Sarich successfully fends off vicious attack from Hall

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sarich successfully fends off vicious attack from Hall

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:05 am

Staggy wrote:No, because Miller 1) isn't a player you can legally hit and 2) Lucic was barreling down on Miller for 100 feet, had every opportunity to see him and avoid him but he decided to just go right through him. Sarich didn't have a chance to avoid Hall. Hall fell when Sarich was one stride away from him. Of course his elbow will make contact with him if the guy falls into it.

If you're going to use unrealistic scenarios so will I: so what you're saying is that if Crosby purposely dives head first into say Hartnell's elbow when Harntell's trying to hit him, then Hartnell is responsible for it?

How am I using unrealistic scenarios? The events in my post actually happened.

Lucic was playing the puck and it was clear from the get-go that he was going to, Miller should've stayed in his crease if he wanted to be assured safety (also, Lucic sees Miller less than second before impact in the video - he's clearly not Lucic charging at Miller for 100 feet across the ice).

If he Sarich had lead with his shoulder properly his elbow shouldn't have made contact with Hall. He attempts to destroy a vulnerable opponent (another complaint many people have on here).
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Staggy on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Staggy wrote:No, because Miller 1) isn't a player you can legally hit and 2) Lucic was barreling down on Miller for 100 feet, had every opportunity to see him and avoid him but he decided to just go right through him. Sarich didn't have a chance to avoid Hall. Hall fell when Sarich was one stride away from him. Of course his elbow will make contact with him if the guy falls into it.

If you're going to use unrealistic scenarios so will I: so what you're saying is that if Crosby purposely dives head first into say Hartnell's elbow when Harntell's trying to hit him, then Hartnell is responsible for it?

How am I using unrealistic scenarios? The events in my post actually happened.

Lucic was playing the puck and it was clear from the get-go that he was going to, Miller should've stayed in his crease if he wanted to be assured safety (also, Lucic sees Miller less than second before impact in the video - he's clearly not Lucic charging at Miller for 100 feet across the ice).

If he Sarich had lead with his shoulder properly his elbow shouldn't have made contact with Hall. He attempts to destroy a vulnerable opponent (another complaint many people have on here).

I was referring to your high stick scenario. And I still don't know how you inferred that I'd be okay with a goalie getting trucked over when I was talking about a player not being able to react when someone falls right before he was going to hit him.

Lucic sees Miller at the last second (although I think he could see him prior to that) because he had his head down the whole way. Just because you have your head down doesn't give you an excuse to hit a goalie. If you want to argue that goalies should be allowed to be hit if they leave their crease then I'm fine with that, but the current rules actually do assure Miller safety if he wants to skate out to play the puck.

Yes Sarich was trying to destroy a vulnerable opponent but that's not the hit that happened. He was going for a big hit that may or may not have been legal, and then Hall fell which negated that hit. Sarich's elbow was down the entire time. He was leaning in to hit him with his shoulder when Hall fell which caused Sarich's arm to make contact with his head. From the side view, you can see Sarich never adjusts his elbow position after Hall fell.

If he Sarich had lead with his shoulder properly his elbow shouldn't have made contact with Hall.

Actually it's the opposite. If Sarich had led illegally (with his elbow) then there would be no chance for his elbow to make contact with Hall's head because his elbow would be far too high. Sarich leading with his shoulder while keeping his elbow low was actually what caused the contact to the head. I don't know how Hall falling into his elbow can be deemed an illegal hit.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 am

This thread is an example of why I avoid 95% of all major debates on LGP.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 am

it's not really a debate. it's a couple of guys who have made LGP careers out of being contrarian for its own sake. I'm done with this thread.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:16 am

If Crosby had been looking up during the Winter Classic last year, he would have eventually broken Gretzky's all-time scoring record with a whopping 289 points and 98 goals by the end of the 2010-11 campaign. JUST BECAUSE WE NEVER SAW IT HAPPEN DOESN'T MEAN IT WASN'T ABOUT TO HAPPEN.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:38 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:If Crosby had been looking up during the Winter Classic last year, he would have eventually broken Gretzky's all-time scoring record with a whopping 289 points and 98 goals by the end of the 2010-11 campaign. JUST BECAUSE WE NEVER SAW IT HAPPEN DOESN'T MEAN IT WASN'T ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

:face:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm

penmyst wrote:
Froggy wrote:A-I think it's inconclusive if he hit his head. He was going over him, so it's kind of hard to tell what hits what and how hard.

B- Whether or not he hits his head is totally irrelevant because if he doesn't fall at the last minute, it's a non issue.

If he doesn't fall at the last minute, he's probably clinically dead right now.

If he doesn't fall, his trajectory would collide with Sarich's shoulder.

100% impact to the head.

The head.

Sarich was aiming for the head.

Look at 0:10.

The head.

He is leaning in toward the head.

That's how I viewed it.

It obviously didn't happen, so no worries.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Staggy wrote:I was referring to your high stick scenario. And I still don't know how you inferred that I'd be okay with a goalie getting trucked over when I was talking about a player not being able to react when someone falls right before he was going to hit him.

Lucic sees Miller at the last second (although I think he could see him prior to that) because he had his head down the whole way. Just because you have your head down doesn't give you an excuse to hit a goalie. If you want to argue that goalies should be allowed to be hit if they leave their crease then I'm fine with that, but the current rules actually do assure Miller safety if he wants to skate out to play the puck.

Yes Sarich was trying to destroy a vulnerable opponent but that's not the hit that happened. He was going for a big hit that may or may not have been legal, and then Hall fell which negated that hit. Sarich's elbow was down the entire time. He was leaning in to hit him with his shoulder when Hall fell which caused Sarich's arm to make contact with his head. From the side view, you can see Sarich never adjusts his elbow position after Hall fell.

/ Thread

Hall falling does not negate the hit.

If he Sarich had lead with his shoulder properly his elbow shouldn't have made contact with Hall.

Actually it's the opposite. If Sarich had led illegally (with his elbow) then there would be no chance for his elbow to make contact with Hall's head because his elbow would be far too high. Sarich leading with his shoulder while keeping his elbow low was actually what caused the contact to the head. I don't know how Hall falling into his elbow can be deemed an illegal hit.

No it wouldn't of: it would've hit him across his head.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 pm

columbia wrote:
penmyst wrote:
Froggy wrote:A-I think it's inconclusive if he hit his head. He was going over him, so it's kind of hard to tell what hits what and how hard.

B- Whether or not he hits his head is totally irrelevant because if he doesn't fall at the last minute, it's a non issue.

100% impact to the head.

The head.

The head.

That's how I viewed it.

It obviously didn't happen, so no worries.

Stop making a career out of being a contrarian!
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:46 pm

lol

I'm not even taking a side (if there are two sides)...just stating the obvious.
Thankfully Hall fell down and a pretty bad hit was averted.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:13 pm

columbia wrote:lol

I'm not even taking a side (if there are two sides)...just stating the obvious.
Thankfully Hall fell down and a pretty bad hit was averted.

:thumb:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:22 pm

penmyst wrote:

100% impact to the head.

The head.

The head.

So basically, what you're saying is, good thing Hall fell and got hit in the head because if he didn't then he was going to get hit in the head... :?:
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Where the F is this notion coming from that if Hall had not fallen down there "would have been a vicious hit to the head"?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Where the F is this notion coming from that if Hall had not fallen down there "would have been a vicious hit to the head"?

I have no idea. I think the thread creator is the same person who always seems to think they can tell where a player's eyes are focussed when a hit occurs though. Sarich was probably focussed on Hall's temple.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 am

Froggy wrote:it's not really a debate. it's a couple of guys who have made LGP careers out of being contrarian for its own sake. I'm done with this thread.

This, exactly.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:39 pm

canaan wrote:is this thread even real?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Sarich took a blow to the head in a collission with David Jones (if I recall) last night.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NPR