Keurig K Cups

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Keurig K Cups

Postby Fast B on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Meh. I'm not as vitriolic but I'm with penscup on this one. The standard Keurig makes a mediocre cup at best, isn't much more convenient than my old Mr. Coffee, only makes a cup at a time, and generates more trash. I don't really care for flavored coffees anyway, so it doesn't have much value for me.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:55 pm

bh wrote:Just got a stove top percolator and I love it!

That is my favorite way to make espresso.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Seriously dudes, if you want great coffee you can't beat getting it in small batches of whole bean directly from a roaster!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Bioshock on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:52 pm

I have had ground coffee and i grind my owns beans at work and using the EZ cup seems to be giving me the best of both worlds when i buy it. I love the Keurig for convenience and since i live alone, one cup is enough for me.

As for the regular K cups... yeah, the coffee is pretty weak. Oh well, at least there is an alternative that lets me use what i want with the convenience i desire.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 am

Quick question. For Christmas I got a Keurig along with a reusable mesh filter so I can use my own coffee in there. The only problem is, I have tried to use it twice, and both times it made a total mess with grinds everywhere and a bunch of water in the tray.

Is it normal for the K-cup filter to be moving around a little bit when you close it? I think what happens is that the water coming in pushes the grinds out over the top, and it doesn't absorb it fast enough so the water spills over. Suggestions welcome (the only thing I can think is to use less coffee, but I dunno.)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Quick question. For Christmas I got a Keurig along with a reusable mesh filter so I can use my own coffee in there. The only problem is, I have tried to use it twice, and both times it made a total mess with grinds everywhere and a bunch of water in the tray.

Is it normal for the K-cup filter to be moving around a little bit when you close it? I think what happens is that the water coming in pushes the grinds out over the top, and it doesn't absorb it fast enough so the water spills over. Suggestions welcome (the only thing I can think is to use less coffee, but I dunno.)

Shaf, are you sure you're using the right measure of grounds? One of the most common mistakes people make is not recognizing the importance of measurement. The grounds expand under the pressure and temperature exposure.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 am

No, I understand how the expansion and everything works. I'm just gonna try to use a little less, but I also found a fix on Amazon since a lot of other people seem to run into this problem. Thanks!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am

I believe there is something you have to take out of the Keurig machine in order to use the MY K-Cup attachment.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 am

my work has 8-10 kinds of Keurig cups to choose from. I drink 2 cups a day. Favorite is Pumpkin spice or the breakfast roast.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 am

shafnutz05 wrote:No, I understand how the expansion and everything works. I'm just gonna try to use a little less, but I also found a fix on Amazon since a lot of other people seem to run into this problem. Thanks!

You said you have a re-usable mesh insert -- I'm wondering if you didn't utilize the actual plastic encasing it goes inside? It's like $17, replaces the mounting bracket inside the Keurig, and has a lit with a small hole poked in it. If you're just using a mesh insert, it would make sense you're getting a big mess, as there is no top. Not sure if I explained that well or not...so let's use this image:

On the front is the filter...but if you look on the left side of the box, you'll see a plastic encasing and a lid. If you're just using the "filter basket," as it's called, a mess is sure to happen.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:38 am

lol, thank you very much Defence. I am prety sure I didn't follow the instructions properly. I am a derp. :lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby guiner on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 am

A friend of mine tried that insert, and the reviews show as well... it sucks.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 am

My machine has 3 size settings, so i run my K cups through 2 times, once on medium and once on small to fill my mug size cup. I am one of the few people who like their coffee kinda weak.

My sister had 3 boxes of 50 count K cups (Donut house) delievered to her house by accident, it was ment to go somewhere else, she called them to return it and they told her to keep it since it was perrishable. She doesn't have a Keruig so she gave me a box and the other 2 boxes to other people. WOO HOO!
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tjand72 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:45 pm

guiner wrote:A friend of mine tried that insert, and the reviews show as well... it sucks.

I've tried mine once and it's a pain to clean, not to mention it tasted terrible.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Well, apparently the reusable K Cup thing isn't compatible with my Keurig maker (it's a Mr. Coffee maker). FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:50 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Well, apparently the reusable K Cup thing isn't compatible with my Keurig maker (it's a Mr. Coffee maker). FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I see a craigslist ad coming...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:29 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Well, apparently the reusable K Cup thing isn't compatible with my Keurig maker (it's a Mr. Coffee maker). FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I see a craigslist ad coming...

No comment.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby bhaw on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:46 am

For a small fee, I will take it off your hands :pop:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Senka on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:16 pm

WalMArt is cheapest Ive seen. I didnt sift through the thread t osee if this was new information, but "Donut Shop" is my favorite. And I drank Butter Toffee for months. Im not a fan of the variety pack due to so much decaffinated coffees but it was good the first time.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Not sure if its still alive or not but here's how to get a free 12 pack of hot cocoa k-cups

http://slickdeals.net/f/3810376-Free-12 ... p-Facebook

EDIT it appears the deal was dead yesterday at 6PM.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:50 pm

columbia wrote:
bh wrote:Just got a stove top percolator and I love it!

That is my favorite way to make espresso.
I never had espresso this way. Is it a lot like the regular espresso from those machines like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-303-01-E ... 683&sr=1-5

I have one like this but frankly it's a pain to get it out make the coffee, clean it, and put it all away again. Stove top seems so much... simpler.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Senka wrote:WalMArt is cheapest Ive seen. I didnt sift through the thread t osee if this was new information, but "Donut Shop" is my favorite. And I drank Butter Toffee for months. Im not a fan of the variety pack due to so much decaffinated coffees but it was good the first time.

How much is Walmart? Coffeeforless.com has 24 packs for $15.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Might be worth checking out your local Office Max. In Phoenix, they have buy 1, get 1 50% off boxes of K-cups this week.

Normal 18 pack there is $11.98, so 2 come out to $18 for 36 k-cups. I just bought 4 boxes and $38 after tax for 72 cups. Not bad at all. Cheapest I have found ever, I think. They have a fair selection, not awesome. But enough to satisfy most people.

They also have the 16 packs of Starbucks Kcups, but they are $15 normally, so you can get 32 for $22.50. Not sure if Starbucks K Cups are worth that, but if anyone is hooked on them, I'm assuming that is as cheap as you'll get them anywhere too.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 pm

If it hasn't been mentioned yet in here, you end up paying $50 per lb for coffee with these pods, etc. I'd rather buy good coffee for $20 per lb and make it in a french press.

People are dazzled by the latest, shiniest, items.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Where are you getting the cost per pound from?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR