Grading Game 63

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby SMTM on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 am

I don't know if any body noticed this, but for some of the third period Malkin and Staal were reunited. That may be that MT has conceded to return those two together.

I am all for giving Armstrong a shot in MO's place. I think that a 3rd line of Talbot, Ouellet and Malone is actually not half bad.

Mismatched speed seems to be the biggest problem with Malkin and Crosby and their respective wings. Only Jordan can keep pace with Malkin in the second line. I think that Colby is a stronger skater than Ouellet.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:11 pm

SMTM wrote:I don't know if any body noticed this, but for some of the third period Malkin and Staal were reunited. That may be that MT has conceded to return those two together.

I am all for giving Armstrong a shot in MO's place. I think that a 3rd line of Talbot, Ouellet and Malone is actually not half bad.

Mismatched speed seems to be the biggest problem with Malkin and Crosby and their respective wings. Only Jordan can keep pace with Malkin in the second line. I think that Colby is a stronger skater than Ouellet.

EC would be better between MO and Malone, that, in theory, is a scoring line that should also be defensively repsonsible. That would leave BGL, Talbot and Ruutu as your 3rd line. I'd still go a step further and put Thorburn or Petro with malone and EC so give them some more grit, and MO would be left out completely.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SMTM on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:16 pm

EC would be better between MO and Malone, that, in theory, is a scoring line that should also be defensively repsonsible. That would leave BGL, Talbot and Ruutu as your 3rd line. I'd still go a step further and put Thorburn or Petro with malone and EC so give them some more grit, and MO would be left out completely.

I tend to favor the latter suggestion than the former, as I have a hard time seeing the combination of MO, Malone, and EC as defensively responsible. I think that Talbot is critical for the balance that the "3rd line scoring" would need. If you want to bench MO, that is fine. I do however, think this is moot as Ekman will be muddying the waters when he returns.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins