Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby longtimefan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:51 pm

Methinks Boynton gives the Pens a top four defenseman

Phoenix doesn't think so. He is sixth in average ice time amongst their dmen. A little more than 16 minutes a game. I'm intrigued because of the reputation, but why has he fallen so far out of favor with Gretzky?
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:52 pm

I apologize if I missed it in this long thread, but the Globe & Mail says it is Welch going the other way. I had seen his name mentioned, but I don't think it was sourced. If so, I apologize.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:54 pm

longtimefan wrote:

Phoenix doesn't think so. He is sixth in average ice time amongst their dmen. A little more than 16 minutes a game. I'm intrigued because of the reputation, but why has he fallen so far out of favor with Gretzky?

Most other team's #6 dman are better than our top 4. It's the weakest position on our team....thats why we need an upgrade so badly.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:55 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I apologize if I missed it in this long thread, but the Globe & Mail says it is Welch going the other way. I had seen his name mentioned, but I don't think it was sourced. If so, I apologize.

Yea it has Mike, but this thread is going like wildfire, I got it off PSI & then another poster got it from somewhere else Hope you're feeling better
Last edited by Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guins

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:55 pm

mikulas wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Roberts would be F*&king CRAAAAZZZZZYYY to not want to play with Sid!

It's entirely possible that Roberts would love to play with Crosby, but would not agree to come to Pittsburgh. Do you see why?

:idea: we use G Roberts to get T Kaberle from Toronto?
:) or other leafs...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:56 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Roberts would be F*&king CRAAAAZZZZZYYY to not want to play with Sid!

He may want to go to Buffalo or Ottawa, but I can't see why he would think the Leafs are going to even make the playoffs at all.

His best chance to make the playoffs may not be with the Pens, but it way better than the chances in Florida if he stays or in Toronto if he did go there. His best chance to have the largest impact and thus increase his value for next year would be here. He can still score, and would be 100% more effective on Sid's line than Malone.

If Malone stayed, he'd be great on the third line and could actually EXCEED expectations for offense instead of falling short of them on the 1st line.

Muckler is saying prices in general are too high, so I don't see him getting into the mix.

The question may be, "Gary, do you want to go to the Playoffs or not? If so, you can play with Crosby and Recchi in them."
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ChinookUT on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:57 pm

The U wrote:Most other team's #6 dman are better than our top 4. It's the weakest position on our team....thats why we need an upgrade so badly.

Weakest position on the team, yes... but league-wide #6 defensemen are better than how well Eaton and Gonchar have been playing defensively for the most part? I must disagree.
ChinookUT

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:58 pm

roberts has 13 goals, so you still consider him a first liner?
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I apologize if I missed it in this long thread, but the Globe & Mail says it is Welch going the other way. I had seen his name mentioned, but I don't think it was sourced. If so, I apologize.

If we are trading a 23yr old for a 39 yr old, we are nuts. Sorry, but that is how I feel.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Easton on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:roberts has 13 goals, so you still consider him a first liner?

When malone has 12 and total 21 points, and plays like complete and utter crap most nights -- yes. Roberts isn't playing with Crosby, either.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ChinookUT on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:roberts has 13 goals, so you still consider him a first liner?

Malone has 12, so could Roberts be any worse?
ChinookUT

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:00 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:

If we are trading a 23yr old for a 39 yr old, we are nuts. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

He's 24 & it's obvious that RS doesn't think he's part of the future
Guins

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:00 pm

we should've more heavily pursued someone like marco sturm then
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ChinookUT on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:we should've more heavily pursued someone like marco sturm then

And overpaid nearly to the extent of Tkachuk? No thanks.
ChinookUT

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:03 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:we should've more heavily pursued someone like marco sturm then

UMMMMMMMM don't know how to break this to you, but they weren't trading Sturm
Guins

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:04 pm

If it is Welch, I still think it's an okay deal considering the market. Look at what guys like Tkachuk and Forsberg fetched and they're also rentals. Welch has not developed as expected and we have much better prospects already in the system. I'd sooner give up a guy like Welch for a rental than a 1st round pick, or even Letang at this point.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:07 pm

Roberts has missed some games this year, so his goals are down a little. Plus he's playing on the wreched Panthers. On Sid's wing he'd net at least 25-30 over a full season if he played 70-75 healthy games. Look what Croz has done for Rex's career!! If Croz can't bring Malone to life, nobody can. Maybe they have better barbers in Arizona.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:07 pm

longtimefan wrote:

I bolded the problem for you.

Gretzky is a poor coach
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:10 pm

Well said, magnum. Gretzky is a poor coach. Maybe all the botox has taken a toll on him.

Anyway, Therrien could get more out of Boynton. Much more.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:13 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Well said, magnum. Gretzky is a poor coach. Maybe all the botox has taken a toll on him.

Anyway, Therrien could get more out of Boynton. Much more.

Definitely. He'd instantly be a Top 4 defenseman here. If nobody thinks that Boynton isn't at least an upgrade over Melichar, Scuderi, Nasrredine and Orpik then I might have to take up drinking Bong Water too.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:13 pm

This was an honest to God headline on Ekturd's site, Souray looking like he could be moved!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Last edited by Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guins

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Guins wrote:This was an honest to God headline on Ekturd's site Souray looking like he could be moved!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

The he's staying out. If Souray moves anywhere, I hope its to the grater Pittsburgh area.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Souray is not on the radar, just ignore any talk of him coming to Pittsburgh.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Bowser wrote:Souray is not on the radar, just ignore any talk of him coming to Pittsburgh.

I didn't mean to Pgh it was a funny headline typical weasel Ekturd
Guins

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:17 pm

I don't like giving up Welch for a rent-a-player. I do have some doubts as to whether or not he is the player in question. First, that would contradict the TSN report that said the Pens would be giving up a young roster player with potential. Welch isn't a roster player; he's in the minors. Second, Welch is hurt right now. He might very well be concussed, though WB officials have not characterized his injury as such.

I'd prefer EC to be the guy. I like him, but I don't see how he fits into the team long term. Moving him for Roberts would bump Malone to the ECs spot on LW with Talbot and Armstrong and that make the forwards better overall IMO.

Welch does still have a spot in the team's future plans IMO. And though this point will be largely missed by most people, Welch not being up here has more to do with contracts than his play, not that he's performed at an All-Star level to this point. Scuderi and Melichar are on one-way deals. Nasreddine is subject to waivers. Welch is on a two way and is exempt from waivers.

Welch was told by management coming in that due to his contract status, he would be shuttling back and forth.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins