Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:00 pm

penny lane wrote:J Colony from MM's show said something that
Gary Roberts is going to sleep/take the night to think
about trade to Pittsburgh.
No offense to G Roberts, but If I am R Shero
and he says that to me, I say , throwing you back
into the lake for others.

I agree with this. If he doesn't decide by, say, midnight, deal's off if I'm GM. There isn't enough time to let him screw around for 24 hours. And if he's taking that long, that tells me his heart isn't in it anyway. Move on to plan B.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Wow, certainly hope we're not trading our top defensive prospect for a 40-yr. old rent-a-player.

Yeah, you're right. We're not trading Kris Letang or Alex Goligoski or Carl Sneep for Gary Roberts.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm

bigkam wrote:Wow, certainly hope we're not trading our top defensive prospect for a 40-yr. old rent-a-player. There's no way you can dress that pig up; bad deal. I give Shero more credit than that.

Since when is Welch our best D prospect?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm

bigkam wrote:Wow, certainly hope we're not trading our top defensive prospect for a 40-yr. old rent-a-player. There's no way you can dress that pig up; bad deal. I give Shero more credit than that.

i dont think welch is our top defensive prospect.. definatly good, but letang is better..
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:03 pm

pens20 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
pens20 wrote:I'm not going to read through the 500+ posts to see if this has been mentioned yet, but I read elsewhere that Roberts would be used on the second line, not Sid's, so perhaps Staal would get a chance on Sid's wing...

possibly trade ouelett?? that clears a wing on the 2nd line..

I was thinking...

Staal/Crosby/Recchi
Roberts/Malkin/Ouellet
???

poor geno
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Posterboy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:03 pm

I believe the sequence you described is correct, but that can easily be explained by the Pens preferring to see Welch get top pair minutes in WB along with loads of special teams time instead of getting 3rd pair minutes here.

Thanks for confirming, I wasn't sure. That would pretty much have killed my argument.

If I also recall, they paired him with Whitney on the secound unit. If he could have showed more, I think they would have given him his minutes. I agree whole-heartidly he should get top minutes in WBS at this stage of development as oppossed to third pairing in Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure I trade a 24 year old defenceman just voted a starting AHL All Star for a 40 year old winger, regardless of whether he's regressed a little this year.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:05 pm

pens20 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
pens20 wrote:I'm not going to read through the 500+ posts to see if this has been mentioned yet, but I read elsewhere that Roberts would be used on the second line, not Sid's, so perhaps Staal would get a chance on Sid's wing...

I was thinking...

Staal/Crosby/Recchi
Roberts/Malkin/Ouellet
???

if thats the case, i look for the production from the 2nd line to drop drastically.. ouelett already contributes minimally, and malkin and staal have seemed to grow accustomed to play with each other. have to see if and how malkin can adjust...
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Easton on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:05 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:
pens20 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

I was thinking...

Staal/Crosby/Recchi
Roberts/Malkin/Ouellet
???

poor geno

I can hear him now. "You're not going to take away MY Staal!"
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:
pens20 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

I was thinking...

Staal/Crosby/Recchi
Roberts/Malkin/Ouellet
???

poor geno

slightly off-topic, I'm still waiting to see the jack-pot line
of :
Staal/Sid/Geno!
:lol:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 pm

ziggystardust wrote:and just like Orpik and Whitney, Welch can't actually play defense.

He had to be good at defense at some point. He would not have got to where he is if he could play defense at the previous levels.

After 27 NHL games, you are confident he won't adjust? I'm not.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:09 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:J Colony from MM's show said something that
Gary Roberts is going to sleep/take the night to think
about trade to Pittsburgh.
No offense to G Roberts, but If I am R Shero
and he says that to me, I say , throwing you back
into the lake for others.

I agree with this. If he doesn't decide by, say, midnight, deal's off if I'm GM. There isn't enough time to let him screw around for 24 hours. And if he's taking that long, that tells me his heart isn't in it anyway. Move on to plan B.

Ehh, I don't know. Put yourself in his situation, it's not that easy a decision.

Given his history, if and when he decides to come to Pittsburgh, I wouldn't question his desire.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:
pens20 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

I was thinking...

Staal/Crosby/Recchi
Roberts/Malkin/Ouellet
???

poor geno

I am thinking this might happen

Malkin/Crosby/Recchi
Roberts/Staal/Oullet
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:18 pm

Guins

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:21 pm

netwolf wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:and just like Orpik and Whitney, Welch can't actually play defense.

He had to be good at defense at some point. He would not have got to where he is if he could play defense at the previous levels.

After 27 NHL games, you are confident he won't adjust? I'm not.

Wow, if not for the black and gold on this site I would be SURE that this was a NY Rangers discussion board. "GET THAT VETERAN! GET THIS VETERAN! TRADE THE YOUNG GUYS!! WHO CARES??!! THEY CAN'T PLAY!! THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!" Roberts is 40 years old guys. He will be doing card shows and playing golf when the Penguins are the favorite to win the Cup in two of three years. A second round pick, sure. One of our top (if not THE TOP) defensive prospect? NO F'N WAY!

Guerin is 36 and is one year removed from scoring 13 GOALS IN 70 GAMES. I am not interested in seeing us give up a good young player and a #1 pick for him ever. And either of these guys could (and probably will) walk after this season. I hope these rumors are false. My opinion of Shero would drop considerably if they aren't.

The Penguins are not going to win the Cup this year and making deals as if they are would be DUMB. In two years we will be kicking ourselves that we let a guy like Welch go fo a 40 year old rent-a-player.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Paulie_WalnutzII on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:23 pm

If the deadline is 9PM and he hasn't said anything yet, I'm starting to think this won't happen. that way, he won't look like too much of a bad guy. He didn't not waive his NTC. Just didn't do it in time.

I'd give him until 9PM, then move on.

These trades, or near trades, are starting to resemble a search for a new owner.
Paulie_WalnutzII

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:24 pm

Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:If the deadline is 9PM and he hasn't said anything yet, I'm starting to think this won't happen. that way, he won't look like too much of a bad guy. He didn't not waive his NTC. Just didn't do it in time.

These trades, or near trades, are starting to resemble a search for a new owner.

I don't think anyone knows what Shero's deadline is. I've read 9pm, 10pm, and "Roberts told Shero he was going to sleep on it and get back to him in the morning."
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:28 pm

if we do make a trade tonight, whats the chances the traded player will play tomorrow?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Anyone else think it is funny that we have a "Plan B" for trades in place already but we can't finish "Plan B" on the d*** arena yet ? :lol:
Last edited by joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Welch is a bit much to give up, but Roberts is a good addition. I would stomach this if Shero brings in a top 4 defenseman signed through next year.

Would you give up a 1st and Malone for Recchi? I wouldn't either, and Guerin is more of the same. His hype is inflating his value.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:29 pm

mac5155 wrote:if we do make a trade tonight, whats the chances the traded player will play tomorrow?

slim to none
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Old Used Pylon on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:30 pm

If we do this deal, there has to be more to come! This one doesn't make sense for next year and I don't think it helps enough this year. We need Welch to turn into a solid defensive guy next year, that can still move the puck up. I don't think it's out of the question that turns into that. Florida probably agrees.
Old Used Pylon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:30 pm

pens20 wrote:
netwolf wrote:
Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:If the deadline is 9PM and he hasn't said anything yet, I'm starting to think this won't happen. that way, he won't look like too much of a bad guy. He didn't not waive his NTC. Just didn't do it in time.

I don't think anyone knows what Shero's deadline is. I've read 9pm, 10pm, and "Roberts told Shero he was going to sleep on it and get back to him in the morning."

I heard that Shero and Malkin will be visiting Roberts tonight and force him to waive his NTC at 3:00am.

Are they taking the radiator & something to beat Roberts about the Battery :lol:
Guins

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:30 pm

pens20 wrote:I heard that Shero and Malkin will be visiting Roberts tonight and force him to waive his NTC at 3:00am.

They better remember to take a battery with them so they can beat Roberts about it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:30 pm

pens20 wrote:
netwolf wrote:

I heard that Shero and Malkin will be visiting Roberts tonight and force him to waive his NTC at 3:00am.

Then Roberts is going to flee once he gets to Pittsburgh and show up in Toronto or Ottowa in 2 weeks :shock:
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:32 pm

netwolf wrote:
pens20 wrote:I heard that Shero and Malkin will be visiting Roberts tonight and force him to waive his NTC at 3:00am.

They better remember to take a battery with them so they can beat Roberts about it.

theyre taking one of those shock pens with them to sign the contract too.. gotta get him fired up somehow
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins