USHL Team for Pittsburgh?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

USHL Team for Pittsburgh?

Postby Bathgate on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:34 pm

I thought I just heard Madden say Pittsburgh may be getting a USHL team. Anybody know anything?
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: USHL Team for Pittsburgh?

Postby no name on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:23 pm

For thoes of you, who like me doesn't know anything about the ushl, (united states hockey league), its a 18 and under developmental league, you play and live in that city goto school in the city to futher your hockey career.

Sneep, Vitale, Philip Samuelsson all came from this league befor they were drafter. SO i guess the best players from your surrounding area can goto this league if they qualify. Its kinda like a High school all star team, playing vs other area high school all star teams.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:42 pm

That would be pretty cool. I've heard of the USHL, but never really knew what it consisted of.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dman66 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:45 pm

When the Forge played, what league were they in? Would this be similar?
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:14 pm

USHL is pretty much US Juniors?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 pm

MRandall25 wrote:USHL is pretty much US Juniors?

Yea
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:51 am

Thunder Bay Flyers!

Patrick Sharp played for them in the USHL years ago.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:39 am

That is a great developmental league that has a ton of alumni in the NHL today. They also produce a ton of D1 scholarship players after a year or two in that league after High School. The D1 scholarship route is well traveled and probably the biggest difference between the Canadian Junior system and this league.

Justin Abdelkader, Andrew Alberts, Keith Ballard, Jason Blake, Jared Boll, Matt Carle, John Carlson, Joe Corvo, Mark Eaton, Dan Ellis, Ruslan Fedotenko, Matt Greene, Rusty Klesla, Chad Larose, Joe Pavelski, Max Paccioretty, Toby Peterson, Teddy Purcell, Brian Rafalski, Patrick Sharp, Paul Statsny and Tomas Vanek are alums of NHL note.

It has continued to produce more and more NHL draft picks year over year. Phil Housley, Jim Johnson, Brian Rafalski and yes even Gordie Howe once played in the USHL.

Not a bad league to come to town.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 am

no name wrote:For thoes of you, who like me doesn't know anything about the ushl, (united states hockey league), its a 18 and under developmental league, you play and live in that city goto school in the city to futher your hockey career.

Sneep, Vitale, Philip Samuelsson all came from this league befor they were drafter. SO i guess the best players from your surrounding area can goto this league if they qualify. Its kinda like a High school all star team, playing vs other area high school all star teams.

What?

It's Junior A... the top Jr. A league in the United States. You can play there to age 20

Most guys in that league top out at NCAA D1, but the younger guys have a shot at getting picked up by a CHL team or even drafted by an NHL team.

It's not as good as the Q, the O, or the W, but it's probably the next best junior league in North America
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Staggy on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
no name wrote:For thoes of you, who like me doesn't know anything about the ushl, (united states hockey league), its a 18 and under developmental league, you play and live in that city goto school in the city to futher your hockey career.

What?

It's Junior A... the top Jr. A league in the United States. You can play there to age 20

Most guys in that league top out at NCAA D1, but the younger guys have a shot at getting picked up by a CHL team or even drafted by an NHL team.

It's not as good as the Q, the O, or the W, but it's probably the next best junior league in North America

Yeah, you can pretty much guarantee if a kid is playing high school hockey in this area, he won't be going to the USHL. Back when the Pittsburgh Hornets were a national power, even the cream of the crop from their Midget Major team had a hard time making it in the USHL.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NPR