Official GDT: Penguins vs. Hurricanes 11/12/11

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Penguins vs. Hurricanes 11/12/11

Postby Rylan on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:31 am

Gotta get BJ his starts too.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:41 am

Doesn't Martin have a NMC? Why the hell would he waive that to be traded to Colombus as someone mentioned earlier? People have to accept that Martin's not going anywhere. All players have their hot and cold streaks, he's just in a prolonged slump for the first part of this season
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:41 am

While Brent Johnson was awesome in his starts last year this year he's been almost the complete opposite.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:41 am

The Snapshot wrote:Johnson was abysmal. Blame whoever else you want to, but 4 of the 5 goals were soft. If you give him the pathetic, telegraphed poke check on the last goal - it was still 3 out of 5.

I like Brent Johnson, but last night's performance was one of the worst I've ever seen by an NHL goaltender in all my years of watching hockey. Not only did he allow soft goals, but he was careless with the puck around the net when he tried to play it. I'm not sure how good Theissen is or if he is ready to be an NHL backup, but if BJ has a few more starts in a row like last night, we might find out.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:05 am

farnham16 wrote:
Rylan wrote:BJ played great last year when Fleury wasn't and they still gave Fleury starts. You can't make Fleury start every game, especially back to backs. The Pens seemingly always play Fleury one game and BJ the next. Nothing new. BJ had a bad game, it happens.

Pens have had a ton of days off lately and MAF is off to one of his best starts ever. Shouldn't be set in stone that BJ has to play every time there is a back to back which it seems to be.

Carolina was tied for 3rd last in the NHL heading into last night. It's a situation where any team in the NHL would start their backup.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jasmine on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:24 am

Really disappointed in Johnson last night! Yes, he's the backup goalie, but it seemed like he was just 'filling in' which is NOT what backup means. Johnny HAD to step up in the 3rd period after the boys worked so hard to tie it up!!!! That performance was nauseating!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:30 am

BJ didn't have a good showing at all, but it was the right time to start him against a slumping CAR team. It didn't work out last night because Ward brought his A game and BJ sure didn't. In between, there was the usual screw-ups here and there, but it's one game. Whoopie.

Martin is off to a really slow start again, but it's not like there is a plethora of good two-way dmen around the NHL these days, which is why those that are get paid quite a lot. There's a real dearth in decent dmen coming into the NHL the past several years to the point that even with a salary cap in place GM's have to outlay a lot of bucks for any dmen competent in all three areas of the ice surface.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:32 am

Possibly the most disappointing part of Johnson's performance to me is that this should at least theoretically be an up year for him. If you're considering that both Johnson and Thiessen go UFA after this year and that the team is going to have to choose which to retain, you would think Johnson would be turning in better performances. If he can't start picking it up in the future he's writing his ticket out of town.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:40 am

Well, the loss last night drops my live Penguins record since 1987 to 0-11-1, with the one shootout loss at the hands of Recchi and the Thrashers in 2008. It was my son's first game, and he enjoyed it even if he forgot which team to cheer for. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:44 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Well, the loss last night drops my live Penguins record since 1987 to 0-11-1, with the one shootout loss at the hands of Recchi and the Thrashers in 2008. It was my son's first game, and he enjoyed it even if he forgot which team to cheer for. :lol:

With your track record please don't attend a Pens Game Seven of any playoff series :) :)
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby duke66 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:44 am

Jasmine wrote:Really disappointed in Johnson last night! Yes, he's the backup goalie, but it seemed like he was just 'filling in' which is NOT what backup means. Johnny HAD to step up in the 3rd period after the boys worked so hard to tie it up!!!! That performance was nauseating!

that's what hurt most. huge comeback and then he let's in that garbage staal goal at the side of the net. very deflating (and cost them a road point at least). numbers don't lie, he has been mediocre at best in his 5 starts this year, with 4 being losses.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:51 am

duke66 wrote:
Jasmine wrote:Really disappointed in Johnson last night! Yes, he's the backup goalie, but it seemed like he was just 'filling in' which is NOT what backup means. Johnny HAD to step up in the 3rd period after the boys worked so hard to tie it up!!!! That performance was nauseating!

that's what hurt most. huge comeback and then he let's in that garbage staal goal at the side of the net. very deflating (and cost them a road point at least). numbers don't lie, he has been mediocre at best in his 5 starts this year, with 4 being losses.

Its been the exact opposite of last year, where Johnson outplayed MAF in the first month of the season. Johnson will get his game together, but he has been a back-up goalie for most of his career for a reason.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Well, the loss last night drops my live Penguins record since 1987 to 0-11-1

BANNED
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Well, the loss last night drops my live Penguins record since 1987 to 0-11-1, with the one shootout loss at the hands of Recchi and the Thrashers in 2008. It was my son's first game, and he enjoyed it even if he forgot which team to cheer for. :lol:

Your luck sucks lol
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:40 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Johnson was abysmal. Blame whoever else you want to, but 4 of the 5 goals were soft. If you give him the pathetic, telegraphed poke check on the last goal - it was still 3 out of 5.

I like Brent Johnson, but last night's performance was one of the worst I've ever seen by an NHL goaltender in all my years of watching hockey. Not only did he allow soft goals, but he was careless with the puck around the net when he tried to play it. I'm not sure how good Theissen is or if he is ready to be an NHL backup, but if BJ has a few more starts in a row like last night, we might find out.

I believe Thiessen is on the last year of his contract, and I remember either Bylsma or Shero saying they want him to get some NHL action this year, even if they have to manufacture a situation to get him in. So we should see him at some point.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Yes, I will never attend a Penguins playoff game. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Please don't. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 pm

johnson was bad, but i don't even think it was his worst performance as a pen - not to mention the worst day ever
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:19 pm

SolidSnake wrote:While Brent Johnson was awesome in his starts last year this year he's been almost the complete opposite.

I was thinking the same thing. Fleury and Johnson have played the role reversal game so far this year.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Johnson had a bad game, but he has had a good year so far imo.... he was awesome against the Wild. I am not worried about him, it happens.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penscup on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:

This is a ridiculous statement. Guess you don't watch much hockey. Did you happen to see any of the numerous defensive breakdowns that led to the goals against, or is all the blame as usual being heaped on the goaltender because he is simply the easiest target?

Johnson has let in 2 or less goals in 3 of his 5 regulation starts this year.

Oh No! Time to call up Theissen! :scared: :scared: :scared:
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:06 pm

I don't agree that it was the worst performance by an NHL goalie I've ever seen, but his past games have no bearing on hit quality of play this game. He was pretty poor. There were defensive breakdowns but he also definitely let up some softies.

The D had a lot of mental breakdowns and the goal tending was sub-par. Hence letting up 5 goals.

At the same time, BJ is a back up playing at a pretty low salary, so he shouldn't be expected to carry the team on any sort of regular basis (and he's not).
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jogr4909 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:56 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Rylan wrote:BJ played great last year when Fleury wasn't and they still gave Fleury starts. You can't make Fleury start every game, especially back to backs. The Pens seemingly always play Fleury one game and BJ the next. Nothing new. BJ had a bad game, it happens.

Pens have had a ton of days off lately and MAF is off to one of his best starts ever. Shouldn't be set in stone that BJ has to play every time there is a back to back which it seems to be.

Agree. Fleury should have played back to back like Ward did. BJ has done nothing much this year.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:36 pm

jogr4909 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Agree. Fleury should have played back to back like Ward did. BJ has done nothing much this year.

Carolina played NY Rangers (#5) and the Pens (#1); the Pens played the Stars (#2) and the Hurricanes (#27). If the Pens were played a highly seeded team last night, Fleury would've played back to back... but they weren't.

TLDR; You don't throw your starter into back-to-backs when you face a team at the bottom of the standings. Those are exactly the type of games every (no exaggeration) coach starts their back-up in.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Second-guessing the decision to start the backup in the second of back-to-back games is lame to say the least.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins