The Official LGP College Football Realignment Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP College Football Realignment Thread

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:20 pm

here is some stat pr0n for the WVU/PSU folks over PITT

link: http://ideas.time.com/2011/12/07/patern ... emic-bowl/
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:26 pm

canaan wrote:here is some stat pr0n for the WVU/PSU folks over PITT

link: http://ideas.time.com/2011/12/07/patern ... emic-bowl/

That's pretty funny. WVU is ranked pretty high... And not a single ACC school in the top ten.

I'd love to know more about how these figures were derived. ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Pfft. I can graduate high numbers out of CCAC if I want.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'd love to know more about how these figures were derived. ;)

Probably because if they know how to add 1 + 1, they get a degree from WVU. :pop:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:29 pm

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I'd love to know more about how these figures were derived. ;)

Probably because if they know how to add 1 + 1, they get a degree from WVU. :pop:

Enough with your Heather Bresch references... ;) ;) ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Enough with your Heather Bresch references... ;) ;) ;)

She didn't even have to know how to add 1 + 1.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:32 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:That's pretty funny. WVU is ranked pretty high... And not a single ACC school in the top ten.

correct kenny the kangaroo if this is a misinterpretation, but that list looks like it includes only the teams in the latest BCS top 25. No Northwestern, Vanderbilt, BC, etc. al. That is no to suggest pitt would be in the top 25 of any sort of academic/sports type ranking.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:That's pretty funny. WVU is ranked pretty high... And not a single ACC school in the top ten.

correct kenny the kangaroo if this is a misinterpretation, but that list looks like it includes only the teams in the latest BCS top 25. No Northwestern, Vanderbilt, BC, etc. al. That is no to suggest pitt would be in the top 25 of any sort of academic/sports type ranking.

You are correct. Our athletes were too busy studying to get higher grades and didn't worry about finishing in the top 25 in football.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:45 pm

newarenanow wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

You are correct. Our athletes were too busy studying to get higher grades and didn't worry about finishing in the top 25 in football.

And that's made very obvious by the extremely high quality of Tino's Tweets :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Leave Tweeto out of this, he's been through enough already.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:26 am

newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Point Breeze Penguins on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:08 am

As expected, the Mountain West has appealed to the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee for an automatic spot into the BCS for 2012-13.

What does this have to do with the Big East? Well, read its appeal to the committee. The Mountain West essentially compares itself to the Big East throughout its appeal in order to prove its worthiness as an AQ conference. If it makes you feel better, the Mountain West takes a few digs at the ACC, too.

Here are a few of its points:
On membership changes: The Mountain West will look radically different in 2012-13, and that may be a huge factor in determining whether AQ status is granted. Utah and TCU are gone, two teams that made BCS games. Boise State, another team that finished in the BCS top 10 this season, is leaving for the Big East in 2013. But the Mountain West cites membership changes in the Big East after 2004, saying those did not impact AQ status. The MWC writes: the Big East "experienced membership change which significantly affected the competitive strength of its football enterprise. However, without any formal action, the Big East was permitted to retain its automatic-qualifying status for the next cycle -- apparently based upon reputation and relationships, rather than demonstrated performance."
On-field performance: The MWC ranked No. 4 in average ranking of the highest-ranked team, ahead of the ACC, Big East, Big Ten. The MWC’s adjusted top-25 performance percentage of 60.19 was better than the ACC (37.04 percent) and the Big East (32.41 percent). The MWC also says, "both the ACC and the Big East would fall short of the threshold to retain their automatic-qualification status after this just-concluded four-year evaluation cycle (2008-2011) if they were to be evaluated against these same standards. In fact, the Big East’s numbers are insufficient to even qualify to request an exemption.
BCS finishes: MWC teams, in the just-completed cycle (2008-2011), ranked in the top six of the final BCS standings three times. The Big East had only one team finish among top six, while the ACC had none.

Remember, this appeal is only to grant a seventh AQ spot for the final two years of the current BCS cycle. The Big East keeps its status through 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/ ... no-punches
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:16 am

I think prior to it being raided again and losing Boise State and SDSU, on top of BYU, Utah, and TCU the year before, I think the MWC had a very, very legit case to be included as the 7th AQ conference.

But after losing those schools, much like the BE is Conf USA + now, the MWC is the WAC +.

I do think when it is all said and done, after 2013, there will be no more AQ conferences, and outside of the championship game/+4 if it comes about, it will go back to the old bowl system.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 am

I'm sure one of the attorney's on LGP could make a much more informed statement, but WVU seems to be on seriously shaky ground with their legal arguments.

http://www.wvrecord.com/news/240250-wvu ... eiled-move

I know there's often a huge gap between common sense and decisions of the court, but common sense tells you there's no way WVU wins this case.

Ugh.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:05 pm

canaan wrote:I can't wait to read all of the "the big xii is the best/the acc is the best" talk on the board now that the local mutant supporters now have another conference to latch onto instead of being a vital component of. :yay:

lololololololol
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:54 am

San Diego State gave up a 50 yard field goal at the buzzer to lose their bowl game. Once again the Big East Virus cripples another school.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Talk coming out of Morgantown, crazy talk, about what WVU's actual contractual commitment is to the BE.

Nothing In WVU's contract with the BE says that WVU has to be exclusive with the BE. So now they're speculating that WVU could field two teams. Team "A" would play in the Big 12 and team "B" (made up of scrubs) would play in the BE.

Now that would never happen, although it's an interesting bluff, except that I think the NCAA would step in and squash it.

The ideas people come up with when they're trying to weasel out of contracts :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:49 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Talk coming out of Morgantown, crazy talk, about what WVU's actual contractual commitment is to the BE.

Nothing In WVU's contract with the BE says that WVU has to be exclusive with the BE. So now they're speculating that WVU could field two teams. Team "A" would play in the Big 12 and team "B" (made up of scrubs) would play in the BE.

Now that would never happen, although it's an interesting bluff, except that I think the NCAA would step in and squash it.

The ideas people come up with when they're trying to weasel out of contracts :face:

Ehh, BE owns the TV rights to WVU's games, no matter who they send. That's the whole point of the Big 12 needing WVU for next season.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:55 pm

pfim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Talk coming out of Morgantown, crazy talk, about what WVU's actual contractual commitment is to the BE.

Ehh, BE owns the TV rights to WVU's games, no matter who they send. That's the whole point of the Big 12 needing WVU for next season.

Do they own them? I thought only the Big 10 and Pac 12 have this set up (and now the Big XII).
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:55 pm

pfim wrote:

Well I'm no attorney, but from what some of the (admittedly self professed) attorneys on the WVU boards are saying, the BE contract calls for the BE to televise the games WVU plays in that conference. No where does it say that WVU can't also play in another conference. What they're saying is that it never says that the BE has the right to televise All of the BCS subdivision games WVU plays.

As I said before though, it's crazy talk. I can't imagine what the NCAA would do if any program started seriously talking about doing this.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Ehh, yes. Crazy talk.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:58 pm

newarenanow wrote:
pfim wrote:

Do they own them? I thought only the Big 10 and Pac 12 have this set up (and now the Big XII).

Those are Tier III rights. ESPN owns the Tier I and II rights of the BE teams.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Likely beginning as early as next year, the Pac-12 and Big Ten are going to significantly reconfigure their future football, basketball and Olympic sports schedules to feature games between their combined 24 member schools.

The conferences will announce their plans later Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7396843/big-ten-pac-12-grow-scheduling-partnership
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Wow, that is really interesting.

That will be a big move for both the Pac 12 and the big 10. Hopefully this settles the college landscape as well.

Also, I wonder if other conferences end up doing this (ie. the Big XII and SEC, or SEC and ACC) what this would do for ND. Most of these conferences are going to 9 conference games, and now if they have one guaranteed game between each other, that would be 10 games taken up. And usually a school wants a cupcake game or two.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:19 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Likely beginning as early as next year, the Pac-12 and Big Ten are going to significantly reconfigure their future football, basketball and Olympic sports schedules to feature games between their combined 24 member schools.

The conferences will announce their plans later Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7396843/big-ten-pac-12-grow-scheduling-partnership

This makes a lot of sense. I've seen talk of a similar arrangement between the Big 12 and the Big East.

If the ACC and the SEC follow suit it would be rather impressive.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR