CIS University Cup (w/ Stream Links)

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

CIS University Cup (w/ Stream Links)

Postby tfrizz on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:23 am

If you're looking to watch Canada's national university men's hockey championships next week, all games will be streamed on SSN Canada. The schedule and pools are posted below.

Thursday March 22, 1:00pm EDT - #2 McGill Redmen - 6 vs #5 UdeM Aigles Bleus - 3
Thursday March 22, 6:00pm EDT - #1 UNB Varsity Reds - 6 vs #6 UQTR Patriotes - 1

Friday March 23, 1:00pm EDT - #3 Saskatchewan Huskies - 1 vs #5 UdeM Aigles Bleus - 5
Friday March 23, 6:00pm EDT - #4 Western Mustangs - 3 vs #6 UQTR Patriotes - 2 OT

Saturday March 24, 10:30am EDT - #2 McGill Redmen - 3 vs #3 Saskatchewan Huskies - 4
Saturday March 24, 3:30pm EDT - #1 UNB Varsity Reds - 2 vs #4 Western Mustangs - 3

Sunday March 25, 7:00pm EDT - Finals - #2 McGill Redmen vs #4 Western Mustangs (Will be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet)

Pool A
#1 University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds - Roster
#4 University of Western Ontario Mustangs - Roster
#6 Universite de Quebec Trois Rivieres Patriotes - Roster

Pool B
#2 McGill University Redmen - Roster
#3 University of Saskatchewan Huskies - Roster
#5 Universite de Moncton Aigles Bleus - Roster
Last edited by tfrizz on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: CIS University Cup

Postby Zach6668 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Boooo no Lakehead? They were good back when I attended classes there, but haven't paid any attention since.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: CIS University Cup

Postby tfrizz on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Zach6668 wrote:Boooo no Lakehead? They were good back when I attended classes there, but haven't paid any attention since.

I think they lost in the OUA West quarterfinals, but not sure.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: CIS University Cup (w/ Stream Links)

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 pm

I thought I heard through the grapewine that Paul Ranger was on one of these teams in some shape or form...? I really don't follow CIS, although I do respect it because it's not horrid hockey (at least in the small doses that I've seen)
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:19 am

mikey287 wrote:I thought I heard through the grapewine that Paul Ranger was on one of these teams in some shape or form...? I really don't follow CIS, although I do respect it because it's not horrid hockey (at least in the small doses that I've seen)

These stats eventually end up on HockeyDB, but quickly looking through, I don't see any stats for any teams in 11/12 yet, so it's possible they all get added some time over the summer.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 am

mikey287 wrote:I thought I heard through the grapewine that Paul Ranger was on one of these teams in some shape or form...? I really don't follow CIS, although I do respect it because it's not horrid hockey (at least in the small doses that I've seen)

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning ... um=twitter

Paul Ranger, a smooth-skating defenseman who left the Lightning in October 2009 to deal with a personal matter and has not returned, is an assistant coach for a bantam team in Whitby, Ontario, his hometown.

The team's head coach is David Branch, for whom Ranger played minor hockey for four years before moving on to the junior Ontario league and then the Lightning, which drafted Ranger in the sixth round in 2002.

Before the start of Lightning training camp last season, general manager Steve Yzerman said Ranger was “sorting out what he wants to do with his hockey career and with his life. At this time he’s not prepared to commit to coming back to the NHL, and I respect his position.”

That was published 10 days ago.

Also, you're right about CIS hockey. They don't get as many future NHLers as the NCAA because their eligibility rules are more lax, but you get a lot of good junior players and former pros.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 am

Good find, I thought maybe he had gone back to school, ah well...

Yeah, CIS has some good kids from juniors that are cashing in their education packages and what not...pretty good pace to it from what little I've actually seen...that's no beer league, that's for sure...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am

Maybe you could answer a question for me mikey. Former Blue Jackets goalie Dan LaCosta is the backup for UNB. He put up respectable numbers in the AHL and has a 2-0-0 record in the NHL with one shutout. Any idea what happened to his pro career?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 pm

tfrizz wrote:Maybe you could answer a question for me mikey. Former Blue Jackets goalie Dan LaCosta is the backup for UNB. He put up respectable numbers in the AHL and has a 2-0-0 record in the NHL with one shutout. Any idea what happened to his pro career?

Yeah, he played on a pretty brutal NHL team too...I was never wild about him, he really had a lot of definciencies in his game as I recall...I believe it was him that was injured when he was in the ECHL when the team bus crashed...and I think he had that kind of luck with injuries and was very inconsistent and just couldn't get on the ice enough fully healthy to really progress...

I think he played 4 years in the OHL (passed over by the Q? Isn't he a Newfie?) so I'm guessing he's putting his education package to good use instead of scrapping around in Europe...though I know he tried out for at least one team over there (I think a German team)...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:30 pm

mikey287 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Maybe you could answer a question for me mikey. Former Blue Jackets goalie Dan LaCosta is the backup for UNB. He put up respectable numbers in the AHL and has a 2-0-0 record in the NHL with one shutout. Any idea what happened to his pro career?

Yeah, he played on a pretty brutal NHL team too...I was never wild about him, he really had a lot of definciencies in his game as I recall...I believe it was him that was injured when he was in the ECHL when the team bus crashed...and I think he had that kind of luck with injuries and was very inconsistent and just couldn't get on the ice enough fully healthy to really progress...

I think he played 4 years in the OHL (passed over by the Q? Isn't he a Newfie?) so I'm guessing he's putting his education package to good use instead of scrapping around in Europe...though I know he tried out for at least one team over there (I think a German team)...

Alright. I think both him and Fullteron (UNB's starter) have a year of eligibility left, so they should get another run in next season.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 pm

UdeM is leading Saskatchewan 3-1 after 2 period :o

Could make for an interesting game between McGill & Saskatchewan tomorrow morning, especially if UdeM can extend their lead a bit more.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Rumor around the rink tonight is that several NHL teams sent scouts to take a look at UNB's starting goalie, Travis Fullerton.

In 20 games this season, Fullerton has gone 11-1-0 with a 1.67 GAA and .909 save % - all while missing the middle part of the season (~2 months) after an emergency appendectomy.

Edit: Guess that site was outdated, those were last year's numbers. Update with this year's.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Just found out I won a $25 iTunes card from JD Irving Ltd by tweeting during the University Cup. Awesome!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to NPR