GMRS opens by offering condolences to all those affected by the Yaroslavi crash
Dr Collins is describing what a concussion is.
Dr Collins is describing the treatment of Crosby
- At first, showed signs of "significant cerebral concussion"
- Anticipated a very long recovery
- They are seeing significant improvements recently
- "Vestibular" type of concussion, affects basic motion system -- Crosby's system is why he's incredible
- This is a manageable injury, anticipating Crosby returns to hockey
- Want to make sure he's fully recovered
- Started to have symptoms when he hit 80-90%
- Dr Carrick has helped Crosby make exception progress
- Assessed Crosby yesterday, best results they've seen, getting closer to normal
- Crosby is in "reconditioning mode"
- They are being very cautious with his recovery
Dr Carrick is speaking about Crosby coming to see him
- Explaining what has been affected with Crosby, and what they're doing
- Remapped his spacial recognition, it's "marvelous"
- Thinks are working well now, has to condition to work with new patterns
- "It's Christmas for Sid Crosby and the people who care for him"
- Greatest concern is Crosby's life, in and after hockey
- Epidemic incidence of head injuries right now
- Crosby's current outcome is "good"
Crosby being questioned now
- Feels good now, never considered retirement
- Definition of "contact": any type of contact, they all create different reactions in the body (ie: skating, walking, or "body contact")
- Crosby has to recondition before contact is fully re-introduced, prognosis is excellent that there will be no long-term problems
- Return to play? Very positive, not quite there yet
- Why is it "Christmas"? Recovery will have very good outcome, Crosby shouldn't have any issues (Dr Carrick)
- Can Crosby regain vestibular function completely? Crosby's 100% is different from anyone else; he's a ferrari; no longer having vestibular symptoms at 70-80% of reconditioning (now)
- Crosby: "maybe I could get by with 90% but I'm not going to roll the dice"
- Not going to allow Crosby to return at less than 100% (Dr Collins)
- Crosby has been fully compliant with doctors, and has worked incredibly hard at rehabilitation; symptoms started coming back at 89%
- "There remains a possibility that you will never play again.." - Crosby: "a slight one, but I wouldn't bet on that", not preparing for any non-return to hockey
- "What is 90% for you?" When he fatigues/stresses himself on turns, quick movements, etc
- "What was life like?" Didn't like driving, watching tv. Frustrated when symptoms came back.
- Didn't get regular updates because it'd change every couple days
Sorry, just got pulled into a conference call. Going to have to piece the rest together.