Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 am

It's more like "I'm too sensitive to think about what's actually being said to fully grasp it". If I were to refer to DJs as "spinsters" older women shouldn't be offended by it, because it literally has nothing to do with them.
Last edited by Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:52 am

bhaw wrote:
Rylan wrote:
bhaw wrote:Very interesting thinking... gay people should just stop being so sensitive about the slurs I use so I can continue to use them at my leisure. :lol:


Getting offended when its not even in a context referring to homosexuality just brings the stigma back on them. If you were born in the 90s you would actually notice that it rarely if ever refers to gays.


Again, interesting thinking. It's their fault they get offended that I use slurs and it's ok because everyone else does it. It sounds a lot like "I'm too lazy to consider what I'm saying so those people it affects should just deal with it."


You don't understand, the word is evolving into something that isn't a slur. It doesn't have the connotation in my generation that it does yours. Its turned into what P_G and I have both agreed to. We are similar in age yet many miles away. This shows the word is evolving not just in my pocket of life, but in many areas.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:54 am

bhaw wrote:
Rylan wrote:
bhaw wrote:Very interesting thinking... gay people should just stop being so sensitive about the slurs I use so I can continue to use them at my leisure. :lol:


Getting offended when its not even in a context referring to homosexuality just brings the stigma back on them. If you were born in the 90s you would actually notice that it rarely if ever refers to gays.


Again, interesting thinking. It's their fault they get offended that I use slurs and it's ok because everyone else does it. It sounds a lot like "I'm too lazy to consider what I'm saying so those people it affects should just deal with it."

EDIT: I'm sure this was the same reasoning people used the n word so much back before the Civil Rights movements. I go back to my earlier point... in 30 years, I am willing to bet the f word is more like the n word and doesn't go the other way and become regular usage. I may be wrong, but I'd bet on it.

I thought that was the reason black people use it now?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Kaizer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 am

^ what they said. i highly doubt its going to be looked at like the "n" word ever, because the use of the word is loosening, not the other way around. they dont even bleep it on TV anymore.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,276
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:58 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:It's more like "I'm too sensitive to think about what's actually being said to fully grasp it". If I were to refer to DJs as "spinsters" older women shouldn't be offended by it, because it literally has nothing to do with them.


You say potato, I say po-tot-o. I find it ridiculous that people are incapable of expressing yourself without using terms like that.

Rylan wrote:You don't understand, the word is evolving into something that isn't a slur. It doesn't have the connotation in my generation that it does yours. Its turned into what P_G and I have both agreed to. We are similar in age yet many miles away. This shows the word is evolving not just in my pocket of life, but in many areas.


As I said... in the 30s, calling black people the n word was common usage. Now not so much. My guess is that you will lose your "I don't really mean the f word even though I'm saying the f word" definition as gay rights take off.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,983
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:02 am

bhaw wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:It's more like "I'm too sensitive to think about what's actually being said to fully grasp it". If I were to refer to DJs as "spinsters" older women shouldn't be offended by it, because it literally has nothing to do with them.


You say potato, I say po-tot-o. I find it ridiculous that people are incapable of expressing yourself without using terms like that.

Rylan wrote:You don't understand, the word is evolving into something that isn't a slur. It doesn't have the connotation in my generation that it does yours. Its turned into what P_G and I have both agreed to. We are similar in age yet many miles away. This shows the word is evolving not just in my pocket of life, but in many areas.


As I said... in the 30s, calling black people the n word was common usage. Now not so much. My guess is that you will lose your "I don't really mean the f word even though I'm saying the f word" definition as gay rights take off.


That's the difference you don't get. The word, in my generation, no longer applies to gays. We aren't going up to gays and saying hey "f". Thats not how it is used at all.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 am

Kaizer wrote:^ what they said. i highly doubt its going to be looked at like the "n" word ever, because the use of the word is loosening, not the other way around. they dont even bleep it on TV anymore.

I don't think anything should be sensored, but that's a topic for another thread
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:10 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Kaizer wrote:^ what they said. i highly doubt its going to be looked at like the "n" word ever, because the use of the word is loosening, not the other way around. they dont even bleep it on TV anymore.

I don't think anything should be sensored, but that's a topic for another thread


Is that how they spell censored in Canada?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:12 am

So you're telling me that if there was a group of 18 year old gay teenagers in the same room as you and your friends calling each other the f word, they would be totally cool with it? I'm going to call BS.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's generational. I think it's demographical (not a word but I'm sticking with it) with you and P_G.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,983
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:13 am

Rylan wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Kaizer wrote:^ what they said. i highly doubt its going to be looked at like the "n" word ever, because the use of the word is loosening, not the other way around. they dont even bleep it on TV anymore.

I don't think anything should be sensored, but that's a topic for another thread


Is that how they spell censored in Canada?


No. Just misspelled ;) If anything, it would have been censoured. :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,983
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 am

Rylan wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Kaizer wrote:^ what they said. i highly doubt its going to be looked at like the "n" word ever, because the use of the word is loosening, not the other way around. they dont even bleep it on TV anymore.

I don't think anything should be sensored, but that's a topic for another thread


Is that how they spell censored in Canada?

How do you know that I'm not referring to a device, such as a photoelectric cell, that receives and responds to a signal or stimulus? :pop:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:21 am

bhaw wrote:So you're telling me that if there was a group of 18 year old gay teenagers in the same room as you and your friends calling each other the f word, they would be totally cool with it? I'm going to call BS.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's generational. I think it's demographical (not a word but I'm sticking with it) with you and P_G.

Aren't generational and demographical the same thing? If we're in the same generation then we are in the same demographic, no?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Kaizer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:23 am

i guess dan bylsma shouldnt say "grind these ******** down" because its offensive to women, no matter what context he's using it, and he is less than human. not to mention a doltish idiot for not finding a more eloquent way to express himself to his players.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,276
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:25 am

Kaizer wrote:i guess dan bylsma shouldnt say "grind these ******** down" because its offensive to women, no matter what context he's using it, and he is less than human.


Thanks for another quality addition to the conversation. It really added insight.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,983
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:27 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
bhaw wrote:So you're telling me that if there was a group of 18 year old gay teenagers in the same room as you and your friends calling each other the f word, they would be totally cool with it? I'm going to call BS.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's generational. I think it's demographical (not a word but I'm sticking with it) with you and P_G.

Aren't generational and demographical the same thing? If we're in the same generation then we are in the same demographic, no?


No. Generational implies everyone of your generation is in agreement. Age is a piece of demographics, not the whole thing.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,983
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Kaizer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:27 am

bhaw wrote:
Kaizer wrote:i guess dan bylsma shouldnt say "grind these ******** down" because its offensive to women, no matter what context he's using it, and he is less than human.


Thanks for another quality addition to the conversation. It really added insight.


so dan gets a pass?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,276
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:31 am

bhaw wrote:So you're telling me that if there was a group of 18 year old gay teenagers in the same room as you and your friends calling each other the f word, they would be totally cool with it? I'm going to call BS.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's generational. I think it's demographical (not a word but I'm sticking with it) with you and P_G.


That's just it, you aren't in our generation. They use it just as much towards the straight kids. Besides, the gay kids are generally part of the you and your friends group anymore.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 am

Rylan wrote:
bhaw wrote:So you're telling me that if there was a group of 18 year old gay teenagers in the same room as you and your friends calling each other the f word, they would be totally cool with it? I'm going to call BS.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's generational. I think it's demographical (not a word but I'm sticking with it) with you and P_G.


That's just it, you aren't in our generation. They use it just as much towards the straight kids. Besides, the gay kids are generally part of the you and your friends group anymore.


Lol... I don't know what your view of people in their late 20s is, but believe it or not, we hang out with gay people too :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,983
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:36 am

bhaw wrote:
Rylan wrote:
bhaw wrote:So you're telling me that if there was a group of 18 year old gay teenagers in the same room as you and your friends calling each other the f word, they would be totally cool with it? I'm going to call BS.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's generational. I think it's demographical (not a word but I'm sticking with it) with you and P_G.


That's just it, you aren't in our generation. They use it just as much towards the straight kids. Besides, the gay kids are generally part of the you and your friends group anymore.


Lol... I don't know what your view of people in their late 20s is, but believe it or not, we hang out with gay people too :lol:


Was pointing out that they are our friends now. Not implying that everyone ostracizes gays outside my generation.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 am

Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.


You must be old, otherwise you would know that, thanks to excessive usage by ignorant and dumb teens, the word does not mean what it means anymore.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,477
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:11 am

"WHEN WE GET OUT ON THE ICE, I'M GOING TO MESS YOU UP....YOU....YOU.....PERSON GENETICALLY DISPOSED TO HARBOR NATURAL FEELINGS TOWARDS PEOPLE OF THE SAME GENDER! SO THERE!"
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,368
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 am

You nailed it. The problem is not the word itself, it's thinking that a genetical disposition is wrong/bad/inferior and thus can be used as an insult against others. Thanks, shad.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,477
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 am

Gaucho wrote:You nailed it. The problem is not the word itself, it's thinking that a genetical disposition is wrong/bad/inferior and thus can be used as an insult against others. Thanks, shad.

:face: That's not it at all.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 am

No?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,477
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:20 am

Gaucho wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.


You must be old, otherwise you would know that, thanks to excessive usage by ignorant and dumb teens, the word does not mean what it means anymore.

:lol: Good one "verbal-luddite".

Words change, yo: Gay means funny, funny means "off", "off" means "not right", not right means it's "dumb". I just explained to you the evolution of the word, now you are no longer ignorant :wink:.
Last edited by Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

e-mail