Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:27 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
profpolisci wrote:One who didn't know anything about hockey would suppose there would be a lot of players from Iceland.

How come there are no players from Iceland?


Because iceland is green, and Greenland is icy.


no its because greenland is covered with ice, and iceland is very nice.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,509
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby mikey287 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:29 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
profpolisci wrote:One who didn't know anything about hockey would suppose there would be a lot of players from Iceland.

How come there are no players from Iceland?


It is not a popular sport in Iceland really, the population doesn't embrace it...they have a national team at last check but when Nikolai Antropov can score 26 points in one game on it, you know you have some bugs to work out...but it's very unpopular there vs. muscle-related activities plus soccer and handball...


You mean Kazakhstan put up 26+ goals on Iceland?


I believe it was 81-0, IIRC...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,501
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby mikey287 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:30 pm

columbia wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:
profpolisci wrote:One who didn't know anything about hockey would suppose there would be a lot of players from Iceland.

How come there are no players from Iceland?


Because iceland is green, and Greenland is icy.


I've been to Iceland and there was plenty of ice. :slug:


Is that a fact? (the first part, of course) How was that, Iceland looks like a fascinating place to me for some reason...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,501
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:35 pm

mikey287 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
profpolisci wrote:One who didn't know anything about hockey would suppose there would be a lot of players from Iceland.

How come there are no players from Iceland?


It is not a popular sport in Iceland really, the population doesn't embrace it...they have a national team at last check but when Nikolai Antropov can score 26 points in one game on it, you know you have some bugs to work out...but it's very unpopular there vs. muscle-related activities plus soccer and handball...


You mean Kazakhstan put up 26+ goals on Iceland?


I believe it was 81-0, IIRC...


I just Googled... it was 63-0.

Dear Lord. Borat's got some nice hands?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,919
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby mikey287 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
profpolisci wrote:One who didn't know anything about hockey would suppose there would be a lot of players from Iceland.

How come there are no players from Iceland?


It is not a popular sport in Iceland really, the population doesn't embrace it...they have a national team at last check but when Nikolai Antropov can score 26 points in one game on it, you know you have some bugs to work out...but it's very unpopular there vs. muscle-related activities plus soccer and handball...


You mean Kazakhstan put up 26+ goals on Iceland?


I believe it was 81-0, IIRC...


I just Googled... it was 63-0.

Dear Lord. Borat's got some nice hands?


Yeah, 63, good call. I never can quite remember the score of that game. It could have been worse, some years ago South Korea beat another country (New Zealand?) 92-0...that's an IIHF record. I would have loved to see that game...like, how do you score goal 92 whoever did it, ya know? Like, how do you put that puck in the net...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,501
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby PghSkins on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:37 pm

profpolisci wrote:One who didn't know anything about hockey Iceland would suppose there would be a lot of players from Iceland.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,820
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Mighty Ducks lead us astray on that one. Damn you Disney.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,676
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Icelanders don't play hockey because they're all playing in a band.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby JS© on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am

canaan wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:
canaan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I'm suprised there was no one born in Africa.

racist

seriously wtf

i was joking.

Nigerian-born Akim Aliu recalled by Calgary today.

http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/146184365.html

Now who's racist? :)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,775
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Incident with Steve Downie

Early in the 2005–06 OHL season, Aliu was involved in an on-ice altercation with then teammate Steve Downie during a practice. Aliu and Downie fought during a practice that took place on September 28 after Downie hit Aliu with a vicious blindsiding crosscheck to the mouth, knocking out three of Aliu's teeth.[5] The incident stemmed from the then 16-year-old Aliu's refusal to take part in a hazing incident, which involved rookies being forced to stand naked in a cramped bus bathroom. The team suspended Downie for five games and Aliu for one. Following the incident, Downie was told to undergo professional counseling. Head coach Moe Mantha, Jr. was suspended by the OHL and later fired by the team, and the team was fined $35,000 by the OHL.[6] Downie was subsequently traded to the Kitchener Rangers, and Aliu to the Sudbury Wolves.


:shock:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,348
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby PghSkins on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Gaucho wrote:Icelanders don't play hockey because they're all playing in a band. Bjork
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,820
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: Map of the birthplace of every current NHL player

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:50 pm

columbia wrote:
Incident with Steve Downie

Early in the 2005–06 OHL season, Aliu was involved in an on-ice altercation with then teammate Steve Downie during a practice. Aliu and Downie fought during a practice that took place on September 28 after Downie hit Aliu with a vicious blindsiding crosscheck to the mouth, knocking out three of Aliu's teeth.[5] The incident stemmed from the then 16-year-old Aliu's refusal to take part in a hazing incident, which involved rookies being forced to stand naked in a cramped bus bathroom. The team suspended Downie for five games and Aliu for one. Following the incident, Downie was told to undergo professional counseling. Head coach Moe Mantha, Jr. was suspended by the OHL and later fired by the team, and the team was fined $35,000 by the OHL.[6] Downie was subsequently traded to the Kitchener Rangers, and Aliu to the Sudbury Wolves.


:shock:

Downie is pure class.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Previous

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SolidSnake and 2 guests


e-mail