Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Yeah, I didn't know that they owned Sun Media until I read the article.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Streaks House on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:39 pm

This could be it:

@DarrenDreger: Unless progress is made this week in sale of Coyotes.NHL will begin Plan B investigation next wk. Seattle, Que City, Vegas and KC in mix.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: Ted Carrick's Table

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby npv708 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:43 pm

- Quebec City would be so awesome, but only if they brought back the Nordiques.
- Kansas City has a new arena that is just dying for a pro team
- Seattle would prefer a NBA team
- I just don't think a team would do well in Vegas, see Las Vegas Outlaws.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 pm

npv708 wrote:- Quebec City would be so awesome, but only if they brought back the Nordiques.
- Kansas City has a new arena that is just dying for a pro team
- Seattle would prefer a NBA team
- I just don't think a team would do well in Vegas, see Las Vegas Outlaws.

If you remove some of your "problem franchises", I can't see why they don't take a chance on Vegas.

I would "add" every one of those cities.

Agreed about QC: If they can, I'd love to see a small variation on their unused 95-96 jerseys (make the "blue" more blue and less green, add a bit of red if possible)
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby FanofUlf on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:41 am

I think they stay another year.
Glendale will lose more than 25 million if they leave. Sooner or later the government in Glendale and the tea partyers there need to learn the enemy of the good is perfection. Yes, it stinks to use tax payer dollars in this case, but the deed was done a decade and a half ago when the contract was made. Lose the team, the arena is useless and still have to be paid.

If they move, do Seattle.
NH: can't afford to abandon markets in the sunbelt, since this is where the balance of the population and economy will be headed.
Place then in a growing, young, disposable economic place like Seattle.
Not a small market like KC or Quebec (save them for the Isles, please).
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 pm
Location: Land

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Nizzy on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 am

If Quebec City has a good enough arena, then its a crime if their not the next place to receive a team.

The pure HATRED of the Montreal vs Quebec rivary is just as big as Pens/Flyers, Detroit/Chicago.

@the guy who talked about the economy in the subbelt??? all the older people/population moving there already have their own teams picked out.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 am

Just for fun: What would everyone name a Seattle NHL team?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:37 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:Just for fun: What would everyone name a Seattle NHL team?

The Baristas.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:Just for fun: What would everyone name a Seattle NHL team?

The Baristas.

Didn't they have a hockey team at one point? Metropolitans?
The seattle Mets. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,648
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 am

I think Seattle would be a very good place for an NHL team. There are alot of former Alaskans that have moved to Seattle. They could have a pretty hardcore base, which in the NHL, you totally need to be successful. A Seattle-Vancouver rivalry could be sweet.

Don't do KC.

Save Quebec City for the Islanders or the Panthers
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby newarenanow on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 am

I still hope they stay in Phoenix, but it just seems like such a mess there right now within the ownership (or lack there of) ranks and the government, it is hurting the one ice product.

IF all else fails, I'd prefer Seattle or Quebec City.

Quebec City will restore the East/West flavor since Atlanta moved to Winnepeg, and hopefully they get rid of that stupid 4 conference thing they want to do.

Seattle is a decent sized city that I think hockey would do well in and it keeps some interest in the US in a bigger city.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,338
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:Just for fun: What would everyone name a Seattle NHL team?

The Baristas.

Didn't they have a hockey team at one point? Metropolitans?
The seattle Mets. :pop:

That's the only name I've seen seriously suggested elsewhere.

Lol I was trying to think of a name to do with coffee :thumb: .
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:Just for fun: What would everyone name a Seattle NHL team?

The Baristas.

Didn't they have a hockey team at one point? Metropolitans?
The seattle Mets. :pop:

That's the only name I've seen seriously suggested elsewhere.

Lol I was trying to think of a name to do with coffee :thumb: .


The Hipsters?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,058
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:08 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:Just for fun: What would everyone name a Seattle NHL team?

The Baristas.

Didn't they have a hockey team at one point? Metropolitans?
The seattle Mets. :pop:

That's the only name I've seen seriously suggested elsewhere.

Lol I was trying to think of a name to do with coffee :thumb: .


The Hipsters?

:lol: But then no one would hear about them!
Last edited by Physical_Graffiti on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Since the NHL owns the Coyotes, their future city depends mostly on their future ownership. I am not sure if there is an ownership group in Seattle looking for an NHL team. I remember hearing interest in Quebec.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,182
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385636

LABEAUME PREDICTS FIRST-CLASS NHL ARENA FOR QUEBEC CITY

Quebec City is confident its planned $400-million arena will rival the best in the NHL, mayor Regis Labeaume said Friday, but architects already have been told to make some minor alterations so that the project doesn't exceed its budget.
After touring Pittsburgh's one-year-old Consol Energy Center, Labeaume told reporters it would be a "dream" to deliver a similar building to his hockey-starved constituents. Quebec lost an NHL team when the Nordiques moved to Denver in 1995 and were renamed the Avalanche.

And should an NHL team, perhaps the Phoenix Coyotes, look to relocate before the Quebec City arena opens in 2015, Labeaume said the city is ready to welcome it to the existing Pepsi Colisee as early as "tomorrow morning."
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 am

I don't care how much nostalgia there is in Québéc, there isn't enough corporate sponsorship available.

MRandall25 wrote:
The Hipsters?


Just call it the underground.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 am

Trip McNeely wrote:I think Seattle would be a very good place for an NHL team. There are alot of former Alaskans that have moved to Seattle. They could have a pretty hardcore base, which in the NHL, you totally need to be successful. A Seattle-Vancouver rivalry could be sweet.

Don't do KC.

Save Quebec City for the Islanders or the Panthers


I like this. I can't envision long-term sustainable success in Kansas City, though I'm not an economist.

Seattle could work out well, those west-coast teams have actually succeeded. It's better than Phoenix because it isn't a bunch of older transplants that already have their own teams to root for. That's half the problem with the Panthers. And why Vegas probably wouldn't work out so well.

Try to keep Phoenix out west, then move the next team to QC, whether it's NYI, NJ, Florida, Nashville
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,630
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Nizzy on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:33 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
Trip McNeely wrote:I think Seattle would be a very good place for an NHL team. There are alot of former Alaskans that have moved to Seattle. They could have a pretty hardcore base, which in the NHL, you totally need to be successful. A Seattle-Vancouver rivalry could be sweet.

Don't do KC.

Save Quebec City for the Islanders or the Panthers


I like this. I can't envision long-term sustainable success in Kansas City, though I'm not an economist.

Seattle could work out well, those west-coast teams have actually succeeded. It's better than Phoenix because it isn't a bunch of older transplants that already have their own teams to root for. That's half the problem with the Panthers. And why Vegas probably wouldn't work out so well.

Try to keep Phoenix out west, then move the next team to QC, whether it's NYI, NJ, Florida, Nashville


I liked his post too, makes sense. This way Detroit can still cry about staying in the West.

(yao_ming_meme.jpg)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Rylan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:41 am

Seattle Grunge

Seattle Depression

Seattle Golden Seals (lol I know they weren't in Seattle but its one of my favorite old names)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,000
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:22 am

Rylan wrote:Seattle Grunge

Seattle Depression

Seattle Golden Seals (lol I know they weren't in Seattle but its one of my favorite old names)

Something to do with Grunge would be awesome imo, but I can't think of a way to make it sound right to me.

Seattle Fusion? Seattle Grungers? Seattle Soundwaves? Seattle Slick? Seattle Streetcars? Seattle Soul? Seattle Chic?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Rylan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:23 am

Seattle Slam-Dancers
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,000
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby no name on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 am

Man if KC gets it, how do you work (the new) re-alighnemnt, either Detroit or Columbus would have to move east.

Seattle Volcanos.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,994
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:03 am

Seattle Oysters
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,722
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Phoenix Coyotes staying in Phoenix?

Postby Rylan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:18 am

Seattle Eruption.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,000
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


e-mail