Weber Slams Zetterberg's head in the Glass

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Weber Slams Zetterberg's head in the Glass

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:52 pm

The way Detroit gets constantly both screwed over and protected proves that the league is far more stupid than they are conspirators.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm

My opinions in NPR show that I would make an excellent league official. :pop:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:35 pm

...and let this start. At least its not the Pens this time.

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:43 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:37 pm

At first I was thinking a suspension was warranted, but after watching it a few times, I don't think weber put much into it. Kind of ambivalent at this point (and yes I hate Detroit).
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm

I just saw this play for the first time....this was horrible. It reminded me of the old wrestling days when they would slam their head into the turnbuckle...

Really dirty play. I can't believe Shanny didn't suspend him.

That's because it's the playoffs and dirtiness is allowed!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:57 pm

JS© wrote:Image

I still fail to see how that cracked his helmet. It just looks so innocent lol
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Streaks House on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:59 pm

KG wrote:That's because it's the playoffs and dirtiness is allowed!

Unless you are Byron Bitz. 2 games.

Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 pm

If a Penguin does that to a Flyer, does anyone want him suspended? When Gary Roberts turned around and punched Franzen to the face(who didn't have the puck either) after Franzen had just returned from a concussion in the playoffs, LGP was loving it.

Sort of like Franzen, Zetterberg sold this fairly well and it looks worse in slo-mo than it did in live action. If Z's helmet broke, he needs to change manufacturers too.

I didn't DVR this game but was watching it post-Pens/Flyers. Right before this happened and after a faceoff, a Wing slew-footed a Pred rather blatantly along the boards and then there was another faceoff with just a few seconds left. I don't know the Wing who did the slew-footing that caused a Pred to go skates over head, but I wouldn't be surprised if either Zetterberg or Weber was involved in that. Weber doesn't just go after people like that for the helluva of it.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 pm

I like the $2,500 fine....Weber makes like $8mill a year....what's the point??? that's really not a deterrent....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Streaks House wrote:
KG wrote:That's because it's the playoffs and dirtiness is allowed!

Unless you are Byron Bitz. 2 games.

I'll re-phrase...it's allowed if you're Shea Weber!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Streaks House on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 pm

As the season has progressed, I am more convinced that Shanny's hands are tied, because some of the GMs don't want suspensions.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 pm

brwi wrote:If a Penguin does that to a Flyer, does anyone want him suspended? When Gary Roberts turned around and punched Franzen to the face(who didn't have the puck either) after Franzen had just returned from a concussion in the playoffs, LGP was loving it.

Sort of like Franzen, Zetterberg sold this fairly well and it looks worse in slo-mo than it did in live action. If Z's helmet broke, he needs to change manufacturers too.

I didn't DVR this game but was watching it post-Pens/Flyers. Right before this happened and after a faceoff, a Wing slew-footed a Pred rather blatantly along the boards and then there was another faceoff with just a few seconds left. I don't know the Wing who did the slew-footing that caused a Pred to go skates over head, but I wouldn't be surprised if either Zetterberg or Weber was involved in that. Weber doesn't just go after people like that for the helluva of it.

I wouldn't want it but I would be expecting it, just because the league should send a message that plays like that aren't tolerated.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 pm

I actually don't mind the lack of suspension. Weber is an integral part of the outcome of the series, and I support the league trying to keep him on the ice. Sure Tootoo would have got multiple games for the same play, but it is what it is.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by you guys, but honestly I'm glad they call it like that. You want to discipline guys, but you want to try to affect the game play as little as possible. That's why in the playoffs a big time player will never get more than a 1 game suspension unless he keeps playing dirty. That's how it should be.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:I actually don't mind the lack of suspension. Weber is an integral part of the outcome of the series, and I support the league trying to keep him on the ice. Sure Tootoo would have got multiple games for the same play, but it is what it is.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by you guys, but honestly I'm glad they call it like that. You want to discipline guys, but you want to try to affect the game play as little as possible. That's why in the playoffs a big time player will never get more than a 1 game suspension unless he keeps playing dirty. That's how it should be.

What the....??
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penscup on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:20 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Meh. Punching Zetts in the head would have hurt him much worse than a WWF move. Zetts sold it too. It's whatever. Not going to take a star out of the game on a play where there was honestly minimal risk of injury. (Go ahead, flip out about how dangerous this is just like many of you did when I said there was no risk of the Lavy stick whack causing injury and you responded that he could have killed 12 children).

Are you insane?!?

He first attempted to perform a roundhouse punch from behind on the back of Zetterberg's head, then when that failed he basically took his head with both hands and slammed it into the glass (again from behind) and you people think it's no big deal??? You think Zetterberg was "selling" it?
UNBELIEVABLE.

Do you truly want someone doing that to Crosby's head and NOT getting a suspension for it???

Like I said, unbelievable that there was no suspension for this and that there are Pens fans here no less that are okay with it.

Shanahan is officially a total joke after this decision. This was his easiest ruling of the year and he totally flubbed it.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 pm

penscup wrote:Shanahan is officially a total joke after this decision. This was his easiest ruling of the year and he totally flubbed it.

There are "other" factors that could be influencing Shanahan's decision making.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:30 am

For all the people who say "You can't judge intent", here's the perfect example of intent to injure.

Swing and a miss.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:41 am

That looks extremely violent in this view here, in real-time motion. Honestly, this warrants a minimum of 10 games in the regular season or an entire round during playoffs. Weber shouldn't be playing until next series and I agree with whoever said earlier that Shanny's hands must be tied by those above him. If that is Cooke or a similar player, they're gone, but they obviously don't want to suspend a crucial name like Weber.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:37 am

Mr. Colby wrote:I actually don't mind the lack of suspension. Weber is an integral part of the outcome of the series, and I support the league trying to keep him on the ice. Sure Tootoo would have got multiple games for the same play, but it is what it is.

This is why the NHLPA is effed up. Protect the aggressor. You do realize that Zetterberg is an integral part of the outcome of the series as well, right? We've seen dozens of instances where the player plays the rest of the game and then is out for weeks/months once the symptoms start rolling in.

Should Letang or Crosby be allowed to take a blatant chop at Grioux's wrist and get off with 2500?

Amazes me how much blood lust some sports fans have.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 am

I think this looks way worse than it was. No way Z's helmet fractured from that. Those helmets take WAY bigger slams into the boards/glass and are ok. Weber missed with the punch and the pushing the head into the glass wasn't as bad as it first looked. Sure it looked terrible and violent at first glance, but after looking at it a few times, Weber sold it and then Z sold it. Still unacceptable in my eyes, but not as bad as first impression.

That said, the NHL cannot tolerate an action where a player feels there needs to be some sort of revenge or punishment. That was clear intent to hurt/punish Zetterberg. The NHL is a joke because they think players should police themselves and dole out their own justice. These guys play a sport where the object is to get a little rubber disk into a net. If they can't come up with rules that referee's can use to control a game... what the hell good are the rules/refs.

I just hate that in hockey, as often as I watch; sometimes I still don't know what the actual rules are. I know what obstruction is. I've seen videos where refs show what it is. Supposedly it is a penalty but it happens every shift of every game. And I also know that the rules change depending on the game. Playoffs are different than regular season. If a team is getting blown out, they don't get any penalties called against them. I love playing the game, but watching it is getting less and less enjoyable for me. I just feel like that there are no rules, or that the rules don't really matter. They're just there to keep the games close and to control the flow of the game.

Tangent aside, Shanny blew it. Weber needed at least a game off to show that this behavior is unacceptable.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 am

First time I'm seeing this... did Z get that elbow up when he hit Weber in the back?
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pfim on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:27 am

Intent to injure doesn't get any clearer than this.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:34 am

Pitt87 wrote:First time I'm seeing this... did Z get that elbow up when he hit Weber in the back?

No, Z bumped him from behind a bit and I guess Weber thought it was unnecessary so he tried to decapitate him.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:34 am

Torts says mean things, fined $20,000.

Weber slams Zetterberg's head into the glass, fined $2,500.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NPR