April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this pink was hurting your eyes.


:thumb: Mine too. :shock:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,552
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Fly ers in 5
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,852
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Bioshock on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Pens in 3
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,892
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 pm

DelPen wrote:What was Laviolette thinking putting Briere out their with a minute to go in a 6-3 game?


according to his post-game remarks, he thinks only top 9 players should be on the ice when the game is effectively over. of course, if we're up 6-3 and have a power play with 2 minutes left, i'm sure he'll appreciate seeing our top unit on the ice.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,588
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Bylsma...seriously with the five forward nonsense? Unbelievable
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,731
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 pm

there their they're

LOL- Admin changed "t-h-e-r-e" to their... you sly fox you
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,877
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Steve on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:
DelPen wrote:What was Laviolette thinking putting Briere out their with a minute to go in a 6-3 game?


according to his post-game remarks, he thinks only top 9 players should be on the ice when the game is effectively over. of course, if we're up 6-3 and have a power play with 2 minutes left, i'm sure he'll appreciate seeing our top unit on the ice.


I also believe he was watching another game on his ipad or something - one that didn't involve two teams taking liberties with each other all afternoon....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,687
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby penmyst on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Here is hoping that the Pens don't get suckered into something stupid in the last game of the season, and lose a player for suspension going into the first round.

Most any Pen getting suspended (even if the Flyer that starts it does too) is a "win" for the Flyers.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Staggy on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:33 pm

As long as we leave Saturday's game with a healthy lineup, I'll call that a victory.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,038
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby jimjom on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Flyers

Was just testing the Caps/Flyers thing
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,895
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:13 am

Yes the Pens still want home ice. Not getting home ice means they continue to struggle going into the playoffs. If they do that they're going to get smoked. The best thing that can happen is after getting embarrassed for the fourth time in about a week, they finally realize they need to start playing defense again and need to show up for the entire 60 minutes. Then they get a few wins going into the playoffs and take out Philly like they are perfectly capable of doing.

As far as the PP goes, Bylsma just seems to be stubborn at this point. It's not working and it's not going to be a good match against a Philly PK that can burn you with SHG. If they keep with the status quo, they are going to get crushed in the special teams battle and it's going to be hard to win a series against Philly with that being the case.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:15 am

I was soooo unhappy when a dinner in NYC with friends who are moving away to Alabama was scheduled for today. I had planned on driving home for the weekend and using my tix. Annoyed that it was the only date that worked for everyone else (party of 8 folks), I sold my tix on the Exchange.

Watching this on Tivo just now, I am so happy I did not have that 5 hour drive home in the rain. This loss is incredibly disappointing and distressing for many of reasons.

Number one, the place is rocking, the Pens are winning, and Fleury allows a weak goal on a long shot from Giroux. Yes, Hartnell was in front, but that was a stoppable shot. When that goal went in, you could sense the life in the building drop and the heads of the Flyers pick up. The Flyer goalies in the last two games, no matter what their pedigree, have outplayed Fleury in never yielding that soul sucking goal.

Number two, the Pens PP is a high-wire act when it does not need to be. It has clearly been shown that Sullivan can survive back there on the point - when he has Letang on the opposite. Having another forward back there with him, when he is so obviously challenged defensively due to his size is just plain stupid. It is SO stupid that if Bylsma keeps it up and the Pens do in fact get bounced in the 1st round then I completely agree with him getting axed.

The Pens have teams coming up in the next two games that will hopefully bring out the best in them. They need to play the game as though they want to win 1-0. They need Fleury to play up to his level of the entire rest of the season.

Most importantly then, they need to beat the Flyers on that last game of the season. Hopefully to win home ice, but moreso phsycologically. If the Pens lose that game, especially if it actually matters at that time, then they are toast because the Flyers seem to be able to goad the Penguins into stupidity even when the Pens are winning. I do not feel good about the Pens winning a series against them right now, but that can all change very quickly.

What they need is a good, solid win without engaging in the Flyers game. The Flyers thrive on emotion, and the Pens need to realize that before it's too late and just play solid hockey. I honestly believe that an angry Sid or Malkin wrecks every single team in the NHL EXCEPT the Flyers. With the Flyers, any emotion is good because their entire roster elevates when they get emotion into the game. Most of the Pens are not able to do the same.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,355
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Staggy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 am

It's still mind blowing to me that Bylsma is planning to stick with the 5 forward powerplay. We have Letang, one of the best defenseman in the game and for some reason he is on the bench. If Bylsma actually sticks with this powerplay, then Shero needs to have a talk with him because at that point it's just pure stubbornness. It doesn't even have to be Shero, it can be Granato or Reirden, I don't even care if it's Dana ****ing Heinze. Somebody has to point out how ridiculous this is.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,038
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Streaks House on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 am

Staggy wrote:It's still mind blowing to me that Bylsma is planning to stick with the 5 forward powerplay. We have Letang, one of the best defenseman in the game and for some reason he is on the bench. If Bylsma actually sticks with this powerplay, then Shero needs to have a talk with him because at that point it's just pure stubbornness. It doesn't even have to be Shero, it can be Granato or Reirden, I don't even care if it's Dana ****ing Heinze. Somebody has to point out how ridiculous this is.


Part of me *hopes* that the logic in using a 5-forward PP today was to limit Letang's TOI. I've yet to see a proponent of the 5-man PP, and if there are any, I'd think today was evidence as to why this is a really bad idea.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: Ted Carrick's Table

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:57 am

Do we know that Shero disagrees with using 5 Fs on the PP?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,253
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:06 am

Just give me a series of dumping and attacking those flyers defenseman. If Grossman is hurt, they are going to be thin there. The penguins need to invest on hitting those guys all series, then forcing them to chase them time after time around the net on a cycle.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,916
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 am

I think Laviolette got caught not paying attention. Up 3 within 2 minutes he puts a scoring line out, the pens countered with a 4th line (and big bad scary Joe Vitale).

Laviolette takes a stick and slashes it against the side glass, sending the blade of the broke stick flying toward the penguin bench and onto the ice. This is what caused Granato to stand up. Laviolette, instead of accepting his stupid mistake, then blamed Bylsma for matching his 4th line out there.

Bylsma should have said, "well in a 6-3 game with just a few minutes left, I didnt want to risk Crosby or Malkin taking another cross check from behind while skating back to his bench".
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,916
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Three Stars on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 am

columbia wrote:Do we know that Shero disagrees with using 5 Fs on the PP?


I like that people apparently have intimate knowledge of all of the Penguins' inner circle's innermost thoughts. I'm waiting to hear about Bylsma's "ego" problem again.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 am

Three Stars wrote:
columbia wrote:Do we know that Shero disagrees with using 5 Fs on the PP?


I like that people apparently have intimate knowledge of all of the Penguins' inner circle's innermost thoughts. I'm waiting to hear about Bylsma's "ego" problem again.


:thumb:

Well, RS is preparing to fire DB, so don't question it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,253
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:59 am

I put a season's worth of overeaction to a loss, in 1 game yesterday. :thumbdown: I know better!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,043
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 am

I disagree with all of the psychoanalysis in this situation, but I simply cannot fathom a reason why Letang wouldn't be quarterbacking the power play going into the playoffs. It simply doesn't make any sense.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,731
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Three Stars on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:02 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I disagree with all of the psychoanalysis in this situation, but I simply cannot fathom a reason why Letang wouldn't be quarterbacking the power play going into the playoffs. It simply doesn't make any sense.


Sure it does. They want to get Crosby in on the #1 power play, which is the correct choice when you have a Sidney Crosby on your team. Somebody has to go. They tried to go without Sullivan and that didn't work. Now they're trying to go without Letang since Sullivan is essential. The other choices of people to remove are Malkin (uh, yeah) and Neal (leading the league in power play goals).
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 am

letang has proven, over 80 games or so, that he's more essential than sullivan and it's not even close
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,588
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 am

Yeah, I really don't understand the argument that Sullivan is any more effective on the power play than Letang. Letang's willingness to drive and shoot places him ahead of Sully, easily. Not to mention the fact that he can actually play defense.

To add: Against the Isles, the 5 forward power play resulted in a shorthanded goal by Josh Bailey. Against the Flyers yesterday, there likely would have been another shorthanded goal, had Sullivan not gotten nailed for a tripping penalty 10 seconds into the power play.

Quite simply, the massive risk Bylsma is taking here doesn't even come close to outweighing the benefit of having Sullivan over Letang (if there is any)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,731
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:29 am

shmenguin wrote:letang has proven, over 80 games or so, that he's more essential than sullivan and it's not even close


they split the atom, they can split Evgeni and Sid on the power play!
:)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,043
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: champeen, FallenHero96, Gabe, GSdrums87, lemieuxReturns, Real Deal Jimmy Neal, Staggy and 25 guests


e-mail