Home Projects

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Home Projects

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:21 am

I looked for an old thread, but I could not find one. We are considering a few projects right now, so I figured that I would need a general thread to come back to rather than making a job specific thread each time.

We are getting two new entry doors on our house. Having an acquaintance (sister-in-law father) who is a contractor put them in, so the installation cost should be pretty reasonable. He recommends steel doors, but fiberglass doors look better/nicer. Anyone have any opinions on steel vs. fiberglass?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Home Projects

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 am

Nothing about fiberglass vs steel, but we recently replaced our deadbolt with a keypad deadbolt. They are nice.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 am

You have just made Juice the happiest poster alive.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

viva la ben wrote:Nothing about fiberglass vs steel, but we recently replaced our deadbolt with a keypad deadbolt. They are nice.

Super nice. I recently got a Vivint home automation/security system which is all controllable from my phone. Lock and unlock my front door from Istanbul you say? No problem.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Juice on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:33 am

Did you ask him why he recommends steel?
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:36 am

More energy efficient, hold up better, etc. Seems like a classic aesthetic vs. functionality type of thing. I just wonder how poor fiberglass doors are. Will have a storm door on the front door and it does not get particularly bad weather anyway.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:36 am

My faucet broke last week so I upgraded the sink piping and fixed the faucet. So that was pretty fun.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:37 am

I like the look of steel doors, but I suppose it is whatever you prefer.
You're welcome for my help :lol:
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am

Ha. Our house is multicolor stone, so, we think a cranberry all glass storm door with a mahogany (fiberglass) door will look good on the front.

We are def just going with steel on the back/deck door, though. Steel is way cheaper and no one is going to be seeing that door much and white will match with the interior better.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am

Malkamaniac wrote:My faucet broke last week so I upgraded the sink piping and fixed the faucet. So that was pretty fun.

How does one upgrade sink piping? Did you go from cpvc to copper? Was this water pipe or drain pipe?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am

Anyone every do Pergo floors? I'm thinking that's the next project -- pergo in the entryway/into the 1/2 bath.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 am

Kraftster wrote:More energy efficient, hold up better, etc. Seems like a classic aesthetic vs. functionality type of thing. I just wonder how poor fiberglass doors are. Will have a storm door on the front door and it does not get particularly bad weather anyway.

I thought that the fiberglass held up better than the steel? Fiberglass doesn't dent when you kick it as opposed to steel. Also I know that fiberglass is more energy efficient than steel. Steel conducts heat much faster than fiberglass, allthought both have insulated core anymore so there probably is little difference. I'm not a carpenter though so I'd trust your guy.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:57 am

Kraftster wrote:Anyone every do Pergo floors? I'm thinking that's the next project -- pergo in the entryway/into the 1/2 bath.

I've looked into it, well various kinds of flooring for our kitchen.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 am

Kraftster wrote:Anyone every do Pergo floors? I'm thinking that's the next project -- pergo in the entryway/into the 1/2 bath.

I have done it and I'm very happy with it. There are all kinds of tuts out there to show you how to do it, it's not too difficult. I recently installed "click" cork floor in my kitchen, turned out awesome.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 am

i've done a good bit of pergo flooring... it's extremely easy IF you plan everything out ahead of time. my father decided to just wing it which caused a crisis situation toward the end of installation, but it's nice stuff and easy to put together.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:01 pm

As long as you have a good miter saw it's surprisingly easy. I've done a bed room and a living room. Both with little trouble. We have kids now and I am so glad I got rid of the carpet in the living room. It would be a masterpiece of food, juice, spoiled milk, marker, dirt, dirty diaper droppings, and despair.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Yeah, I've assisted on some Pergo projects and planning seems to be key. If you have it planned well it does seem like a pretty easy job.

Juice - do you have a dog? I'm wondering how the floor holds up to ~90ish lbs. dog running/slipping and sliding on it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Kraftster wrote:Yeah, I've assisted on some Pergo projects and planning seems to be key. If you have it planned well it does seem like a pretty easy job.

Juice - do you have a dog? I'm wondering how the floor holds up to ~90ish lbs. dog running/slipping and sliding on it.

my parents have dogs that walk on it (labradors, so not quite 90 lbs) and it has held up pretty well to them. very easy cleaning too.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:02 pm

bh wrote:
Kraftster wrote:More energy efficient, hold up better, etc. Seems like a classic aesthetic vs. functionality type of thing. I just wonder how poor fiberglass doors are. Will have a storm door on the front door and it does not get particularly bad weather anyway.

I thought that the fiberglass held up better than the steel? Fiberglass doesn't dent when you kick it as opposed to steel. Also I know that fiberglass is more energy efficient than steel. Steel conducts heat much faster than fiberglass, allthought both have insulated core anymore so there probably is little difference. I'm not a carpenter though so I'd trust your guy.

That's what I said about steel -- conducting hot/cold much faster. Huh. He seemed to really be against fiberglass, so maybe he's got a vendetta against them for some reason?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Juice on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Kraftster wrote:Yeah, I've assisted on some Pergo projects and planning seems to be key. If you have it planned well it does seem like a pretty easy job.

I don't have a dog, but I would think if it was a problem, it would be pretty widespread and understood?
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Juice on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 pm

site:thisoldhouse.com "how to"
ctrl+c ctrl+v into google, prepare face for demolition
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 pm

I need to install a shower in my basement. There is a 1/2 bath down there allready. The only thing that makes me nervous is attaching the showers drain to the main sewar line. I think I would have to bust up the cement and then tap into the main line. Any plumbers out there that could estimate how much a shower rough in would cost? cough (PFinDC)
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Juice wrote:

I don't have a dog, but I would think if it was a problem, it would be pretty widespread and understood?

I think any laminate and any hardwood are susceptible to being scratched by dogs' nails, just a question of how much. If there is one out there that is dog scratch proof, it should be marketed as such. I haven't seen any, though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Juice on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Juice wrote:

I think any laminate and any hardwood are susceptible to being scratched by dogs' nails, just a question of how much. If there is one out there that is dog scratch proof, it should be marketed as such. I haven't seen any, though.

I haven't seen anything like that either, but it seems as though laminate is really very durable.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Juice wrote:site:thisoldhouse.com "how to"
ctrl+c ctrl+v into google, prepare face for demolition

I will say since you've shown me that site I've been looking at it daily just reading articles.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR