if you're looking for a high quality set of headphones.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby neophool on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Beats by Dr Dre are terrible for the cost. A total ripoff. They will be outperformed significantly by a set of sub-100 dollar Sennheisers or Grados, Audio technicas.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR