Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip'

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip'

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am

http://news.yahoo.com/minnesota-waitres ... ories.html

Crazy story. Sucks that she did the right thing and this happened.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip'

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 am

Moral of the story, never do the right thing.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:46 am

The all-powerful state comes down on the side of... the state.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 am

Police argue that the money had a strong odor of marijuana and therefore falls under a law that allows for forfeiture of the money because it was in the proximity of a controlled substance, the lawsuit states. But there were no drugs in the box and Richie said he believes this law is not being used correctly.

Forfeiture laws are ridiculous. Some of the stories are utterly ridiculous.

Also, was it really the "right thing" to turn the money over? She had no legal responsibility to do so -- it was a gift at the point the women said "keep it." As long as she isn't knowingly receiving illegally obtained money, I doubt any criminal charged could be pressed. Who knows what the labyrinth of laws says though.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Moral of the story, never do the right thing.

That's really the only thing I got out of it. It's a shame she did the right thing. Wouldn't be surprised to find out the money was spent on the force.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

Malkamaniac wrote:

That's really the only thing I got out of it. It's a shame she did the right thing. Wouldn't be surprised to find out the money was spent on the force.

It DEFINITELY will be. Google forfeiture laws, probably cause. The law essentially allows police to seize things that they have probably cause to believe was illegally obtained. The end. And it stays with those that seized it -- talk about a conflict of interest! Even if you are acquitted of the crime that the seized items were used as evidence in, the police can, in many cases, keep the stuff.

She'll lose the suit.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:51 am

Then they wonder why the world hates authority figures. The people that do actually trust them end up getting burned.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:54 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Then they wonder why the world hates authority figures. The people that do actually trust them end up getting burned.

Dude, they're just trying to do their job. Dude, you just don't understand. Dude, they didn't ask for this. Dude, it's just not like that. Dude, you have no idea what goes on. Dude, if you knew what it was like, you'd act the same way. #30MoreNonSequitorsThatJustifyNothing.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

More to the point of money. I used to at various jobs when I found money turn it in to the boss or lost and found. However I soon found out that they either A. kept it or B. I was told that if no one claimed it within 2 weeks it was mine only to be told the company policy is to put found money in with money turned into the company so I couldn't get the money and it went straight to "the man." Now anytime I find money laying around either where I work or if it's just in daily life I keep it (If it's in a wallet with ID I'll mail it to the person, I did this with a wallet and cell phone I found before), doing the right thing does nothing in these cases.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 pm

pigs

Reminds me of when I was told the car I was driving smelled like Marijuana at a DUI checkpoint. I had just smoked a cigarette and was listening to loud music with my seat back in a bad neighborhood... I was harassed told to get out of the car, slammed into the hood of my car and commanded to sit on the curb in the freezing cold for an hour while they searched the car.... THEY DIDN'T FIND **** but they stole a pocket knife...
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby pfim on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Yeah, not sure why she called the police? She chased the woman out, woman said it's hers. Makes no sense.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 pm

It pays to not do the right thing. Literally.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm

You tried and you failed miserably. The lesson learned is never try.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
Police argue that the money had a strong odor of marijuana and therefore falls under a law that allows for forfeiture of the money because it was in the proximity of a controlled substance, the lawsuit states. But there were no drugs in the box and Richie said he believes this law is not being used correctly.

Forfeiture laws are ridiculous. Some of the stories are utterly ridiculous.

Also, was it really the "right thing" to turn the money over? She had no legal responsibility to do so -- it was a gift at the point the women said "keep it." As long as she isn't knowingly receiving illegally obtained money, I doubt any criminal charged could be pressed. Who knows what the labyrinth of laws says though.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-14/heal ... =PM:HEALTH

According to this 2009 article, 90% of $1 bills contain trace amounts of cocaine. Does this mean the police are gonna ask me to surrender 9 out of every 10 dollars because of contact with a controlled substance?

Yes, it's a dumb example, but is A really much different than B?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm

pfim wrote:Yeah, not sure why she called the police? She chased the woman out, woman said it's hers. Makes no sense.

The fear is that it turns into one of those awful movie premises when you find money and it turns out it's a drug dealer and the drug dealer tries to kill you.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Just like anywhere else, there are some absolutely great cops, and there are some aholes.

And just like anywhere else, they do some things that make absolutely no sense, there are some things they do that inconvienence people, but in the grand scheme of things, it's worth it, and then they do some amazing things.

I don't like to lump them all into one category.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Godric wrote:pigs

Reminds me of when I was told the car I was driving smelled like Marijuana at a DUI checkpoint. I had just smoked a cigarette and was listening to loud music with my seat back in a bad neighborhood... I was harassed told to get out of the car, slammed into the hood of my car and commanded to sit on the curb in the freezing cold for an hour while they searched the car.... THEY DIDN'T FIND **** but they stole a pocket knife...

:lol: Were you wearing a sweatshirt with the hoodie up?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:43 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Best part of that story is he had 3 kilos of cocaine hidden in the car and they didn't find it during the hour long search.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:46 pm

newarenanow wrote:

:lol:

I was in shorts and a t-shirt... it was the first really cold night of November .... I am clearly a white kid
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Best part of that story is he had 3 kilos of cocaine hidden in the car and they didn't find it during the hour long search.

I also like the description, young guy, driving through a bad neighborhood, jamming to loud music pimping back in his car seat. To me, I'd probably be a little suspicious too if I thought I smelled weed as that is a typical profile. Unfair? yes.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Spoiler:

:pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Godric wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I was in shorts and a t-shirt... it was the first really cold night of November .... I am clearly a white kid

:D We should get the LGP community to go down to the arena wearing tshirts and shorts in Novemeber and ask if we looked like we were smoking weed. And have signs saying free Godric.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:19 pm

"I am Godric"
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

newarenanow wrote: :D We should get the LGP community to go down to the arena wearing tshirts and shorts in Novemeber and ask if we looked like we were smoking weed. And have signs saying free Godric.

rofl
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to NHR