Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:51 pm

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
EagleMorph wrote:
Bowser wrote:According to a league source, Pens have asked Roberts to make a decision by 9 pm eastern. They have a few other things in the fire that hinge on the deal with Florida and Roberts waiving his NTC.

Pens are balking at the price Phoenix wants for Georges Laraque as the Pens have had more interest in defenseman Nick Boynton.


Thanks for the updates, Bowser.

I'll trust your sources before I believe a single media report. Even if nothing happens with the information from your end, it's always more logical and worthwhile discussing instead of some of the shlock from other sites.
boynton > laraque


Boynton is way too much per year...he's not worth giving up prospects and/or roster players in addition to the 3 mill a year he doesn't deserve
your the only person on the face of the universe who would want laraque over boynton, regardless of there contracts(cept maybe sportsfan) :lol:


I'll second this one.

Good defensemen cost money. Crappy defensemen are cheap or overpaid and playing on the Flyers. Middle of the road defensemen are cheaper.

If you want defensemen better than what we have, they won't be cheap.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,082
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Stoosh on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 pm

KG wrote:I can't take MM saying that Roberts is to slow to play with Crosby....Is Gary Roberts a hack and I don't see it? He is not a speed monger, but he has played with skilled guys his whole career...


KG,

The funny thing is that he's bashing Roberts up one side and down the other, and if this trade happens, he'll have him on his show by the end of the week and he'll be kissing his *** in an interview.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Postby KG on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:57 pm

Stoosh wrote:
KG wrote:I can't take MM saying that Roberts is to slow to play with Crosby....Is Gary Roberts a hack and I don't see it? He is not a speed monger, but he has played with skilled guys his whole career...


KG,

The funny thing is that he's bashing Roberts up one side and down the other, and if this trade happens, he'll have him on his show by the end of the week and he'll be kissing his *** in an interview.


I never listen to this guy, but the stuff he is spewing just annoyed me. Here in NY I hear sports radio like this all the time. What's up with the callers? they sound like they are afraid to give him their opinion. Whatever.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Stoosh wrote:
KG wrote:I can't take MM saying that Roberts is to slow to play with Crosby....Is Gary Roberts a hack and I don't see it? He is not a speed monger, but he has played with skilled guys his whole career...


KG,

The funny thing is that he's bashing Roberts up one side and down the other, and if this trade happens, he'll have him on his show by the end of the week and he'll be kissing his *** in an interview.


Good thing it isn't the other way around. Roberts is only going to probably be a rental. He wouldn't have enough time to finishing kissing that monstrosity.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,082
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Paulie_WalnutzII on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm

If you call Madden with an opinion that differs from his, you will be interrupted, berated, made to look a fool, and hung up on before you are able to get a point across. Last week, I was so tempted to call in because he kept stating that Laraque doesn't play much, and when he is dressed, he usually doesn't leave the bench.
Paulie_WalnutzII
 

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:09 pm

Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:I was so tempted to call in because he kept stating that Laraque doesn't play much, and when he is dressed, he usually doesn't leave the bench.


Thing is, he can spin it to say that 12 minutes out of 60 isn't usually leaving the bench. :lol:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,115
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm

At least it sounds like Madden was against bringing Laraque here. There must be some intelligence bouncing around in that big head of his head
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,082
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Paulie_WalnutzII on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Which is the perfect reason to bring him here.
Paulie_WalnutzII
 

Postby kirk on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 pm

KG wrote:I can't take MM saying that Roberts is to slow to play with Crosby....Is Gary Roberts a hack and I don't see it? He is not a speed monger, but he has played with skilled guys his whole career...


I really don't get this. Is Roberts a noticeably faster skater than Malone? I don't think so. But, he's a smarter skater, along the same lines that Staal is a smart skater with deceptive speed. He will give Sid everything Malone doesn't, a guy who wins 1 on 1 battles along the boards, a guy who will help a little more in transition, a guy who knows how and when to establish and maintain possession in front of the net, and a guy who anticipate and see, rather than react to, a developing play.

But, beyond all of that, here's an angle to consider. Roberts has given TB fits all year. He traditionally has given Ottawa fits. On other words, he's a guy who can help the Pens with their two potentially most unfavorable playoff matchups.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:27 pm

if there were a deal out there...

malone, welch, and say some picks

for

someone better than gary roberts OR a legit defensive upgrade
(no rentals)

would you think that would benefit the team more than roberts and say some middle to lower tier defenseman
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Postby kirk on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:28 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:if there were a deal out there...

malone, welch, some picks

for

someone better than gary roberts / a legit defensive upgrade
(no rentals)

would you think that would benefit the team more than roberts and say some middle to lower tier defenseman


Yes, but even if Doan and Boyton both could be acquired in a trade, the price tag would be infinitely greater than Malone, Welch, some picks.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Postby crzymike on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Jesse wrote:
Spikey wrote:
KG wrote:Eklund: Sources say that Roberts is "Seriously considering" going to Pitt at this hour.


Well I would certainly hope that as an adult and a professional, the man would seriously consider any option he was given. Eklund is really giving some earth-shattering news there.


Whats even better is that he reported Kovy was on waivers after USA Today incorrectly did.


Thus rendering obvious where he gets his sources from.
He said on leafslunch that he didnt see Roberts waiving the no trade clause to come here ,WOW! What a piece of work eklund is!
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Pipes - Are you willing to eat some major crow if the Pens acquire Roberts so they can move another forward to get the important veteran defenseman. There is a domino effect required to improve the blueline, Roberts deal needs to happen for Pens to feel comfortable.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:08 am

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Methinks two trades R in the works....

Roberts to the top line and Nolan or Doan to the second line. Maybe you all get your wish and Ouellet will be moved off that line.

Boynton may be headed here as well. Welch will be traded for Roberts so I've heard, and Malone and picks to the Yotes for any combination of Nolan/Boynton/Doan (I really hope its Doan).
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,093
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Postby SportsFan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Doan isn't going to get traded. They just signed him to a 5 year contract.
SportsFan
 

Postby IcePack on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:38 pm

Not much new but PG has this on their web site @5:33

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07057/765150-100.stm
IcePack
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:48 pm
Location: C-Bus

Postby Corvidae on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:38 pm

SportsFan wrote:Doan isn't going to get traded. They just signed him to a 5 year contract.

This is true. Also, Nolan is washed up and I REALLY hate him. Shero should consider my feelings when making trades. :wink:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,111
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:47 am

Postby kirk on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:40 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Methinks two trades R in the works....

Roberts to the top line and Nolan or Doan to the second line. Maybe you all get your wish and Ouellet will be moved off that line.

Boynton may be headed here as well. Welch will be traded for Roberts so I've heard, and Malone and picks to the Yotes for any combination of Nolan/Boynton/Doan (I really hope its Doan).


Methinks you are correct. Methinks if the other deal is Malone, Ouellet, Melichar, and a #1 for Nolan and Boynton that me will not be too depressed. Meknows Roberts and Nolan is a lot of years to add to the equation, but methinks Roberts-Sid-Rex and Staal-Malkin-Nolan represents an upgrade, especially for the type of hockey that will be played in the playoffs. Methinks Ekman is coming back, so there's a buffer if someone gets hurt or EC doesn't perform on the third line. Methinks Boynton gives the Pens a top four defenseman. And, methinks with Roberts, Nolan, and Ekman coming off the books at the end of the year, the Pens will have money to spend in free agency to sign a winger for Sid.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:42 pm

kirk wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Methinks two trades R in the works....

Roberts to the top line and Nolan or Doan to the second line. Maybe you all get your wish and Ouellet will be moved off that line.

Boynton may be headed here as well. Welch will be traded for Roberts so I've heard, and Malone and picks to the Yotes for any combination of Nolan/Boynton/Doan (I really hope its Doan).


Methinks you are correct. Methinks if the other deal is Malone, Ouellet, Melichar, and a #1 for Nolan and Boynton that me will not be too depressed. Meknows Roberts and Nolan is a lot of years to add to the equation, but methinks Roberts-Sid-Rex and Staal-Malkin-Nolan represents an upgrade, especially for the type of hockey that will be played in the playoffs. Methinks Ekman is coming back, so there's a buffer if someone gets hurt or EC doesn't perform on the third line. Methinks Boynton gives the Pens a top four defenseman. And, methinks with Roberts, Nolan, and Ekman coming off the books at the end of the year, the Pens will have money to spend in free agency to sign a winger for Sid.


Me don't mind this idea too much. Me thinks you could be onto something.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,082
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:42 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/morriso ... on_to.html

Gary Roberts holding out hope for the leaf... :roll:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,143
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:44 pm

penny lane wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/morrison/2007/02/gary_roberts_has_a_decision_to.html

Gary Roberts holding out hope for the leaf... :roll:

Obviously so is Scott Morrison :lol:
Guins
 

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:44 pm

Roberts would be F*&king CRAAAAZZZZZYYY to not want to play with Sid!
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,093
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:45 pm

Bowser wrote:Pipes - Are you willing to eat some major crow if the Pens acquire Roberts so they can move another forward to get the important veteran defenseman. There is a domino effect required to improve the blueline, Roberts deal needs to happen for Pens to feel comfortable.


Not really, I've never denied the d for a forward, forward for a d balancing of the roster

I would rather package malone and welch for a much stronger upgrade on D...with ekman coming back we're balanced, and just like roberts he doesnt correct the long-term problem.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Postby The U on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:48 pm

If we get Roberts and then trade Malone/EC/Welch or whatever to LA or PHX for Miller or Boynton or whatever (maybe even a package deal) I wouldnt mind at all.

With Ekman coming back Roberts doesnt even have to play on line 1. Roberts would be fine on our 3rd line, he'd do a good job in that banging, crashing roll.

Our #1 priority has to be defense. If we "have to" acquire Roberts in order to ship out Malone or EC or whomever and then get a GOOD defenseman, it'll all be worth it IMO.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,649
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:34 pm

Postby mikulas on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:50 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Roberts would be F*&king CRAAAAZZZZZYYY to not want to play with Sid!


It's entirely possible that Roberts would love to play with Crosby, but would not agree to come to Pittsburgh. Do you see why?
mikulas
 

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


e-mail