Tennis

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Tennis

Postby Draftnik on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Djokovic is punished for being the #1 seed. Playing Federer in the semis is no way to reward the #1 player. Nadal is getting a free pass to the finals.

Plus if this goes to 5 sets Federer (or Djokovic if he comes back) is going to be more tired for the finals. I know a lot of tournaments have the 1 & 3 seeds on the same side of the draw but in an era like this where 3 players are significantly better than the others the seeding issue should be adjusted to not punish the #1 seed.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Seeding is almost like college polls. Did they set up the seeding to ensure the 4 best players remain in the tournament for the ticket draw?

Watching this match; Roger has to end points sooner. Little nervous!

I swear I just saw Ron Burkle sitting with the Djokovic group!!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:52 pm

What is Federer doing?!?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:21 pm

The top 4 seeds are put in separate quadrants to guarantee they can't meet until the semis, but for some reason 1 plays 3 and 2 plays 4 in the semis. It doesn't make sense IMO.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:52 pm

WoW
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby obhave on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:53 pm

This crowd is amazing. So is this set. Since they are both my favourite players I can't pick one over the other. Just enjoying the awesomeness of these two :thumb:
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Its great tennis to be sure but I can't help thinking how draining this will be on the winner while Nadal essentially gets a walkover (from a matchup perspective) in the semis. I suppose Murray is capable of giving the performance of his life or Nadal is capable of not playing well but it is beyond unfair that Djokovic has to beat the 2 of the greatest players in the history of tennis to win the US Open when he is the #1 seed and Nadal is gifted (on paper) a free pass to the finals.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:09 pm

There is just something I don't like about Djokovic. It is hell getting old. Roger has to figure out something here. His reactions are exactly what I don't like about him. :thumbdown:

Top this nadal and murray!
Last edited by penny lane on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby gregory on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:12 pm

penny lane wrote:Seeding is almost like college polls. Did they set up the seeding to ensure the 4 best players remain in the tournament for the ticket draw?

Watching this match; Roger has to end points sooner. Little nervous!

I swear I just saw Ron Burkle sitting with the Djokovic group!!

Yeah, that was Burkle and Diddy--or whatever his alter ego is these days.
gregory

Postby Draftnik on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:15 pm

That was a gutty win by Djokovic. I thought he was losing his focus when he started to fight the crowd for favoring Federer. I'm in the ABN camp (anybody but Nadal), so I like the outcome because Djokovic has won his last 5 matches vs Nadal.

My favorite player is Monfils but I will soon favor the young American Sock as soon as he losses his spare tire and matures into the great player his talent says he can be.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby obhave on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Draftnik wrote:That was a gutty win by Djokovic. I thought he was losing his focus when he started to fight the crowd for favoring Federer. I'm in the ABN camp (anybody but Nadal), so I like the outcome because Djokovic has won his last 5 matches vs Nadal.

My favorite player is Monfils but I will soon favor the young American Sock as soon as he losses his spare tire and matures into the great player his talent says he can be.

ABN? I'm gald I'm not the only one like that. I hate nadal. Great win for Djokovic, in past years he would have gotten frustrated, and let that frustration cause problems with his play after being two sets down.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Maybe Burkle can get something going for a tennis tournament at the Consol. :P Or Sean P Diddy Combs singing the Anthem at penguin games. :lol:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tomas on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Draftnik wrote:The top 4 seeds are put in separate quadrants to guarantee they can't meet until the semis, but for some reason 1 plays 3 and 2 plays 4 in the semis. It doesn't make sense IMO.

#3 and #4 are drawn *randomly* in the opposite halves of the draws, so that they can't meet #1 or #2 until the samis.. The fact that #1 played #3 a few recent times are just by luck. Same with seeds 5-8: randomly drawn, but not to play No 1-4 until the Quartefinals, etc.

The following link leads to ATP rulebook in PDF format:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Corporate/Rulebook.aspx

The seeding is explained on p. 92. (Long story short: #1 seed goes on line 1 of the chart. #2 seed goes on line 128 of the chart.

For seeds3 & 4, the first drawn goes on line 33, the second drawn goes on line 96

For seeds 5-8:
First drawn: line 32
Second drawn: line 64
Third drawn: line 65
Fourth drawn: line 97

This way, the first 8 seeds always make the QFs (if they keep winning), and the first 4 seeds will make the semifinals. However, the FQ and SF pairs are still random.

Also, seeds 1-4 are randomly drawn against seeds 13-16 for the fourth round possible matchup (i.e. seeds 5-8 will be randomly matched against 9-12). For the 3rd round, seeds 1-8 will be randomly matched against seeds 25-32, (i.e seeds 9-16 will get randomly matched 17-24)
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:17 pm

penny lane wrote:There is just something I don't like about Djokovic. It is hell getting old. Roger has to figure out something here. His reactions are exactly what I don't like about him. :thumbdown:

Who's reactions? Federer's? I love Federer's lack of fist pumping, grunting, and childish whining and moaning. It's a breath of fresh air to me. He does his job and does it fantastically. In today's sporting world it is very rare to see a superstar athlete act the way Federer does.

Unless of course you were referring to Djokovich which negates my reply, then.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Tomas wrote:
Draftnik wrote:The top 4 seeds are put in separate quadrants to guarantee they can't meet until the semis, but for some reason 1 plays 3 and 2 plays 4 in the semis. It doesn't make sense IMO.

#3 and #4 are drawn *randomly* in the opposite halves of the draws, so that they can't meet #1 or #2 until the samis.. The fact that #1 played #3 a few recent times are just by luck. Same with seeds 5-8: randomly drawn, but not to play No 1-4 until the Quartefinals, etc.

The seeding is explained on p. 92. (Long story short: #1 seed goes on line 1 of the chart. #2 seed goes on line 128 of the chart.

For seeds3 & 4, the first drawn goes on line 33, the second drawn goes on line 96

For seeds 5-8:

This way, the first 8 seeds always make the QFs (if they keep winning), and the first 4 seeds will make the semifinals. However, the FQ and SF pairs are still random.

Also, seeds 1-4 are randomly drawn against seeds 13-16 for the fourth round possible matchup (i.e. seeds 5-8 will be randomly matched against 9-12). For the 3rd round, seeds 1-8 will be randomly matched against seeds 25-32, (i.e seeds 9-16 will get randomly matched 17-24)

Thanks for posting. I think the ATP seeding methodology is flawed. The entire premise of seeding is to reward the higher seeds with easier matchups and/or to prevent the top seeds from meeting until the latest possible round.

With the top 3 players being so much better than the others its more disadvantageous to Djokovic's title chances meeting Federer in the SF round than it would be meeting the #4 seed Andy Murray in the 1st round IMO (assuming that he wouldn't meet Nadal/Federer until finals.)
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Tomas wrote:

For seeds 5-8:

Thanks for posting. I think the ATP seeding methodology is flawed. The entire premise of seeding is to reward the higher seeds with easier matchups and/or to prevent the top seeds from meeting until the latest possible round.

With the top 3 players being so much better than the others its more disadvantageous to Djokovic's title chances meeting Federer in the SF round than it would be meeting the #4 seed Andy Murray in the 1st round IMO (assuming that he wouldn't meet Nadal/Federer until finals.)

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cma3585 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:42 pm

pens2005 wrote:
penny lane wrote:There is just something I don't like about Djokovic. It is hell getting old. Roger has to figure out something here. His reactions are exactly what I don't like about him. :thumbdown:

Who's reactions? Federer's? I love Federer's lack of fist pumping, grunting, and childish whining and moaning. It's a breath of fresh air to me. He does his job and does it fantastically. In today's sporting world it is very rare to see a superstar athlete act the way Federer does.

Unless of course you were referring to Djokovich which negates my reply, then.

http://twitter.com/GMillerTSN - It pains me to say this as a Roger Federer fan, but I didn't like his comments at the news conference after his SF loss to Novak Djokovic.

http://twitter.com/GMillerTSN - Calling his clutch cross court shot facing match point "lucky" and saying "I wasn't brought up to play that way" is unbecoming of a champion
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:30 am

I hate Djikovic, Nadal is a typical Spanish drama queen, don't like Murray either. Disappointed in Federer yesterday. I really like Isner for whatever reason
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:25 am

I don't care for Djokovic or Murray, so my hopes lie with Nadal. I would have preferred Federer, but he couldn't close it out when it was right there for him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh470 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:02 am

One of the few positives to a Nadal-Djokovic final is that because both of them take so damn long to serve you can hit 30 second skip between points and not miss anything.

Fed isn't a good loser, but I don't think many great athletes are; it's part of what makes them great IMO.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Damn, my boy let me down. Still some damn good tennis to finish this thing.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:49 pm

cma3585 wrote:There is just something I don't like about
http://twitter.com/GMillerTSN - It pains me to say this as a Roger Federer fan, but I didn't like his comments at the news conference after his SF loss to Novak Djokovic.

http://twitter.com/GMillerTSN - Calling his clutch cross court shot facing match point "lucky" and saying "I wasn't brought up to play that way" is unbecoming of a champion

Some competitors are not at their best when they lose. Federer; seems only with Nadal, can he be gracious.
No excuse for him.

Tomorrow ? I want to see more sean combs & ron burkle watching from Djokovic's box! :P

*last 2 matches to hear Dick Enberg ! Serena v Sam Stosur.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:24 pm

Serena Williams in trouble against Sam Stosur, about to lose the 1st set.
I missed the end of the match last night; Serena may have reinjured her toe/foot that had surgery.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fast B on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Serena looks terrible. After her dismantling of Wozniacki I thought she'd be better than this.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Williams hasn't played a lot this season. She isn't the fittest player to begin with and playing on back to back days might take its toll on her.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR