Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby joopen on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:17 am

magnum wrote:Just saw it on TSN... Good, the suspense can end for Part 1. Roberts is coming, Welch is going, now which direction is Shero taking Malone? Is it for Guerin? Is it for Babchuk? Is it for Boynton? Is it for Miller?

I think Malone gets packaged with a pick for a run at Guerin. If that does not work then he is packaged to PHX for Owen Nolan and Boynton/Morris... all speculation of course and by no means backed by fact.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stoosh on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:19 am

magnum wrote:
His inability to excel at the AHL level on a consistent level is what has them most concerned. The issue becomes compounded because now the front office isn't sure if he's ready to step in here next year and play well enough to merit even a spot on the third pairing. And after this year, they can't just send him back to Wilkes-Barre. He has to clear waivers if they send him down - something he'll never do if they tried.

Good point that I hadn't seen brought up before about Welch. Didn't even think about about him having to clear waivers next year. If they don't think he'd be able to crack the lineup next year which is reasonable since he';s struggled in WBS and can't beat out Scuderi, Melichar and Nas, then it makes sense to try and trade him and get some sort of return. Not that I was against this, but the waivers thing was something that hadn't been brought up before.

As far as Roberts, I don't see Shero making this deal if it involves signing Roberts. He's being brought in as a rental and nothing more I'd assume and then in the off season Shero goes out and signed a UFA for crosby. Although you'd have wonder that if Recchi can be productive with Sid, maybe Roberts would round out that 2nd line next season and Shero gets that younger UFA for Sid's wing... I dunno.

It wasn't so much that he couldn't beat out Scuderi, Melichar and Nasreddine. It was more than he couldn't beat out Orpik. If he couldn't crack the top four here, they rather would've had him in Wilkes-Barre playing 25+ minutes a night on the top pairing there and dominating play the way he should be, given his experience level and pedigree at this point. The concerns started when he began playing too inconsistently even at the AHL level.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:19 am

nothing in espn's bottom line yet..?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby magnum on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:20 am

Stoosh wrote:
magnum wrote:
His inability to excel at the AHL level on a consistent level is what has them most concerned. The issue becomes compounded because now the front office isn't sure if he's ready to step in here next year and play well enough to merit even a spot on the third pairing. And after this year, they can't just send him back to Wilkes-Barre. He has to clear waivers if they send him down - something he'll never do if they tried.

Good point that I hadn't seen brought up before about Welch. Didn't even think about about him having to clear waivers next year. If they don't think he'd be able to crack the lineup next year which is reasonable since he';s struggled in WBS and can't beat out Scuderi, Melichar and Nas, then it makes sense to try and trade him and get some sort of return. Not that I was against this, but the waivers thing was something that hadn't been brought up before.

As far as Roberts, I don't see Shero making this deal if it involves signing Roberts. He's being brought in as a rental and nothing more I'd assume and then in the off season Shero goes out and signed a UFA for crosby. Although you'd have wonder that if Recchi can be productive with Sid, maybe Roberts would round out that 2nd line next season and Shero gets that younger UFA for Sid's wing... I dunno.

It wasn't so much that he couldn't beat out Scuderi, Melichar and Nasreddine. It was more than he couldn't beat out Orpik. If he couldn't crack the top four here, they rather would've had him in Wilkes-Barre playing 25+ minutes a night on the top pairing there and dominating play the way he should be, given his experience level and pedigree at this point. The concerns started when he began playing too inconsistently even at the AHL level.

And considering how poorly IMO Orpik has played this season, that's pretty bad.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:34 am

mac5155 wrote:nothing in espn's bottom line yet..?

You won't see nothing on ESPN until Thursday probably. :lol:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:30 am

I think Malone gets packaged with a pick for a run at Guerin. If that does not work then he is packaged to PHX for Owen Nolan and Boynton/Morris... all speculation of course and by no means backed by fact.

That makes sense. They still can make a move for Guerin then regardless what happnes there acquire a dman - obviously they have a spare winger now, be it Malone or someone else
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:33 am

Keep in mind they may add a dman prior to 3pm EST and if he's signed through next season or they sign an UFA [Rivet, Sopel, Sami Salo, whoever] in July that again makes Welch quite expendable seeing Gonchar, Eaton & Whitney aren't going anywhere.
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:04 am

Wanna move the fathead contest to this thread?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stopper40 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:10 am

stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Coozman1 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:37 am

I may have missed something in the last 25 pages of thread, but could the Pens flip Roberts to TO?

Welch fo Roberts is a good trade but if TO wants him.....

Ron
Coozman1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: tough call

Postby Penspal on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:40 am

Okay, so maybe I was right about Welch. 8-)

or maybe I was just lucky. But I was the first to point to Welch as the potential guy to be traded. Pats himself on back and wonders can I maybe someday be recognized for my talents... maybe even a promotion to the ECHL from Jr. A?. Even if its just a cup of coffee in the pro's, a little Naserdine experience never hurt. :) (for those of you who are not insightful, that was a poor attempt at humor... hey, no coffee yet)

But really, I could not be happier with this deal. Welch has not been used much yet, so the Pens are not losing anything short term. They Pens have Naser in the wings, and some up and comers in jrs/college. Welch will be missed, but Roberts really adds some missing elements to this team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Penspal wrote:Gary Roberts... winger, intense, strong, hard nose, very fit, experienced playoff player.

All things the Pens need, but I hate to give up

EC (wicked shot, sure thing on shootout, offensive upside)
DM (great speed, puck control, defence, offensive upside)

I hate to say it, but Malone or Thorburn are the only two guys I would mind in this trade. And with Malone, he continues to show just enough spark to make me think there is so more that can be developed. Malone has been playing much better along the wall, and his PK has picked up. EC, hmmmm, I'm not sure if he is tough enough for a long playoff stretch, talent is not in question, that shot.... hate to see it go)

I would love to see Roberts in a Pens uni, but I'm reserving judgement on what the Pens will give up. Any rumors yet as to who? Who was not at practice.... Anyway see a dman called up from WBS, might mean its a defenseman. Welch traded maybe?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:45 am

Coozman1 wrote:I may have missed something in the last 25 pages of thread, but could the Pens flip Roberts to TO?

Welch fo Roberts is a good trade but if TO wants him.....

Ron

I can't see Roberts taking the evening to think about it if he knew ahead of time he was going to be flipped to TO.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby vcip on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:55 am

I am not happy about adding a 40 year old for anything but a pick. Would not give up a player.

They should be looking D first anyway.
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins