Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 am

Gaucho wrote:No?

See above post
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 am

You obviously know more about language and the evolution of it than any linguist.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:27 am

Gaucho wrote:You obviously know more about language and the evolution of it than any linguist.

Yes, yes I do.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 am

Oh. Maybe the word linguist has changed its meaning since last week, I don't know.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:44 am

Gaucho wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.

You must be old, otherwise you would know that, thanks to excessive usage by ignorant and dumb teens, the word does not mean what it means anymore.

I'm 26, which means I'm old enough to know a)the history behind the word, b) you never know who's listening.

Also, who's judge and jury to say that "the word does not mean what it means anymore?" I still find it offensive. I'm not gay, but I have 2 close friends that are, I would never use that word around them.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:58 am

Exactly. This "generational" stuff is utter BS. Words do change their meaning, but it's a dynamic process that happens over time. You can't just take a word and claim that is has a new meaning all of a sudden, as if language was arbitrary. It is not.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:It's more like "I'm too sensitive to think about what's actually being said to fully grasp it". If I were to refer to DJs as "spinsters" older women shouldn't be offended by it, because it literally has nothing to do with them.

You do realize to call an older single woman a "spinster" isn't a good idea, right? It's not exactly a term of endearment... :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 pm

the only thing else that i'm going to say, is that Avery spends a lot of time acting like a F-word 2.0, and i'm sure its not the first time its been thrown at him. if you want to throw a fit about it, oh well.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby doublem on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:35 pm

doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:03 pm

lolololol wow nice popped collar brah
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:05 pm

i love the other picture they have of him

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:06 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:lolololol wow nice popped collar brah

Seriously, what a freak.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublem on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Briere says Avery's claims against Simmonds were because he was motivated by banana-throwing incident
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 pm

is that SDG?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Kaizer wrote:is that SDG?

:pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Kaizer wrote:is that SDG?

lolololololol
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Gaucho wrote:Exactly. This "generational" stuff is utter BS. Words do change their meaning, but it's a dynamic process that happens over time. You can't just take a word and claim that is has a new meaning all of a sudden, as if language was arbitrary. It is not.

:thumb:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:37 pm

"London Police Chief Brad Duncan said at a news conference Wednesday the offense did not meet the threshold of a hate crime or mischief"
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Lol... Simmonds is such scum. When called to the league office, he suddenly remembers everything he said (contrary to his prior statements) and expressly denies saying the word. Everyone else in the world can see what he said and he denies it.

No action by the league, which I think is fine. But the sympathy I felt for this guy from the banana throwing is totally gone.

Also... in regards to the banana throw, it does not qualify as a hate crime because there was no "mischief" as they word it. The banana hit the ice so it does not qualify. They didn't expressly say it, but I took that as implying that had it hit Simmonds, it could qualify as a hate crime.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 pm

bhaw, is Cooke scum too? I want to know what players you think are scum?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Laws vary from state to state or in this case province to province. What passes for disorderly conduct or mischief in one place might not in another.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ontario try to revise their definition of mischief. The London police have gone to a lot of trouble to publicize this crime and subsequent arrest. If somebody threw the banana at a white player it never would have been known by anybody not in attendance that evening.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:35 pm

doublem wrote:bhaw, is Cooke scum too? I want to know what players you think are scum?

Give me an instance you want me to review and I will give you my scum-o-meter reading, if you so please.

Perhaps you would prefer if I called Simmonds a lying coward who is too much of a **** to own up to what he said? Referring to this instance, of course.

If you are trying to pin me into the "you're being a homer" scenario, I'll have you know that there are many players we have employed over the years who I disliked the way they played but glad they were with us and not against us.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Draftnik wrote:Laws vary from state to state or in this case province to province. What passes for disorderly conduct or mischief in one place might not in another.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ontario try to revise their definition of mischief. The London police have gone to a lot of trouble to publicize this crime and subsequent arrest. If somebody threw the banana at a white player it never would have been known by anybody not in attendance that evening.

I was just pointing out what was reported for comment. I know it was being discussed whether or not it qualified for hate crime. One of the lawyers involved said it did not qualify as one.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 pm

bhaw wrote:
doublem wrote:bhaw, is Cooke scum too? I want to know what players you think are scum?

Give me an instance you want me to review and I will give you my scum-o-meter reading, if you so please.

Perhaps you would prefer if I called Simmonds a lying coward who is too much of a **** to own up to what he said? Referring to this instance, of course.

If you are trying to pin me into the "you're being a homer" scenario, I'll have you know that there are many players we have employed over the years who I disliked the way they played but glad they were with us and not against us.

Cooke's hit on Savard.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:55 pm

The hit itself was pretty scummy (drilling a dude from the blindside in the head). I don't remember how he reacted in the media though, nor do I have quotes of how he responded to league officials afterwards. If he owned up to it, he's still fairly scummy for hitting Savard like that to begin with. If he played dumb or pulled what Simmonds did ("Come on, it's Marc freaking Savard! He deserved it!"), he drops a few notches. But in the end it's a different playing field of scum. Cooke didn't hit him then call him a mentally challenged cripple.

As a matter of fact the two scenarios are nothing alike other than show that both guys are not the best human beings.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NPR