4/11/2012 Flyers v. Pens Game 1- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 4/11/2012 Flyers v. Pens Game 1- Official Game Thread

Postby GDR on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 pm

mac5155 wrote:We were down 2-0 against the Caps and won. We were down 2-0 against the RedWings and won.

That team had a defensive identity led by Gill and Scuds. This team doesn't.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Gabe wrote:The Flyers wanted it more.
The same lazy play from the same lazy half dozen guys ended the game for us tonight.
Time to regroup, recommit to their game and let this one go.

I'm not sure it's laziness or Bylsma getting outsmarted. I think it's the fact that our defense is extremely soft and just like Milbury and Jones said, Flyers were banging these guys around and getting the pucks. I believe it's a roster issue where two guys we signed for a lot of money are small and afraid of physical contact. We looked like a swarm of locusts in the first, but once we let up a bit and allowed Flyers to play their game in our zone from about the halfway point in the 3rd, it just ooked like it was only a matter of time before they scored. Our forwards also reverted to playing on the outside and most shots we fired from that point on had no chance of going in on Bryzgalov. An absolutely disgusting performance toward the end. Shero has to address our issues on defense in the off-season.

It's not just the defense. Forward help is nonexistant because they're too busyl drooling over the next break up ice to play smart hockey. But yeah, they need some better players back there.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

KG wrote:The Pens loss isn't as bad as this dude singing the star spangled banner at the canucks game....ugh....

Holy cow was that terrible. Not as bad as the hair on the guy singing O Canada though.
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby duke66 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

mac5155 wrote:When will people realize that the playoffs are peaks and valleys? Period one was a peak. We are now in a valley. We were down 2-0 against the Caps and won. We were down 2-0 against the RedWings and won. There are reasons the playoffs are 7 games and not 1,3, or 5.

Off to NHR. It's been fun. See you all Friday

this sums it up nicely. crummy game after such an amazing first period, but they'll regroup. no sense in panicking after one game.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby rgj on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Flyers in 4. The Pens haven't shown me they can play a full game against anyone for the past three years. If they cannot, then they need to dump some of this pretty boy "talent" and find some bums that can. I think the Pens are highly overrated.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bigkam on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

I am just beyond shocked at how well we came out, and then just went completely flat. Where did the hitting go? Where did the cycle go? Where did the energy go? Hard to believe with the veterans on this team we could allow a flatline of this caliber in the playoffs. Gonna be sick until Friday.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Yeah, I'm really starting to think that Philly just has our number. There was no panic to their game, and, if not for MAF, we lose this game in regulation. They have a team that can capitalize on our mistakes...and our team refuses to adjust their game to eliminate/limit our mistakes.

Series isn't over, and I still think the Pens should win, but they need to bring their 'A' game. We haven't seen that for about 3 weeks or so, so they'd better find it quick.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Gabe wrote:The Flyers wanted it more.
The same lazy play from the same lazy half dozen guys ended the game for us tonight.
Time to regroup, recommit to their game and let this one go.

I'm not sure it's laziness or Bylsma getting outsmarted. I think it's the fact that our defense is extremely soft and just like Milbury and Jones said, Flyers were banging these guys around and getting the pucks. I believe it's a roster issue where two guys we signed for a lot of money are small and afraid of physical contact. We looked like a swarm of locusts in the first, but once we let up a bit and allowed Flyers to play their game in our zone from about the halfway point in the 3rd, it just ooked like it was only a matter of time before they scored. Our forwards also reverted to playing on the outside and most shots we fired from that point on had no chance of going in on Bryzgalov. An absolutely disgusting performance toward the end. Shero has to address our issues on defense in the off-season.

I agree with the Shero assessment. The entire makeup of our defensemen outside of DE and Orpik is to move the puck up the ice, not to sustain lengthy pressure in the zone. Our D during the cup was much more balanced with Hal Gill and Scuderi. To correct for this, the wingers need to stick on the pointmen when the D has the puck deep in their own zone so when the D makes a desperate clearing attempt up the boards, the wingers can win the puck battle. Right now the wingers are waiting for an outlet pass that is never coming due to the Flyer's pressure. That is how they are coached so they are not doing it wrong, DB needs to make the adjustment.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HockeyDaddy on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

canaan wrote:Ill wait for more than one game to pass brimstonian judgment on people like some here. They played a good 25 minutes, got boned on an offsides call, and let a win slip away. On to Friday

That missed off-sides completely swung the momentum to the orange. If that call is made, this post-game frustration doesn't exist.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

mac5155 wrote:When will people realize that the playoffs are peaks and valleys? Period one was a peak. We are now in a valley. We were down 2-0 against the Caps and won. We were down 2-0 against the RedWings and won. There are reasons the playoffs are 7 games and not 1,3, or 5.

this is a symptomatic loss. this isn't varlamov pulling a horseshoe out of his butt or being stifled by an epic red wing defensive effort. concern is very, very warranted. this wasn't even just a typical collapse. we got mind f'd in the process. i've never seen such a collection of headcases as i saw from 3-2 onward.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:45 pm

you are correct. last 4 series, whoever won game 1 lost... I think... still doesn't make me feel any better. Good thing I built a 2 foot bridge in the back yard, it's like therapy, must go jump, keep it real
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jwit on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Part of the problem is just arrogance. The flyers turned up the obstruction and tripping in their own zone after going down 3-0. No way they were getting a penalty there. The pens were being grabbed, tripped etc. Ok, then play to the level thats being called. The pens think obstruciton is beneath them and they don't have to resort to it. They lose. Watch the flyer goals, guys skating free all over the zone. We also lost the ability to break out of our own zone about halfway through the game. Never adjusted to the flyers pinch downs.

Really bad loss. I'm afraid arrogance and mindset will be the undoing of this team. Also, philly is in better shape. They just keep coming. We start standing around.
jwit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby spiritfan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Why panic?... cause everybody knew the Flyers can comeback and the Pens did nothing to stop it... damn if Jordan coulda just hit the post a bit inside and then Pens fans would be calling for a sweep
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Pretty sure we're going to get swept.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:46 pm

There isn't much left to say. This one hurts but luckily, it only counts as one. Pens in 5.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:46 pm

GDR wrote:
mac5155 wrote:We were down 2-0 against the Caps and won. We were down 2-0 against the RedWings and won.

22 goals in 7 games is not a "defensive identity"
17 goals in 7 games.. approaching borderline "defensive identity"

Scoring wins championships. Pens are capable of outscoring anyone. They need to outscore everyone.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 pm

PghSkins wrote:1-4 in playoffs at CEC. That better change soon.

Wow, didn't realize it was that bad. Guess we should play NOT to get home ice. Go for eighth seed seeems right.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The U on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Philly only had one PP but still managed 4 goals. Thats probably the last time they'll finish a game with only one PP.

Bylsma stopped rolling 4 lines. I dont think Asham played in the 3rd. If u dont trust those guys then maybe Park dresses at some point.

Malkin, Crosby, Neal, etc...on the roster and you play prevent defense and ditch the offense after period one. Not really utilizing those guys if u stop playing offense.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 pm

I expect Malkin to have a big game in game 2.

He needs to step it up. That entire 1st line needs to score basically every game in the playoffs....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ranci on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:48 pm

mac5155 wrote:
GDR wrote:

22 goals in 7 games is not a "defensive identity"
17 goals in 7 games.. approaching borderline "defensive identity"

Scoring wins championships. Pens are capable of outscoring anyone. They need to outscore everyone.

this is hilarious considering our own coach neutered our ability to outscore the opponent after the first period.
ranci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Fleury didn't lose the game. He just made it almost impossible for the Penguins to win it.

Postby ranci on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:49 pm

zomg you guys im scared hey one of you forwards stay back to make me feel less scared please

lololololololol
ranci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Fleury didn't lose the game. He just made it almost impossible for the Penguins to win it.

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:49 pm

duke66 wrote:

this sums it up nicely. crummy game after such an amazing first period, but they'll regroup. no sense in panicking after one game.

Disagree. This game played out exactly like nearly every game in the season series except the last one. That is NOT a good sign. Pens need to get their heads out of their butts and figure out how to beat this team.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:49 pm

My blood pressure has gone back down, but man, I really hope this serves as a wake up call for everyone. They've been pulling this gig for weeks now; it's got to stop. This has nothing to do with gameplan or lineup adjustments. It's all about mentality. They need their killer instinct to kick in when it really matters, and not exclusive to the first period.

I know a lot of people are all "step off the ledge", but this is becoming habit for this squad.

On to Friday; Go Pens.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:49 pm

rgj wrote:Flyers in 4. The Pens haven't shown me they can play a full game against anyone for the past three years. If they cannot, then they need to dump some of this pretty boy "talent" and find some bums that can. I think the Pens are highly overrated.

My favorite post ever
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Home ice in the playoffs is so overrated....

Pens are better off playing on the road. They won't be so cute on the power play...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins