Official GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs. Flyers - 4/13/2012

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs. Flyers - 4/13/2012

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 pm

ive never seen a bigger letdown of a team in my life what a pathetic joke

will not be watching sunday thank god
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 pm

It ain't Oprah til it's Oprah.

Go Pens.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwit on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 pm

This is not complicated.
DESIRE AND MINDSET.

Evwey time the pens have a chance, the play ends,either with a goalie save or puck leaving the zone, the pens have two guys knocked on their ass and one tied up or with his face in the glass. Anybody seen that in our zone ?? Other than brooks, nobody hits. THe flyers turn their back on the pens defender and protect the puck, then they can skate behind the net, circle in front, all the way across the front between the circles and nobody hits them. Remember when they used to call that the dirty area?? NObody takes the man. Bunch of guys waving at the puck with their sticks and forwards fleeing the zone hoping for a breakout.

Its that simple. They are knocking us down, holding and doing everything allowable, and we think we're too talented to resort to that.

They are also in way, way better shape than our guys. To a man. Its over, Johnny
jwit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bigkam on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 pm

I know that our team defense is taking a beating after this debacle, but I will also add that Bryzgalov has outplayed Fleury as well. MAF hasn't been bad, but Bryzgalov has made far more big saves in this series thus far. If the Pens have any chance, he is going to have to be stellar.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 pm

KG wrote:
Pitts wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I kind of saw this coming, the way the team played when Sid came back. I don't know what changed, but it sure is disappointing. There's just no compete level in their own zone. I just don't get it.

Geno stops scoring when Sid is playing. I'm telling you, the "2 headed monster", it is not.

The defense of this team needs blown-up and re-made in the off season. They could also use a more defensive system to settle the games down.

Agreed....Sid/Malkin don't both bring their A game at the same time. And Staal forget about him. When Malkin and Crosby are both playing he is fine doing his Michael Handzus impersonation.

If Shero is smart he trades him for a younger better version, like Toews. O wait we could have had him
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Is the Conn Smyth out of Fleury's reach now?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 68forever on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 pm

jimreb wrote:
68forever wrote:I think we are all forgetting something here: Shero only gauraneeted the Pens would make the playoffs not make it past the first round let alone to the cup. So he and the team have done their part as far as that goes.

I have to live here in the middle of the state where it is split between pens fans and flyers fans just think of the torture I am going to have to endure if the flyers win the series. Sunday is already going to be hell having to hear all about the flyers being up 2-0 and on the road before we see if the pens decide to play or not.

imagine living outside Philly

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM No Thanks that just hurts to think of :wink:
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 pm

At this point, I would gladly put Depres in over Martin. Dude is just a wreck out there.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 pm

bhaw wrote:
BigGimp77 wrote:We score 5 goals and people are complaining that Geno and Sid aren't scoring enough...

What?

Pretty much. If you score 5 in the playoffs, it should be a blowout in your favor.

There's no one person responsible for any of this, despite everyone trying to pin all the blame on their target of hate. The team all around just has something mentally wrong with them. It goes from the coaches through the players. There was something wrong with everyone.

This team hasn't been the same in the playoffs since that game 7 blowout by the Habs. Haven't won in a must-win playoff game since.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 pm

The U wrote:Bourdon goes down and Philly plugs in deadline acquisition in Kubina. Niskanen gets hurt and we have 3 AHLers to choose from to take his spot. Glad we kept that 3rd pick though, that guy will be a great help for our 2017 cup run.

I agree with you. RS is not above criticism at this point. He can win a cup with CP draft picks and smart trades, but he hasn't shown anything since that point. I hope that he can find a decent coach for this team or he might be gone in a season or two if this continues.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Guinness wrote:Most of you people are emotionally unstable. I feel for whomever you're in a relationship with.

*sips coffee*

lol Guinness.

Well it's true. My wife, after catching me drunk at a strip club, would be more reasonable than 90% of the people posting in this thread right now.

And she's nuts.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Rocco wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
Rocco wrote:Hey, remember when Malkin and Neal were tearing it up against overmatched defenses? That was awesome.

There is no point criticizing either. Philly has been abusing them. We just can't compete physically with them.

Sorry, but a Conn Smythe winner and a guy who ripped it up in a contract year are never immune from criticism.

I'm not going to disagree with you there. My point was that Philly has brought a level of physical play that this team is just not built to survive. Malkin and Neal have been given zero space. Shero wanted to go small and fast this year and now we are paying for it. They are wearing our asses down and we can't match it. The play of our 9 million dollar "shut down" pair and our 7 million dollar goaltender hasn't helped either.

I think there will be some changes this summer. This team, as it stands, might have been a championship team in 2008 but it won't survive the brute force of Philly in 2012 and it probably wouldn't have survived NY either. Time to retool.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NeddieVedder on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

pens#1 wrote:
KG wrote:
Pitts wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I kind of saw this coming, the way the team played when Sid came back. I don't know what changed, but it sure is disappointing. There's just no compete level in their own zone. I just don't get it.

Geno stops scoring when Sid is playing. I'm telling you, the "2 headed monster", it is not.

The defense of this team needs blown-up and re-made in the off season. They could also use a more defensive system to settle the games down.

Agreed....Sid/Malkin don't both bring their A game at the same time. And Staal forget about him. When Malkin and Crosby are both playing he is fine doing his Michael Handzus impersonation.

If Shero is smart he trades him for a younger better version, like Toews. O wait we could have had him

Ahaha every ***** from the last 5 years is on the table now. Why dress Laraque instead of Petrovicky
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm sick of this "we need to get to our game" crap. The only game the Pens will be getting to is their golf game. RS needs to get to his game and reconfigure this team, starting by building a new defense.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mariojr on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Really the Pens need put out of their misery. Get swept, get it over with and start making changes for next season immeadiately.

I don't think anyone really wants to talk about the changes that are going to be due.

Start with the head coach.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm

mariojr wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Really the Pens need put out of their misery. Get swept, get it over with and start making changes for next season immeadiately.

I don't think anyone really wants to talk about the changes that are going to be due.

Start with the head coach.

If the Pens are swept, DB will be the first to go.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm

There's no reason to believe they're going to get back to their game. They've been away from their game for weeks. It started in that OT loss to Philly and nothing has changed it. Not an embarrassing 8-4 loss to Ottawa. Not back-to-back embarrassing losses to the Islanders that blew their chance at the top seed and avoiding this dreaded series, at least early in the playoffs. Not another blown lead loss to Philly. Not another blown lead loss to Philly, this time in the playoffs. If they haven't gotten it now, they're not going to get it.

Philly is legit. They can't be put away. They have great offensive depth, they have an excellent PP, they can get under other team's skin. The only thing that's going to hold them back is Bryzgalov. What's most impressive to me is the way they can adjust. They can adjust to a team's tendencies when they're down. When they get a lead, they can adjust and play shutdown D. That's what the Pens can't do. The Pens get up by a few and continue to play run and gun hockey. They let Philly get behind their D. They make lazy attempts to get pucks out of the D zone. They make critical errors. Philly doesn't do that. Philly is poised, confident, and aggressive. I hate that I'm even singing their praises but it's true.

I also hate to say it, but these Pens are Capitals-esque. They lost their edge after the Cup win. They don't do the little things you need to do to win. Sure, they've got a lot of talent, and sure, they can score. But they just don't have the hunger they used to have. Sad but true.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm

bhaw wrote:[And why was Lovejoy allowed to play another minute after that give away? And then have Sullivan as the last guy back when down 1? Has he not blown enough plays on defense (he's not a defenseman, so it's logical that he can't play D very well) to show he shouldn't be back there?

This is my question. It was Lovejoy covering Jagr on his goal too.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Tico Rick wrote:I'm sick of this "we need to get to our game" crap. The only game the Pens will be getting to is their golf game. RS needs to get to his game and reconfigure this team, starting by building a new defense.

this! Thank you! What game are we trying to get?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mariojr on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Tico Rick wrote:I'm sick of this "we need to get to our game" crap. The only game the Pens will be getting to is their golf game. RS needs to get to his game and reconfigure this team, starting by building a new defense.

Isn't Martin signed for three more years, though? No team's gonna want him in a trade.

I say, let's have Strait, Despres, Bortuzzo, and maybe Sneep on the roster ASAP. Morrow soon after that. I'd be willing to lose Brooks Orpik to make room. Niskanen's gone anyway. Lovejoy's been a joke so far this series and maybe that's what he is. Michalek as well.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Flyers PK had more odd-man rushes than we had tonight.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm

PHILLY is A BETTER TEAM, a TEAM! We need to adjust and play a better and more responsible D,all of the players! Some guys are right - after Sid comeback,this team' D play stopped. Geno's line was worse.. PP got worse..
And play with more heart as we do at the moment! Flyers are playing smart hockey and Their's coach won vs Blysma big time..
Philly could win the cup as they are,if there were also JVR,Pronger and Mezsaros,man o man,they would be favourites no.1 right now to go all
the way..
As for us,I expect one or two wins,but that it- season over! We are turning into the Capitals,or we are like them..
Next season i want new coach,MArtin,Michalek and Lovejoy replaced with new D-mans..Letang also must play better D as well!
Last edited by Pens4Life on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Henry Hank wrote:There's no reason to believe they're going to get back to their game. They've been away from their game for weeks. It started in that OT loss to Philly and nothing has changed it. Not an embarrassing 8-4 loss to Ottawa. Not back-to-back embarrassing losses to the Islanders that blew their chance at the top seed and avoiding this dreaded series, at least early in the playoffs. Not another blown lead loss to Philly. Not another blown lead loss to Philly, this time in the playoffs. If they haven't gotten it now, they're not going to get it.

Philly is legit. They can't be put away. They have great offensive depth, they have an excellent PP, they can get under other team's skin. The only thing that's going to hold them back is Bryzgalov. What's most impressive to me is the way they can adjust. They can adjust to a team's tendencies when they're down. When they get a lead, they can adjust and play shutdown D. That's what the Pens can't do. The Pens get up by a few and continue to play run and gun hockey. They let Philly get behind their D. They make lazy attempts to get pucks out of the D zone. They make critical errors. Philly doesn't do that. Philly is poised, confident, and aggressive. I hate that I'm even singing their praises but it's true.

I also hate to say it, but these Pens are Capitals-esque. They lost their edge after the Cup win. They don't do the little things you need to do to win. Sure, they've got a lot of talent, and sure, they can score. But they just don't have the hunger they used to have. Sad but true.

I agree 100%.

Crosby simply doesn't have the same game he once had. I think he's playing a little scared, understandable, after his concussion. Malkin, for whatever reason, loses his game once Crosby comes back. Letang, as good as he is, logs far too many minutes. He can't do it all alone. Lovejoy should go away with his head down. I could go on...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Henry Hank wrote:There's no reason to believe they're going to get back to their game. They've been away from their game for weeks. It started in that OT loss to Philly and nothing has changed it. Not an embarrassing 8-4 loss to Ottawa. Not back-to-back embarrassing losses to the Islanders that blew their chance at the top seed and avoiding this dreaded series, at least early in the playoffs. Not another blown lead loss to Philly. Not another blown lead loss to Philly, this time in the playoffs. If they haven't gotten it now, they're not going to get it.

Add in that the Pens aren't nearly as consistent in generating momentum out of their own end and that's all that needs to be said.

We're relying on desperation now. Not where we should be.
Last edited by Eismann on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 pm

they have 4 terrible defensemen and 2 ok ones. They have no grinders on offense now that Cooke has gone bye bye.

Oh and btw - noobody in their right mind will trade for PM or ZM if only because it will keep the Penguins down for 3 more years.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins