Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 am

Ok after seeing the one replay review he did clip him in the chin. Still don't think it was intentionally dirty, but it should get looked at.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,558
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby pens_CT on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am

skullman80 wrote:Ok after seeing the one replay review he did clip him in the chin. Still don't think it was intentionally dirty, but it should get looked at.

As a forechecker Nystrom should be trying to retrieve the puck if it is loose, or separate the man (Letang) from the puck. He did neither, he avoided going after the puck instead trying to level a player who no longer had pocession of the puck. If Letang has the puck on his stick then I have no issue with the hit.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby Pensrock on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 am

pens_CT wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Ok after seeing the one replay review he did clip him in the chin. Still don't think it was intentionally dirty, but it should get looked at.

As a forechecker Nystrom should be trying to retrieve the puck if it is loose, or separate the man (Letang) from the puck. He did neither, he avoided going after the puck instead trying to level a player who no longer had pocession of the puck. If Letang has the puck on his stick then I have no issue with the hit.


Exactly... this is the problem I have with the hit. He made no attempt to play the puck and took advantage of a vulnerable player who did NOT have possession of the puck.

You could see Nystrom actually look at the puck and instead of playing it he hit Letang. If Letang had possession, then ok it was an ok hit.

This hit was completely unneccasary.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:14 am

Earlier this year, letang was suspended, shanahan's quote for~ playing the person, not the puck. that is exactly what nystrom did last night.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,470
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby sil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 am

I really don't have a problem with that hit. Letang gets to the puck before Nystrom, but doesn't get good stick on it. Nystrom pretty much has to assume Letange punches it by him so he accepts being beat to the puck and goes for the hit. If he doesn't, and Letang gets it up to his forward, suddenly Letang is skating on the attack and Nystrom is playing catchup. Players are taught to hit in the situation. There's really nothing wrong with that. I'm also unsure how you can suspend Nystrom when Letang jumps out his path at the last second. I'm really trying to look at this one as evenly as possible, and I can't see a suspension from this, nor do I think Nystrom deserves one.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,804
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 am

Glad that a concussed Letang wasn't let back into a game again. I just hope this doesn't end his season. That's all I want to say about that. I don't even want to think about the Pens possibly having to go without both their top forward and top D the rest of the way.

I hope they call up Despres to replace him. He's inexperienced, but it'd be a good opportunity for him and he might be able to contribute on the PP.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby pens_srq on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:41 am

Honestly, regardless of any other details I'd give Nystrom a game or 2 for charging. It's almost always going to hurt someone if he hits them at that speed. Rules governing charging also allow for supplemental discipline.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,494
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 11:33 am
Location: my garage, running a hockey league

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:42 am

Henry Hank wrote:I hope they call up Despres to replace him. He's inexperienced, but it'd be a good opportunity for him and he might be able to contribute on the PP.


Worst case scenario that Letang is done with a concussion...

Bring up Despres, because it gives them more information on how to handle Niskanen this summer and....well, it wouldn't matter either way in the playoffs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,236
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 am

It's worse to have niskanen and Martin on your top pp than it is to have a possibly shaky rookie getting minimal even strength time. Bring up depres.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,174
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:46 am

Have they said what the injury is yet?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,483
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:56 am

He's not necessarily done if it is a concussion. If his recovery is similar to the last one, he would be back around the end of the season or beginning of playoffs. And if I recall, there was talk that he had some neck involvement with his and once they identified that he started to really recover, so with that now being more in focus on these things maybe they can better identify how exactly he's injured. Or maybe it's really minor and he only misses a few weeks like some guys have. Or maybe a second concussion this season will be more severe and put him out for a while...
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby sil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:04 am

Am I seriously the only person who wants to see Brian Strait get some time?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,804
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:10 am

As of last night Yeho had said that Letang was taking pictures with kids per his twitter feed. Totally means nothing, but he was processing flashing lights and kids.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,947
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby sil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:10 am

Malkamaniac wrote:As of last night Yeho had said that Letang was taking pictures with kids per his twitter feed. Totally means nothing, but he was processing flashing lights and kids.


More info might be needed so someone doesn't call the cops on him. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,804
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:15 am

In the old NHL the hit is clean, Letang puts himself in a bad spot - and he sacrifices himself to move the puck, Nystrom's job is to either stop the puck or at least make letang pay. He may have had a choice - and he choose to make the hit.

However, the standard has been set - this is not legal anymore.

We can argue whether the new standard is right or not, or whether it helps or hurts the game, but there shouldnt be a debate whether or not that was legal according to the new NHL standards. I hesitate to say rules - because really lord knows with the NHL - however Shanny's videos are (should) be setting a baseline in this regard.

Note: I don't think the NHL knows how to be consistent - which is a problem in it's own right.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,498
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 am

sil wrote:Am I seriously the only person who wants to see Brian Strait get some time?


No, I thought he looked solid in his short time before his injury. It's more a matter of need though. Our blue-line gets a lot less mobile without Letang, and Despres looked great in that regard when he was up. I'm not sure if he's up to speed yet from his injury however..
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,361
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby sil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 am

meecrofilm wrote:
sil wrote:Am I seriously the only person who wants to see Brian Strait get some time?


No, I thought he looked solid in his short time before his injury. It's more a matter of need though. Our blue-line gets a lot less mobile without Letang, and Despres looked great in that regard when he was up. I'm not sure if he's up to speed yet from his injury however..


I think he is. To your point though, while Depres doesn't shy away from contact, a guy like Strait would more than fill in for Letang in regards to physicality in the defensive zone. Perhaps we could see them both up here for a bit if Tanger is out a while.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,804
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby sil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:31 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:In the old NHL the hit is clean, Letang puts himself in a bad spot - and he sacrifices himself to move the puck, Nystrom's job is to either stop the puck or at least make letang pay. He may have had a choice - and he choose to make the hit.

However, the standard has been set - this is not legal anymore.

We can argue whether the new standard is right or not, or whether it helps or hurts the game, but there shouldnt be a debate whether or not that was legal according to the new NHL standards. I hesitate to say rules - because really lord knows with the NHL - however Shanny's videos are (should) be setting a baseline in this regard.

Note: I don't think the NHL knows how to be consistent - which is a problem in it's own right.


But what about all those videos where guys have been punsihed because the player being hit made 'no sudden movement' just before contact. Letang tries to leap out of Nystrom's way...which is most definitely a 'sudden movement.' If Letang just continues on his path and takes one to the head...illegal...but it really didn't pan out that way.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,804
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 am

Malkamaniac wrote:As of last night Yeho had said that Letang was taking pictures with kids per his twitter feed. Totally means nothing, but he was processing flashing lights and kids.


He came back and scored the game winner vs MTL and then missed 2 months
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,996
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby steelhammer on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 am

If Letang is hurt then Lovejoy will play. Enough with the Despres fantasies already and give Lovejoy some goddamn respect.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:28 am

steelhammer wrote:If Letang is hurt then Lovejoy will play. Enough with the Despres fantasies already and give Lovejoy some goddamn respect.


it's not a slight on lovejoy to want depres in the lineup. the power play is about to become one of the worst units in the league. we need some help if letang is going to be out a while.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,174
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby Froggy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:33 am

Call up Jason Williams... Run a 5 fw unit... Problem solved.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,472
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby sil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:33 am

steelhammer wrote:If Letang is hurt then Lovejoy will play. Enough with the Despres fantasies already and give Lovejoy some goddamn respect.


He'll definitely play some, but I honestly think some folks will want to see how some of these prospects handle elevated minutes. Lovejoy is a good depth defender, but he's a career fringe #7 guy. Depres/Strait/Bortuzzo/Sneep may not be. They won't log huge minutes if/when they play (though neither will Lovejoy), but I would bet Bylsma will try to get them out there in specific situations to see how they handle it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,804
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby sil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:34 am

Froggy wrote:Call up Jason Williams... Run a 5 fw unit... Problem solved.


In future news, the Pittsburgh Penguins now lead the NHL in short handed goals allowed.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,804
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Official GDT: Penguins @Stars 12/02/29

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:41 am

if letang is out and sid is back...geno and sully on the point, sid on the right, neal on the left, kunitz on top of the crease.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,174
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail