Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Roberts to Pens?

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Rumor has it, Roberts just has to waive his NTC.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby positive_pens_fan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:29 pm

positive_pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:30 pm

That would be a sweet move by RS. Roberts is a warrior with plenty to teach the young guns. Especially come playoff time. He leaves everything he has on the ice when the games count. And his production is the same in the playoffs as the regular season.
Question is- will he agree to come here? He wanted to go to TO or Ottawa to be close to his daughter. But I'm not sure either of those are willing to give him the extension he was looking for.
Last edited by ville5 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I hope not...it's too early to ruin my day...

Maybe to Buffalo for Biron? Trade values have been enormous so I guess this wouldn't surprise me...
Last edited by mikey287 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby juicebox1 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:32 pm

I'm not against Roberts or anything.

But this line looks a little weird:

40 19 39
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:32 pm

I think this is the type of player Shero has been looking at all along.

You know, for some reason, I thought he had a lot more playoff experience than he actually does. 114 games is nothing to sneeze at, I just thought it was more.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cojac on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:34 pm

I hope so, he can still play at a high level. He was all over the ice on thursday, and he would look good on Sids LW
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:34 pm

For some reason, I think the team is actually Detroit.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:36 pm

If the Roberts deal goes through, Malone could be sent to Carolina for defenseman Niclas Wallin.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ChinookUT on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:37 pm

If it's true and Roberts waives his no-trade clause, I'm not opposed to this move but Shero better not have overpaid. Roberts is 40 years old, after all.
ChinookUT

Postby conforto45 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:38 pm

ChinookUT wrote:If it's true and Roberts waives his no-trade clause, I'm not opposed to this move but Shero better not have overpaid. Roberts is 40 years old, after all.

and in the best shape of his life...

hmmmm :lol:
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39 pm

ChinookUT wrote:If it's true and Roberts waives his no-trade clause, I'm not opposed to this move but Shero better not have overpaid. Roberts is 40 years old, after all.

Obviously you have never watched Roberts play in the playoffs.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Bowser wrote:If the Roberts deal goes through, Malone could be sent to Carolina for defenseman Niclas Wallin.

Why Wallin blows? The only thing he is good for his screwing up a deke and scoring in playoff OT...but that only works in Carolina, the luckiest team in sports history...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ChinookUT on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:

Obviously you have never watched Roberts play in the playoffs.

Many times. Nonetheless, he's 40 years young.
ChinookUT

Postby ville5 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:40 pm

positive_pens_fan wrote:http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197768&hubname=nhl

IMPOSSIBLE! Eklund says nothing about this. :lol:
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:40 pm

ville5 wrote:
positive_pens_fan wrote:http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197768&hubname=nhl

IMPOSSIBLE! Eklund says nothing about this. :lol:

then it must be written in stone.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crush_Me on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:41 pm

Pitts wrote:For some reason, I think the team is actually Detroit.

Please, no Roberts to the Burgh, as the asking price right now, according to many sources, including TSN, is a roster player, and he needs to waive his NTC to come over here. He's just not worth all the hassle and giving up part of the future for him. Plus he wants a year extension for him to agree on waiving his NTC, which isn't an ideal situation for Shero with his current budget under the present ownership.

I say Laraque and Boynton will be in a Pens uniform by the trade deadline, most likely than not :) That would mean:

Eaton - Gonchar
Whitney - Boynton
Orpik - Scuderi / Melichar
Nas as 7th d-man (because Melichar/Scuderi will probably be included in the package deal, hopefully, along with Malone and some picks)

Lets just see what happens :)
Crush_Me

Postby pmh118 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:42 pm

juicebox1 wrote:I'm not against Roberts or anything.

40 19 39

I agree. Gary Roberts has been a great power forward throughout his career, but there have to be better options out there at this point. Scoring 13 goals at age 40 is respectable and all, but that is old no matter how you look at it--Recchi is 39, but he's playing like he's much younger.

Ryan Malone has about the same number of goals as Roberts, and in fewer games. Obviously, Malone doesn't have as much (or any) playoff experience as Roberts, but I just don't see much upside to this deal. If it were Brendan Shanahan or Bill Guerin, then that's a different story.
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Personally, my money's on Ottawa.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ChinookUT on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:44 pm

pmh118 wrote:I agree. Gary Roberts has been a great power forward throughout his career, but there have to be better options out there at this point. Scoring 13 goals at age 40 is respectable and all, but that is old no matter how you look at it--Recchi is 39, but he's playing like he's much younger.

Shero has said multiple times that he's not going to overpay for a player. I'd wager that Roberts is the best player available without an asking price of 4x his worth.
ChinookUT

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Crush_Me wrote:

Please, no Roberts to the Burgh, as the asking price right now, according to many sources, including TSN, is a roster player, and he needs to waive his NTC to come over here. He's just not worth all the hassle and giving up part of the future for him. Plus he wants a year extension for him to agree on waiving his NTC, which isn't an ideal situation for Shero with his current budget under the present ownership.

I say Laraque and Boynton will be in a Pens uniform by the trade deadline, most likely than not :) That would mean:

Eaton - Gonchar
Whitney - Boynton
Orpik - Scuderi / Melichar
Nas as 7th d-man (because Melichar/Scuderi will probably be included in the package deal, hopefully, along with Malone and some picks)

Lets just see what happens :)

Malone, Melichar/Scuderi, AND some picks for those two... must be missing something in their games but that is WAY WAY WAY too much to give up for them. Roberts would be another good veteran to add and if you are sacrificing the Malone roster spot that is not a big future piece anyways. I like it lets get his NTC waived.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Honestly Roberts could be the best thing to happen to this team. They have the talent already, they just need more grit and more leadership. Cudos to Recchi... but he can't be the only experienced leader on this team. Roberts would be a good fit for this team.. hands down.

I trust RS will not "overpay" for Roberts... as in giving away a 1st or a high prospect.. but I wouldn't think twice to sacrifice a 2nd rounder for him.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Just reported on XM RADIO.

Roberts is a Penguin.

....unless the deal falls through at the last minute
Last edited by The U on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm

pmh118 wrote:
juicebox1 wrote:I'm not against Roberts or anything.

40 19 39

I agree. Gary Roberts has been a great power forward throughout his career, but there have to be better options out there at this point. Scoring 13 goals at age 40 is respectable and all, but that is old no matter how you look at it--Recchi is 39, but he's playing like he's much younger.

Ryan Malone has about the same number of goals as Roberts, and in fewer games. Obviously, Malone doesn't have as much (or any) playoff experience as Roberts, but I just don't see much upside to this deal. If it were Brendan Shanahan or Bill Guerin, then that's a different story.

This deal would not be about the goals. Roberts is a beast. (Something Malone will never be.) Roberts will do ANYTHING required of him for his team to win.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Raab711 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:48 pm

Just reported on XM RADIO.

Roberts is a Penguin.

....unless the deal falls through at the last minute

what did we give up?
Raab711
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next