April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: April 1, 2012 Philly v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:30 am

I didn't see the interview, but I think Bylsma said he would use the 5 forward PP unit in the playoffs - I assume he didn't mean exclusively....

I'm sure he'll mix it up some, but I can't see him limiting #58's opportunities that much - we'll see...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 am

Something has to give (or more accurately, someone has to go) to get Crosby on the #1 power play. It's not that it doesn't make sense. It's that you don't agree with their reasoning.

Now, you can argue that Sidney Crosby doesn't belong on the #1 power play, which would preserve the usual 5 man unit from earlier this year. I would say that it's a royal cop-out to not find a way to incorporate the best player in the world onto your #1 power play, given that that's the line that gets the majority of the PP time. Separate units wouldn't work, since you'd be short-shifting one (or both) of the units. To me that's voluntarily tying one of your hands behind your back.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:35 am

As Steve said:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ss-629529/

Coach Dan Bylsma said he intends to switch between five forwards and four plus Letang on the top unit of the power play, at least before the playoffs, which start next week.

"We will continue to see both of those [looks] the next three games and ... [perhaps] in the playoffs as well," Bylsma said.

Wow, you mean that people here are jumping to conclusions about something they don't even understand? I'm frankly shocked.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:46 am

I can't believe, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised - that alot of Flyers fans are really pissed about yesterday's game lol.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 am

Steve wrote:I can't believe, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised - that alot of Flyers fans are really pissed about yesterday's game lol.

Honestly, there are a lot of fans that are reasonable about it too. Geoff Detwiler (writer for Broad Street Hockey on SB Nation) has been the voice of reason over there for quite some time now. I'm seeing a lot of people actually agree with Crosby :shock: that if LaViolette didn't want his guys to get hit, he shouldn't have put them out there.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:50 am

We sent the 5 foot 6 goon and the worst fighter in 4th line history out to rough up Philly's star players. They should be livid
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 am

Three Stars wrote:Wow, you mean that people here are jumping to conclusions about something they don't even understand? I'm frankly shocked.

I wasn't jumping to conclusions, just giving my thoughts with what I heard. This seems fine. I honestly think it's going to be Letang in the playoffs, but we'll see.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:57 am

Nothing against Sullivan mind you, because he has more than earned his keep this year, but with Crosby back and on the #1 power play unit where he belongs, Letang needs to be that #1 unit also. Before Sid came back Sullivan was quoted as saying that Letang was his safety net. Well, without Letang, there is no safety net. This should be a no brainer.

This is not the time to tinker with your lines or the PP or PK units. That's for the pre-season not the pre-playoffs, especially when you are trying to get 1st round home ice. If they aren't broke, don't fix them.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Steve wrote:I can't believe, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised - that alot of Flyers fans are really pissed about yesterday's game lol.

Honestly, there are a lot of fans that are reasonable about it too. Geoff Detwiler (writer for Broad Street Hockey on SB Nation) has been the voice of reason over there for quite some time now. I'm seeing a lot of people actually agree with Crosby :shock: that if LaViolette didn't want his guys to get hit, he shouldn't have put them out there.

Yeah, that's good to know. There were cheap shots (nothing major, mostly of the disrespect variety) going on all day, by both teams. Fans kind of see what they want to see I guess.

I watched the replay of the Vitale hit - the only Flyer who didn't have a problem with it (at least from my view from the living room lol) was Briere. He got up to get back into the play....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45 am

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 am

:pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 am

Is the problem the fact that 5 forwards are out there on the powerplay, or is the problem that those 5 forwards are making stupid plays resulting in odd man rushes?

5 forwards is fine, they just need to manage the puck better
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bab81 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 am

Mr. Colby wrote:Is the problem the fact that 5 forwards are out there on the powerplay, or is the problem that those 5 forwards are making stupid plays resulting in odd man rushes?

When the puck is iced it seems as if all 5 are waiting for someone to dig the puck out of the corner. We waste a good 30-40 seconds every PP on trying to recover the puck while we have 3-4 guys standing between the blue and red line
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 am

Mr. Colby wrote:Is the problem the fact that 5 forwards are out there on the powerplay, or is the problem that those 5 forwards are making stupid plays resulting in odd man rushes?

Largely I think that's my issues with it. Breakaways and odd man rushes are at an unreal level right now.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:12 pm

malkinshair wrote:The only 'positive' I take from this game is the realization that I (living in the 'burgh) won't have to listen to Peeair or Edzo do the games for the 1st round against the Flyers. From Edzo highlighting Jagr's blatant hook on Staal leading to Giroux's goal as a great play to Peeair actually referring to a player that cheap-shots the best player in the world with an unnecessary cross-check (who happens to be coming back from multiple concussions) as a great 'character' player, they've shown nothing but contempt for the Pen's organization. I can't come up with any other explanation. It's embarrassing for NBC, and the entire NHL.

It's obvious they both have an axe to grind with the organ-i-zation that sent each of them packing because they couldn't get the job done. Such astute hockey men.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bab81 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 pm

pugilist13 wrote:
malkinshair wrote:The only 'positive' I take from this game is the realization that I (living in the 'burgh) won't have to listen to Peeair or Edzo do the games for the 1st round against the Flyers. From Edzo highlighting Jagr's blatant hook on Staal leading to Giroux's goal as a great play to Peeair actually referring to a player that cheap-shots the best player in the world with an unnecessary cross-check (who happens to be coming back from multiple concussions) as a great 'character' player, they've shown nothing but contempt for the Pen's organization. I can't come up with any other explanation. It's embarrassing for NBC, and the entire NHL.

It's obvious they both have an axe to grind with the organ-i-zation that sent each of them packing because they couldn't get the job done. Such astute hockey men.

Edzo definitely. I've noticed Pierre just chooses the winning team and praises everything 2-3 players do.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins