AO suspended 3 games - Michalek 0 games

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: AO suspended 3 games - Michalek 0 games

Postby pittsports87 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm surprised Michalek got nothing while Ovechkin got 3 games, I thought Michalek would at least get a fine or 1 game. Not complaining though, it's hilarious seeing Caps fans freak out. And Ovechkin isn't going to the all star game because of this so it would be hilarious if Neal took his spot.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MrBrightside on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 pm

So, Ovechkin is skipping the All-Star Game while he sulks. If Neal gets his spot, that would be the ultimate win-win.
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 pm

MrBrightside wrote:So, Ovechkin is skipping the All-Star Game while he sulks. If Neal gets his spot, that would be the ultimate win-win.

LOL... Is Ovechkin trying to make a statement by not playing in the All-Star game? I guess he's thinking that the fans care about watching the All-Star game...

Can a suspended player practice with his team? If not, it'll be next Thursday before Ovechkin gets back into the mix. :P
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NeddieVedder on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:michalek should have been at least fined. this is a step backwards in addressing contact to the head.

as for caps fans...in the '09 series, it was on a message board or in one of those puck daddy comments...a caps fan was hollering for a penalty when a penguins player brought the guy in the penalty box his stick during a stoppage of play. he said it violated the delay of game rules by throwing equipment on to the ice - since the official rule does not mention whether or not it matters that play had stopped. he was dead serious. at that point, i stopped even casually browsing what those idiots have to say.

It was even better than that. He wanted a penalty for throwing the stick. Like at a puck headed into an empty net.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:22 pm

In all fairness, I remember that guy being called an idiot on that board. It didn't reflect the level of intelligence of all caps fans. God forbid a fan of another team comes in here and judges us by our dumbest poster.

But yeah. That was incredibly dumb.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 pm

CLOVEN KIA HEX

HECK, BLAZE MY KIN
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm

I can't believe the pity party.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613450

That's actually very good. Let them feel like this. They're going to sulk and cry, instead of trying to improve themselves.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I can't believe the pity party.

That's actually very good. Let them feel like this. They're going to sulk and cry, instead of trying to improve themselves.

It's so strange not to have Boudreau whining in an article about the Caps. McPhee and Leonsis make up for it though. I get sticking up for your players, George, but he did leave his feet and make contact with Michalek's head. No real gray area there...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Fistric was suspended 3 games for charging in December. He did not have a record, the hit wasn't as violent, and it was not a nationally televised game. Caps should feel lucky he only got 3.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Eismann wrote:CLOVEN KIA HEX

HECK, BLAZE MY KIN

Ovechkin-Laich-Semin
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm

there is so much crap coming from ovechkin and mcphee in that article, i can't even believe it.

Ovechkin: "I was disappointed, actually. The most bad thing is all my career it is going to be like that. My game is play physical. My game is play hard. I don't think it was bad hit, a dirty hit. Yeah, I jumped but he don't get hurt and I don't get two minutes. I don't think it was a three-game suspension."

McPhee: "What was once tolerable or acceptable in our game at all levels, whether it is the NHL or college or juniors or youth hockey, is no longer acceptable or tolerable"

when was the last time it was legal to leave your feet to hit someone?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:53 pm

shmenguin wrote:

there is so much crap coming from ovechkin and mcphee in that article, i can't even believe it.

Ovechkin: "I was disappointed, actually. The most bad thing is all my career it is going to be like that. My game is play physical. My game is play hard. I don't think it was bad hit, a dirty hit. Yeah, I jumped but he don't get hurt and I don't get two minutes. I don't think it was a three-game suspension."

McPhee: "What was once tolerable or acceptable in our game at all levels, whether it is the NHL or college or juniors or youth hockey, is no longer acceptable or tolerable"

I think its hilarious that because the refs were grossly incompetent it should excuse him from being accountable for his hit :lol:
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm

mcphee also says: "I was disappointed in the suspension because he is considered a repeat offender, and I don't believe he should have been suspended in the past for at least one of those hits -- the one in Chicago. He outweighed the player [then-Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell] by 50 pounds -- that's not his fault."

so this wasn't ovechkin's fault, eh?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:56 pm

joopen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I think its hilarious that because the refs were grossly incompetent it should excuse him from being accountable for his hit :lol:

i guess i could crop my post down to its true essence "I don't think it was bad hit, a dirty hit. Yeah, I jumped."

that says it all
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

It's so strange not to have Boudreau whining in an article about the Caps. McPhee and Leonsis make up for it though. I get sticking up for your players, George, but he did leave his feet and make contact with Michalek's head. No real gray area there...

I haven't heard him whine about anything since becoming the Ducks coach. It's the culture of the Caps to whine, make excuses and not take any accountability for actions or failures. Once he left the Borg, he became human again.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I haven't heard him whine about anything since becoming the Ducks coach. It's the culture of the Caps to whine, make excuses and not take any accountability for actions or failures. Once he left the Borg, he became human again.

lol he huffed and puffed when Malkin got star of the week two weeks ago and Hiller got bounced that week. Yes you read that right.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... t-of-four/

“There’s no way that [Jonas] Hiller shouldn’t have been one of the three stars of the week,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I mean, good God, Malkin had one game out of four and he gets third star.

“So, I mean, what Hiller did, if he didn’t get first star he should have at least been second or third.”
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:[lol he huffed and puffed when Malkin got star of the week two weeks ago and Hiller got bounced that week. Yes you read that right.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... t-of-four/

“There’s no way that [Jonas] Hiller shouldn’t have been one of the three stars of the week,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I mean, good God, Malkin had one game out of four and he gets third star.

“So, I mean, what Hiller did, if he didn’t get first star he should have at least been second or third.”

Still fixated on the Pens... :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

:face:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm

No good coach would waste ANY TIME whining about the freaking three star selection...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm

The Caps problems start at the top. From fat Ted to McPhee down to Ovechkin it's an organization of no accountability. Everything is always some kind of injustice against them, they're owed things, things are just supposed to happen for them. That's why getting rid of Boudreau doesn't really solve anything. He was just one link in a chain of losers.

Contrast that to the Pens. When Cooke got his suspension, the ownership and management accepted it and acknowledged the problem. They put the onus on Cooke to change and he too acknowledged that he had to do things differently, and he has. And the Pens had plenty of reason to be upset with it because it truly was an unfair suspension, at least compared to the league standard, and it very well may have been a large factor in them losing a close seven game series last spring. Ovechkin launches himself off the ice into the head of an opponent and gets a relative slap on the wrist suspension considering his suspension history and the fact that he's been getting away with hits like that his whole career, and they whine about it, while he takes his ball and goes home to sulk instead of playing in an AS game that he was fortunate to even be selected for given the season he's having.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:19 pm

This is a guy complaining about a week to week accolade system. Breathe it in and enjoy that the Pens don't have a coach like that.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Good find, Malka.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm

joopen wrote:I think its hilarious that because the refs were grossly incompetent it should excuse him from being accountable for his hit :lol:

:thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Comments like this really show how much of a problem allowing him to get away with this all these years has become. The league should take note for when thinking about pk subban's future in this league.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm

And Kronwall.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins