What do you pay for cable and what do you get?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What do you pay for cable and what do you get?

Postby IanMoran on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:27 pm

I met this really strange cable guy and paid him a couple bucks to get free cable from now on.... Its a sweet deal, only down side is he constantly wants to hang out / is kind of weird, but o well still worth it
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:01 am

I pay 55.00 for a huge selection of HD channels, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Encore, NHL, NBA and NFL networks, a sports pack including Root Sports Pittsburgh and, finally, NFL Sunday Ticket. Being a new Directv subscriber is awesome. I will never go back to Time Warner/Comcast.

*edit* I forgot whole house DVR. Also awesome.
Last edited by nocera on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:03 am

I do comcast double play with TV and Internet...

I have the 2nd level of digital cable, whatever that is, as well as performance internet. Also have HBO and Showtime.

Total with taxes and fees I pay something like $110/month
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 am

That sounds about like what I have too. We have to have a land line so that bumps it up to the second tier somehow
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:55 am

Just curious, why do some of you keep the land line? Heck, it'd be cheaper to add a line to your family plan (assuming you have one), port your landline number over to it, and leave that cell at home always.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 am

mac5155 wrote:Just curious, why do some of you keep the land line? Heck, it'd be cheaper to add a line to your family plan (assuming you have one), port your landline number over to it, and leave that cell at home always.

Because then my wife will have to know where her one phone is at all times, instead of the three cordless phones she has strewn all over the house (one of which is currently totally MIA, and out of battery so even if you page it, you won't find it).
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 am

mac5155 wrote:Just curious, why do some of you keep the land line? Heck, it'd be cheaper to add a line to your family plan (assuming you have one), port your landline number over to it, and leave that cell at home always.

With the bundles, it turns out to be about $5 a month. I think it's $10 a month to add a line to my mobile plan.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 am

I don't follow how it would be cheaper? If you are porting your landline number, aren't you still paying for the landline service? I hate paying $130 for cell phones and having a landline at home. It ended up being cheaper for us in regards to tv and internet to actually go with the triple play and add the phone line. I would really love to cancel my cell phone and go back to the days of old and not be so dependent on it, but that's a big step.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 am

eddysnake wrote:

I don't follow how it would be cheaper? If you are porting your landline number, aren't you still paying for the landline service? I hate paying $130 for cell phones and having a landline at home. It ended up being cheaper for us in regards to tv and internet to actually go with the triple play and add the phone line. I would really love to cancel my cell phone and go back to the days of old and not be so dependent on it, but that's a big step.

Well what my parents did (at my suggestion) was port the landline number to my dad's cell phone. This way the number is still in the phone book and reaches him directly. When at home, we use one of these: (http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHMQ8wIwAg similar model, can't find the exact one). It's a net savings of about $45, because the cable company doesn't offer a huge discount (see above re: franchise agreements) and Verizon phone was about $39.99 a month.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:24 pm

The wife works from home.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:30 pm

demondg1 wrote:Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Came here to ask if anyone else thought that when they read the title. You sir deserve an ice cream cone.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm

just got off the phone with atlantic broadband actually. they accidentally charged me $42 for a service call that was concerning outside connectors.

i pay $179 or so after taxes. get HD, a showtime package, hundreds of worthless channels, internet, dvr and modem rentals. i could cut that to about $160 a month if i let them add a land line and then they'll give me HBO too, but i don't feel like scheduling the appointment (mostly because i'm moving soon and may not stay with ABB - though they have the best customer service of any big company i've ever dealt with (if you call the local number) - though i have had to call them 25 times in 1 1/2 years.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:21 pm

My latest "promotional" rate just ended with TWC. That meant my bill went up by $50. Called today to see what they would do.
Sales rep: Offer one - dvr for $5 a month ($8 savings).
Me:Got anything better?
Offer two - $10 off total bill.
Hmm, anything better?
No, that's the best deal we've got right now.
Ok, what do I need to do to cancel service?
Wait, let me check. I think there might be one other option. Yes, here it is. You'd pay $5 more than you currently pay.
I'll take it.

I don't mind having a yearly increase of $5 for my package. I hate going through this charade every year though.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:49 am

Currently paying $69.99 a month for my service with comcast. Took a lot of badgering though especially since the deal was posted online at the time I signed up. Yet the rep I was speaking to kept trying to tell me I would have to pay more because they didn't offer the specific DVR in the promotion any longer. It took 3 days of me telling people in so many words, "You have it advertised, it is not my fault as a prospective customer that you don't use the equipment that is offered on your site. As a customer I should not be punished for your companies lack of planning." So I have HD, a good amount of channels, and cable interwebs for that price for 9 months. BUT if I see a better deal come up after 3 months (which would be the end of Nov.) I can call and get that deal. I plan on keeping an eye out and if nothing comes up canceling my service after 9 months cause I'm not under contract either. Hopefully *fingers crossed* when I call up in 9 months to cancel my service I will get a similar deal to what I have now.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:52 am

ask my neighbors. Whatever they get, I get. ;)

Spoiler:
don't tell them.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:23 pm

the party is over. my bill went from a 79.99 bundle to

63.93 digital starter
31.99 digital preferred
45.95 comcast internet

when i get home tonight ill ask calmly to change it back and then when they say no ill tell them to shut it down. Pittsoccer33 will cancel his service and Miss PSUsoccer22 will just have to sign up
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:26 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:the party is over. my bill went from a 79.99 bundle to

63.93 digital starter
31.99 digital preferred
45.95 comcast internet

when i get home tonight ill ask calmly to change it back and then when they say no ill tell them to shut it down. Pittsoccer33 will cancel his service and Miss PSUsoccer22 will just have to sign up

Yeah I have $69.99 for a couple more months
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:26 pm

63.93 digital starter
31.99 digital preferred
45.95 comcast internet

I love how cable companies do this. done this w/ my fiancee multiple times.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm

i called a few weeks ago knowing that my guaranteed price period was coming to an end. the person on the other end was not a native english speaker and apparently did not understand my question (i asked what my bill would look like next month). she said it would go up to $90 in april, which was cool with me.

if only fios would get their network built out into the south side.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:33 pm

63.93 digital starter
31.99 digital preferred
45.95 comcast internet

Wow $80 to $142. What a jump. Maybe the rep that said you would go to around $90 was not including internet.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:12 pm

I get basically digital starter and then buy a lot of things on pay per view. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Just got my first bill for my FIOS, which they still owe me a phone. I told them I'd never use it, but I also said it wouldn't hurt if they hooked it up. Regardless, if I ordered my package without it, it would have been the same price. Since they raked me for an installation fee, which they said they WOULDN'T do, I'm making them come back out. If they waive my fee, I'll reconsider how I feel about the phone.

Second tier cable package, DVR-HD in living room, DVR-SD in bedroom.

Internet, as posted before, is about 31MB down. Initial test posted here showed 5 up, but was showing 13mb last night on COD:MW3 and topped off at 26MB during a speed test this weekend.

125/mo for first year
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:56 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:just got off the phone with atlantic broadband actually. they accidentally charged me $42 for a service call that was concerning outside connectors.

i pay $179 or so after taxes. get HD, a showtime package, hundreds of worthless channels, internet, dvr and modem rentals. i could cut that to about $160 a month if i let them add a land line and then they'll give me HBO too, but i don't feel like scheduling the appointment (mostly because i'm moving soon and may not stay with ABB - though they have the best customer service of any big company i've ever dealt with (if you call the local number) - though i have had to call them 25 times in 1 1/2 years.

That's pretty much me w/ Comcast. My bill went up about 25% last month after the last offer period expired. HBO and Starz are practically useless to me. I just bought a new led tv for the kitchen and asked about getting hd for it. Bunch of nothing with the first rep.

Formulating my arguments in my head first, then will go straight to the Loyalty Dept. when I call back. I'm asking for the bill to go back to where it was, plus a free hd box for the kitchen, then we'll see where it goes.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:i called a few weeks ago knowing that my guaranteed price period was coming to an end. the person on the other end was not a native english speaker and apparently did not understand my question (i asked what my bill would look like next month). she said it would go up to $90 in april, which was cool with me.

if only fios would get their network built out into the south side.

Of you want to haggle I'm sure they'll lower your price. Once you tell them you want to leave they immediately lower the price by finding some "deal" they're offering. I go through this charade once a year.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby guiner on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:11 pm

No TV, no service. Stream NHL on gamecenter and enjoy national games by magically appearing in australia.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR