Strange Dreams Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Strange Dreams Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:41 am

DocEmrick wrote:Lucid Dreaming can be induced with a lot of practice. Then the real fun begins. I used to be able to Lucid Dream and control the details of my dreams, albeit short it was still very cool. Lost the ability to do it recently, but will be working on getting it back.

There was a 2 month period in college where I was not drinking at all and i got really good at it then. You have to walk the fine line of not making things too wild but not keeping the dream boring. Its not worth doing it if its boring but it sucks when you got something awesome going on and wake yourself up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:46 am

I've had some weird ones...

Craziest one was I found myself in a room with James Bond and John Stamos. Not sure why, but John Stamos had a gun to my head. He pulled the trigger, but the gun was empty and James Bond blew his brains out. I woke up in a major WTF.

I once had a dream during a warz game that was like one of Tony's dreams near the end of Season 2 of the Sopranos (with the fish) and at the end I realized c2i was bad... and he actually was (but I was killed before being able to put this theory into action).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 pm

newarenanow wrote:I haven't had any "weird" dreams lately, but when I do, usually I'm trying to run or fight, and for some reason, I feel like I'm either running in quicksand, or when I try to punch someone, I can't. I swing my arm, but it is like jello and the punch is ineffective. It's like I have no control over my motor skills.

I swear, every time I have a dream where I'm trying to defend myself, this happens to me. Either I'm running incredibly slow, or I'm trying to fight and I'm just weakly punching or kicking. I even realize in the dream that it's happening, but I can't fix it.

It's a horrible horrible feeling.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm sure there is some perceived meaning behind those kind of dreams, and i'd like to know what it is, as I used to have them all the time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:11 am

My only recurring dream is its pitch black and I am walking around and never get anywhere.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 am

I have a recurring dream that a lot of people have(i've read about it a lot). Basically just a shadowy figure or more likely a figure thats just completely black. Usually just chilling in my room watching me, although its impossible to really tell because its just a silhouette. I've read a lot of variations where its standing right by people's bed, rummaging through their stuff, floating over the bed or whatever, but in my dream he's always sitting on the floor to my right with his shoulders facing down towards the "south" end of my room aka the end of my room where my feet are pointed. His head is looking directly at me. This is the entire dream, I wake up, glance over and see him, pretend not to notice him hoping he wont realize I saw him and then I slide under the "safety of my covers". The rest of the night goes the same way whether I wake up or resume the dream. I'm still under the covers and too terrified to peak out for fear that he will suddenly be inches away from me ready to ruin my life.

Also, I knew I had posted other dreams in the past on this site. :pop:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40433
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm sure there is some perceived meaning behind those kind of dreams, and i'd like to know what it is, as I used to have them all the time.

i don't know. i just think that adrenaline messes with your dream. i think you become more aware of your body in these situations since you're digging down deep and then your dream mind has trouble recreating the running or punching visuals since you can really feel that you're not doing it.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I have a recurring dream that a lot of people have(i've read about it a lot). Basically just a shadowy figure or more likely a figure thats just completely black. Usually just chilling in my room watching me, although its impossible to really tell because its just a silhouette. I've read a lot of variations where its standing right by people's bed, rummaging through their stuff, floating over the bed or whatever, but in my dream he's always sitting on the floor to my right with his shoulders facing down towards the "south" end of my room aka the end of my room where my feet are pointed. His head is looking directly at me. This is the entire dream, I wake up, glance over and see him, pretend not to notice him hoping he wont realize I saw him and then I slide under the "safety of my covers". The rest of the night goes the same way whether I wake up or resume the dream. I'm still under the covers and too terrified to peak out for fear that he will suddenly be inches away from me ready to ruin my life.

Also, I knew I had posted other dreams in the past on this site. :pop:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40433

Does he wear a fedora, or a hood? http://memes.org/what-are-shadow-people-and-why-fedora

Dark shadowy figures are frequently the subject of Coast-to-Coast AM episodes. If nothing, it's entertaining.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 am

Woke my dog up last night from a dream.. lol. i wonder what the dude dreams about. he was pouting and whimpering for like 20 minutes keeping me awake. when i woke him he gave me that "holy **** that was crazy" look
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 am

I want to lucid dream. I haven't had the time and patience to work on it yet, though.

One vivid dream I remember having probably 15 years ago or so involved me captaining a pirate ship where the crew was all mice. It was cool.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 am

Not sure if this is a dream or not, but does anyone ever sort of wake up, but still in a sleep (if that makes sense) and it feels like someone is tugging at your covers or stuff is moving around you?

I've had that happen and it's really strange. And it's not my wife pulling at the covers.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:52 am

When I was younger, I had a nightmare that utterly terrified me. I had one of those older brass coat racks by the window at the other end of my room. I woke up in the middle of the night (or so I did in my nightmare), looked over at the coatrack, and on one of the pegs was the head of none other than King Friday from Mister rogers Neighborhood:

Only much more malicious looking. When I tried to slowly slink out of the room, it's head suddenly turned and faced right at me. oh my god
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:39 am

sunday~ pens playing either chicago or canucks. The game was being played at Heinz Hall or the Benedum;
on a stage.
Weirdo part~ Sid Crosby hands me a horseshoe. Lord knows we both need good luck.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:15 pm

I always had the hots for one of my old bosses.
Last night, I dreamt that she showed up at my house wearing roller skates. :?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 pm

and anything else?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:20 pm

mac5155 wrote:and anything else?

Unfortunately, I woke up before anything got started. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:21 pm

"Columbia's Old Boss Skates"
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Rollergirl? :pop:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Come to think of it, I do kind of dig tattooed roller derby chicks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 am

I had my first real lucid dreaming experience last night. I napped from 12:00-3:00 last night and got back up to do some work. I decided that I would try to go lay down in bed from 5:30-6:30. After about 5 minutes I fell asleep and had that feeling of sleep paralysis come over me. When I've experienced this in the past, its been when I nap or sleep at weird times like this, so I was not surprised. But, as typically happens, I was terrified. That first moment you realize you are awake in your mind but your eyes are closed and you can't move your body. I, of course, tried to move to wake my wife to have her wake me up or tried to shout out for the same effect but to no avail. For me, the only thing I can do to relax my anxiety is concentrating on my breathing because I still feel like I can control that. Usually I'll snap out of it after a few minutes. And I did.

But then I kept going back to sleep and immediately hitting sleep paralysis. Must have been a dozen times. And I was like, "I just need to get up the next time I snap out of it." But I was so tired from working late all week that I kept going right back to sleep. Finally, I thought to myself that I remember reading that if you can push through SP, you may experience lucid dreaming. So, I just started telling myself, you are asleep, you can dream, you are asleep, you can dream. Wouldn't you know it, I started to dream. It was crazy. Fully conscious that I was dreaming, I floated down from the sky onto Garrison Place (alley in downtown Pittsburgh). I was walking towards the river. I remember marveling at the perfect detail of the scene, down to the cracks on the street and puddles in the alley.

To make a long story short (oops, already failed), I had some cool adventures. But, then I really freaked out because I had a dream within a dream. Most of time time I was dreaming, I was semi-controlling myself in the dream and I was like "I'm dreaming" every so often. Well, I got into a weird situation in one dream and was like "you're dreaming, wake up" and I woke up in my bed, said "I have to get out of bed now, this is weird," went into the bathroom, brushed my teeth, went down to grab the laptop to tell the dog about my strange dreams and search for the Strange Dreams Thread on LGP. When walking through the kitchen, I saw that the numbers are the digital clock of the microwave were goofy. I was like, "WHOA, WTF?!?!" because I remember from the moving Waking Life that this is a sign that you are dreaming. I ran into the living room to turn on the light and it didn't come on (the other big sign). So I was like, holy ****, I'm still dreaming. And I woke myself up for real then.....at least I hope this is real.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 am

crazy dude. you're now stuck on the West End Bridge typing on your phone, huh :lol:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

mac5155 wrote:crazy dude. you're now stuck on the West End Bridge typing on your phone, huh :lol:

Seriously. I want to do it again, but, at the same time I'm like.. WHAT IF I GET STUCK IN LIMBO?! And my brain turns to mush!
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 am

I get the paralysis thing all the time and its always like you say, you napped or something but still tired. I've never lucid dreamed to that extent but there have been times where I've manipulated the dream.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:53 pm

I had an epic dream last night. Not epic in the sense that anything particularly interesting happened, but just that it was long and I remember a lot of it.

It started with me getting fired from a job I actually had about ten years ago. I got fired because I was bored and consequently was drinking on the job. Plus I was lazy, which is actually true.

Anyway, I then got a more typical office job. Because of my great personality (greater in the dream than in reality), I was rapidly raised to assistant to the big muckity-muck. This caused resentment amongst the other workers. They confronted me in a storeroom and I essentially said "tough luck." So things were going okay.

Then the Rapture happened.

The Rapture. Right there in the office. There was a glass door that appeared in the wall and it was manned by a guy in jeans, a flannel jacket, and a Caterpillar hat. We all just knew that if we made it through that door we'd go to heaven. Some tried immediately. Some went through and some were rejected. The rest of us stood around thinking about whether we'd get accepted or not. Pretty quickly, I decided I was a decent fellow and walked up to the door. After only a moment's pause, the guy let me through. So I was in heaven.

The first order of business was that we each had to get tested for our personality type. I had a roomie and we had some nervousness about the test. Eventually, we both went into the room. We each had a form. There were instructions on it which I don't remember. We were confronted by an assault rifle and a wicked-looking knife. I chose the knife. The knife lifted and swung around me. It lunged at me without striking me. It touched my face. It was razor sharp. I didn't respond and waited. Eventually, I knew that I passed the test and exited the room. I don't know what test my roomie faced with the assault rifle 'cause I never looked back. But we both made it and were presented with a personality profile.

I was described as "Intellectual Anarchist." Neither of those terms is true in real-life, but that's what heaven had to say about me in my dream.

Several other things happened that I don't remember clearly. Then we watched movies. Indoctrination-type things. Gel-like ooze was prominent.

Then my roomie and I went off exploring. Eventually we found a room where surgery was being performed on a fellow heaven-ite. They were extracting some sort of gel-like ooze. I began to get the idea that in fact we were being harvested. It was obviously a Matrix-like scenario.

But I didn't have time to explore that idea. I was awoken by dogs needing to go out.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:54 pm

I wish I had memorable dreams when I slept.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR