Emergency GDT Pens vs Islanders (take II)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Emergency GDT Pens vs Islanders (take II)

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:34 am

Mr. Colby wrote:It's easy to tell the Pens do not care about the #1 seed. If they did, they never would have re-configured the lines tonight, nor would they have started Thiessen in Ottawa, nor would Letang be sitting out right now.

As soon as the Pens clinched the playoffs, their sole focus is to be healthy and prepared for the playoffs. They know they can beat anyone and do not care who they are matched up with. Nor do i.

You may be reading the same clippings that the team was reading about how they are a Cup favorite. Right now, they are a team that has shown a VERY serious propensity to get frustrated in their game. The Ottawa, Philly and two Islander losses are eerily similar to the team that has lost rounds to Montreal and Tampa - losing focus while an opponent gets in their head.

I know we are all excited that Sid is back, but he is not right at the moment. I don't think he has shown me anything that gives me 100% confidence that he is going to dominate any time soon either. He has played well, and got some points in bunches while we were pouring in goals, but he has had quite a few non-descript games as well. I am not at all saying he is never going to be the same, but there is not a lot of time left for him to regain his speed and puck control. Neither are at their top level at this point and we are definitely going to need him against the Flyers. I hope it comes that quickly.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 am

Yeah it's concerning the way they're playing right now but it seems like the will to win just isn't there the way it was before. It's pretty inexcusable to go down 2 goals to a team like the Islanders, let alone 2 games in a row. The difference between the team now and the team during the winning streak was that when they'd go down 0-2 against a Tampa or a Winnipeg, they'd kick themselves in the ass and wake up. They're not doing that right now and I think it's because they just want to get to the playoffs.

Hopefully that's what it is, and I think it is. They just need to make sure they get back to doing the things that make them unbeatable.

And I agree with Sid... even though he's scored a lot of points there have been times, more often than not, where he's just another guy out there. Let's not forget he has been off basically an entire year, so he's gonna need a month or so to get back to his own game
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Patton on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:30 am

Long time listener, first time caller....poster. You guys have kept me sane this year since I moved away from pittsburgh, it's been great to get some actual feedback about what the hell is going on in games and with the team, versus trying to figure it out via espn and the such. And you're always good for a laugh when I need it.

Anyway, figured why not pick an abortion like tonight's game as my first post, not like I could make it worse. A couple things:

1. I'm torn on the messing around with the lines. On one side, during the game, I'm mother f-ing everyone from Bylsma to Shero to malkin to madden to steigy (never mike lange, ever). It sucks that it clearly is disrupting the chemistry of the entire team. This isn't NHL 94, where players could be plugged into any line, any time, and play at the same level no matter their linemates. Curiously, the wrap around still works every time...but I digress. But what are they going to do? Did we really expect them to leave crosby with cooke and kennedy? Yes, cooke's been hot lately, thanks to crosby, but kennedy looks like a third liner who is used to being the center of attention on his line. He's been ok lately, but he still makes me want to choke him every time he passes up on feeding crosby to take a one handed bad angle shot with his eyes closed from our redline. Clearly some adjustments needed to happen, and I think we'd all rather see these growing pains happen now, then in the playoffs. The pens right now are merely going through the growing pains that most teams go through in October and November while trying to figure themselves out. It's frustrating as hell, especially since it seems like they've taken a step back by adding "the best player in the world". All that being said, I'm of the firm belief of sticking with their strength down the middle that has given other teams such headaches in the past. The mismatches it presents can't be passed up, especially when I don't see staal's ability at winger, right now, as any great upgrade over any of our top 6. He's a damn good center, as are sid and geno, but only an above average winger at this point. Taking a great center off one line for an above average winger on another...meh. Anyways, lines as I would like to see them are like this:

kunitz-malkin-neal
sullivan-crosby-duper
cooke-stall-kennedy
vitale-adams-asham

There you have two lines that are proven to be excellent in the past, a good line of grinders, and a line with the best player in the world+a good if small veteran+ the hottest player in the nhl(I joke, but it sure seems like it lately). I honestly will be a bit dissapointed in HCDB if it goes any other way, but he makes the big bucks, not me.

2. The powerplay... :face: Honestly, why? So many wtf here I can't even begin, so I'll just say this: Clearly the 5 forwards thing is a product of our two best pointmen on d aren't in the lineup (that whole "martin will be a good replacement for gonchar on the pp" thing hasn't quite worked out, huh? There's my required LGP martin whipping boy comment, though I honestly think you guys underrate him), but if it continues after tanger or niskanen are back, HCDB needs to take the IMPACT test. I would think the obvious casualty on the PP with crosby's return would've been kunitz, with neal sliding into kunitz's spot, and crosby into neal's. Malkin clearly isn't nearly as comfortable, or good, on the point as he is on the halfwall, and though sid is sid, these have been malkin's penguins this year, why move him? Which brings me to my next point....

3. I love fleury, and he's been great, and letang is as important to this team as anyone, but this year especially...as goes malkin, so goes the Pens. By far my favorite player, just because I think he'd be the best to grab a beer with, so maybe I'm biased....but I'll the first to admit that malkin has serious confidence issues. He's temperamental, but not in an intentional diva way, more in a clown of a pitbull way...so fun and great when he's up an happy, but sometimes get's skiddish, and breaks your heart and rips your face off when he's feeling lost/down. When he's hot, he makes the little effort plays that go unnoticed, he skates harder, he shoots first and asks questions later, and "girls love"; when he's not he coasts with the occasional streak of feistiness that is flipping a coin as to whether we'll see a great goal or 71 in the penalty box. Yes, in a perfect world, he's a great player that should be able to adjust to being moved off the side wall to the point, and should produce with whomever you put him with. I think we can look to never getting to see a healthy mario, sid getting concussed twice, and jagr getting traded for 600,000, a bag of pucks, and a yearly xmas card to Craig Patrick as proof that his isn't a perfect world. I personally think when it comes to decisions this late in the season, knowing that malkin can be the way he is, HCBD and GMRS really need to remove any part of the game that involves changes for him when it comes to moving sid back into the lineup. It should have been: "which 2 players from the bottom three lines do we put with sid, and which of these three players do we swap sid in for on the PP".

4. Sid will get better. He's average right now, but he's been out of the game forever, and atleast his average is better than all of maybe 5 players goods, so I'll take it for now. I've just come to accept we probably won't see sid at his best again until next season, but it may still happen before then. He's spoiled us for so long, but right now, I'm not getting those butterflies of "anything can happen" everytime he steps on the ice. Just give it time.

5. Fleury is Fleury...if the stage isn't big, don't expect him to carry the team. But come the game 7 breakaway by ovechkin in the first 10 minutes...we all know he'll make the glove save.

6. Letang being out has sucked. But anyone notice that we managed to play ok without him, but without niskanen.... :scared: We all know who the new piece is.

Back to organic chem studying, I blame you all for my F tomorrow
Patton

Postby Guinness on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:35 am

When you roll off a dozen or so wins in a row, especially in the fashion they did, you have a tendency to get pretty impressed with yourself. You could tell during the last few games of that win streak that they weren't worried about getting scored on - they were coming in waves and even if the puck went the other way on them, it was a beach ball in Fleury's eyes. When your defensemen barely even have to line up a pass to connect 90' up ice, and the forwards were keeping the puck deep in the zone every shift, it's natural for a team to start to get a little lax in the fundamentals.

Pride goeth before the fall...

I bet it's awful easy to look at the schedule and see that turd of a team and think they were looking at an automatic 4. Tuesday night could have been written off as a fluke.

Hopefully now, they realize you actually have to not just show up, but perform - fundamentals, execution, system. It's up to them, though, to ratchet down.

They weren't as good as they looked during the win streak, and they're not as bad as it feels right now.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 am

I'm not concerned about Sid's play. The things that made him a dominant player are still there, especially his passing. Sure, he has lost something in the goal scoring department, but that will return eventually. He is obviously a little hesitant to drive to the net like he used to, or go crashing in there for rebounds. But when the games are on the line in the post season, he will do those things, and he will score more goals.

My major concern is the defense without Letang. It is really exposed, especially Martin and Michalek. I'm thankful that the team has a bunch of prospects coming up through the system very soon. I hope RS is able to clear those two guys out this summer. At this point, I would re-sign Niskanen before I'd keep those two. For veteran defensemen, they are making basic fundamental hockey mistakes, and they are doing it time and time again.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 am

Michalek seems to have regressed over the course of the season...he just seems so weak in his own zone. Martin started out rough, really ironed out his game and shined for about 20 or 25 games, and is now starting to regress again. Are you sure you are ready to rely on your prospects though? I know Despres is up and coming, but I need to see him lose the rookie jitters first.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am

On a side note, there is a certain Facebook poster that comments frequently on Mark Madden's statuses, among a couple of others. I will not mention her name, but she is arguably the worst fan I have ever heard in my entire life. Just in the last 12 hours, she has demanded that Sid be traded, wondered aloud what has he done since he's been back, argued that since Sid "got a booboo" last night and we scored when he was off the ice, we can get rid of him, etc.

It's beyond belief.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am

flyers, bruins, rangers all have gone through recent slumps; they need to end it tonight.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 am

That was a rough one.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:44 am

shafnutz05 wrote:On a side note, there is a certain Facebook poster that comments frequently on Mark Madden's statuses, among a couple of others. I will not mention her name, but she is arguably the worst fan I have ever heard in my entire life. Just in the last 12 hours, she has demanded that Sid be traded, wondered aloud what has he done since he's been back, argued that since Sid "got a booboo" last night and we scored when he was off the ice, we can get rid of him, etc.

It's beyond belief.

You gotta mention a name at that point.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby duke66 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 am

penny lane wrote:flyers, bruins, rangers all have gone through recent slumps; they need to end it tonight.

this. every team goes through as liev schrieber said on 24/7, ebbs and flows. this may be a bad time for the pens to hit a rough patch, but it happens. it also comes on the heels of an amazing win streak. they need to work on some stuff, and maybe 87 still needs to find his game. however, i still now, and will always have high hopes for the pens this post season. and spare me the sarcastic comments about how i will be disappointed when the pens lose in the 1st round. if u are a fan and believe they will lose to philly in round one, then please, by all means, stop watching the games and commenting on this board. thanks.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:50 am

Welcome, Patton!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:28 am

The thing that really irks me about Martin is when he takes a shot, it looks like he puts nothing into it (i.e. its all arms, he doesnt use his body to any some power behind it).
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:The thing that really irks me about Martin is when he takes a shot, it looks like he puts nothing into it (i.e. its all arms, he doesnt use his body to any some power behind it).

All it's gotta do is get to the net. As long as there's traffic in front and people can bang it home. His 25 assists are fine with me. If we're doing the 3 assists = 1 goal thing. He has 8.3333333333333333333333333333333333333 goals this year.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 am

Yeah, I don't really mind the soft wristers from the blue line. Honestly, I would rather have a soft wrister that works its way into traffic in front of the net than a hard shot that misses the net by 5 feet or hits someone's legs and goes out into the neutral zone.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:On a side note, there is a certain Facebook poster that comments frequently on Mark Madden's statuses, among a couple of others. I will not mention her name, but she is arguably the worst fan I have ever heard in my entire life. Just in the last 12 hours, she has demanded that Sid be traded, wondered aloud what has he done since he's been back, argued that since Sid "got a booboo" last night and we scored when he was off the ice, we can get rid of him, etc.

It's beyond belief.

You gotta mention a name at that point.

Kicksave :slug:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby marek on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 pm

In the fateful words of Spoon:

"You got no fear of the underdog... That's why you will not survive"

I'm hoping for some serious change in work rate and desperation tonight from our boys in black... otherwise kiss home ice goodbye.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:54 pm

It's beyond belief.

It's probably MM using an alias. He has to pretend he has at least 1 female fan.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bab81 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:The thing that really irks me about Martin is when he takes a shot, it looks like he puts nothing into it (i.e. its all arms, he doesnt use his body to any some power behind it).

All it's gotta do is get to the net. As long as there's traffic in front and people can bang it home. His 25 assists are fine with me. If we're doing the 3 assists = 1 goal thing. He has 8.3333333333333333333333333333333333333 goals this year.

It's one thing to think positively about Martin, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking Martin has been anything offensive this year.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:29 pm

bab81 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

It's one thing to think positively about Martin, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking Martin has been anything offensive this year.

Actually, his production this year (26 points) is on par with the rest of his career.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Groan... Paul Martin has never been an offensive defenseman, he just happens to be pretty good at making outlet passes...which is exactly what the Penguins need.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bab81 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:40 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
bab81 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Actually, his production this year (26 points) is on par with the rest of his career.

Yes. Did you have a point to go along with this or were you agreeing with me?
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 pm

bab81 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
bab81 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Yes. Did you have a point to go along with this or were you agreeing with me?

What were you expecting from Martin? 60 points and 15 goals?

Also, calm down bro. No need to get snippy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bab81 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 pm

No, this is about why expected from Martin. Just saying that there is no way to spin Martins goals (haha) or assists into thinking he has had a good offensive year.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Im fine with Martin getting the puck on net, I am just saying that I have never seen an umpf behind any of his shots, even when he has a clear shooting lane.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins