Official GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs. Flyers - 4/13/2012

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs. Flyers - 4/13/2012

Postby Rocco on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Guinness wrote:
Rocco wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:This team was built for the new NHL. The problem is that the new NHL is turning into the old NHL.

Yeah, thats why Kunitz, Malkin, and Neal were -5, -4, and -4 respectively.

Kunitz at least scored. Malkin is floating. Neal is a scared bunny. Neal had an open net that would have tied it. Was it easy? No, but you'd hope a guy who had a breakout year would find a way to push that puck 3 inches to the right.

Come on dude. Malkin is being double and triple covered. There is no room for anyone in the O-zone. Neal made a helluva play on that puck. It didn't go in. Meanwhile, he's been banging everything in sight. Calling him a scared bunny is just nonsense.

Philly is a good team. They're down 0-2 in the ECF. Put your big boy pants on and deal with it - there's still 2 losses to go before they're out. I hope the men in the lockerroom aren't pee-ing their pants, too.

I wasn't aware that Malkin was left alone all season and just now is dealing with teams focusing on him.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Guinness is calming me down.

Believe it or not (and based on what you've read in the political thread, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't), but this actually is my role in life. ;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

I have never been more happy I was unable to watch a game in my entire life. Does anyone honestly think this team is built to win it all? Granted, I could eat my words down the line, but no way this team has a prayer of sniffing the Cup as currently constructed/philosophy.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Guinness wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Guinness wrote:If PGH were down 0-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals right now, would everyone be freaking out, calling for Bylsma's, Shero's and (yes, even) Crosby's and Malkin's heads right now? Nope.

This IS the Eastern Conference Finals. It just happens to be being played in the first round, thanks to the seeding rules.

Philly is a helluva team, and it's no real embarrassment to be down to them, quite frankly. It would be an embarrassment to be down against Ottawa, Washington, or Florida; but they're playing the one team in the East that actually has a chance to beat them.

Calm down. I sure hope it's not as freaked out in the lockerroom as it is here.

I disagree. The Pens have been exposed. Maybe in an alternate universe they survive a round but even the Rangers amped it up for the playoffs.
Pens d and depth is horendous.

Pens are up 2-0 against the Rangers right now. Philly is a bad first round matchup. People need to start thinking of this as the ECF in order to keep things in perspective.

Really? You dont think other coaches would have figured out how to push the Pens?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LetsGoPens7158 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

This is my first ever post on here and is all I have to say is embarrassing. This team's team defense is awful, in the defensive zone they just lunge at people and try and stick their sticks out waiting for something to happen. I played hockey for 15 years and I played defense and you have to move your feet and skate and stay in front of people. This team looks like they should be in the NBA, their defense is awful, they don't move their feet and do not stay in front of people, just wave their sticks around and look for an interception to lead to a breakaway. They need to fix this or were going home early
LetsGoPens7158

Postby bhaw on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Also, the moaning about the defense... I think it has more to do with what I said above. The whole team looks lost on D. If it were just Michalek and Martin, you could say it's the players. But when everyone looks lost and out of position and don't seem to know what to do, that's a system issue. Michalek is a good D man who has had brilliant stretches on this team. I don't think he all of a sudden turned terrible.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 68forever on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
I don't want to harp on that too much though because it's unlikely that one player makes that big a difference. This is a team issue. This is a style and mentality problem. The Pens can't play with a lead. They have one way that they play and they stick with it no matter what. Philly is a dynamic team, they can come at you aggressively but they can also shut down and protect a lead if they have to. That was so evident tonight. That's why they're a better team.

That I believe is what you call playoff hockey. The Flyers know how to adjust between pds. mid period mid play mid stride on the fly to what ever is happening around them. As you say the Pens play one way no matter what and that obviously is NOT working all the time. They haven't figured out how to adjust on the fly to what is happening around them and they are getting beat every which.
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Come on dude. Malkin is being double and triple covered. There is no room for anyone in the O-zone. Neal made a helluva play on that puck. It didn't go in. Meanwhile, he's been banging everything in sight. Calling him a scared bunny is just nonsense.

Philly is a good team. They're down 0-2 in the ECF. Put your big boy pants on and deal with it - there's still 2 losses to go before they're out. I hope the men in the lockerroom aren't pee-ing their pants, too.

I wasn't aware that Malkin was left alone all season and just now is dealing with teams focusing on him.

Rocco is trying out to take over the screen name Puck Drama 2.0. Sad.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GDR on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Did the boys hang around to answer questions tonight or did they haul ass to the watering hole like the other night?
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 pm

bhaw wrote:Flyers in our zone was like watching a bad roller hockey mismatch. They are just circling our zone until a play develops. Their PP is cross ice passes until the net is open.

It looks like no one knows what their role in the D zone is. Guys are backing off guys with no one to pick that guy up. They are letting the Flyers skate around the back of the next then cut to the center with the puck before they even engage them. And, of course, the stick checks are like a small rookie CB trying to arm tackle Jerome Bettis in the open field (in his prime). They just skate through it. I don't know how better to describe it... it looks exactly how roller hockey teams play D when they are playing a better team. Just hope to stay between your guy and the goal and maybe it will work out.

My breaking point with DB will be if the Pens come out with a 4 forward PP in Philly. For me, giving up 2 shorties to blow a playoff game should be enough to show it doesn't work against the team they are playing. If that's not adjusted, I have no faith in our coaching.

So who is the 2nd defenseman who should be out there on PP? Martin? Orpik? Might as well decline the penality.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Pens are up 2-0 against the Rangers right now. Philly is a bad first round matchup. People need to start thinking of this as the ECF in order to keep things in perspective.

I can't see how you can believe that. With this p*ss poor team defense the only team they would be up against would be Florida

Philly is a bad match up for PGH and have been all season; same as PGH is a bad matchup for NYR.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Guinness wrote:Pens are up 2-0 against the Rangers right now. Philly is a bad first round matchup. People need to start thinking of this as the ECF in order to keep things in perspective.

But, it's not Guiness. This is the first round. The Pens need to adjust their game to a more defensive approach or they are done. I don't care how good Philly is, the Pens SHOULD beat them!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bab81 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 pm

bhaw wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I love how reality is mocked on this board.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Fleury should not start the next game. Also RS has one more season before I am calling for his head. We have no backup goalie worth a damn. We have Engeland and Lovejoy as a top 6 pairing. Pathetic job RS. Pathetic. I will give him one more year before I am calling for his head. DB needs fired immediately. Martin needs dumped for anyone stupid enough to take his worthless arse.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Guinness wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I can't see how you can believe that. With this p*ss poor team defense the only team they would be up against would be Florida

Philly is a bad match up for PGH and have been all season; same as PGH is a bad matchup for NYR.

Absolutely true. Pens play anyone else and their flaws are much less noticeable.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 pm

bhaw wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Sorry but I don't buy why we're making excuses for a guy who led the league in scoring and is the likely Hart winner. He bears the burden of expectations, whether he likes it or not. He's had a bullseye on his chest all season and it hasn't mattered until now.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bab81 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Rocco wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Sorry but I don't buy why we're making excuses for a guy who led the league in scoring and is the likely Hart winner. He bears the burden of expectations, whether he likes it or not. He's had a bullseye on his chest all season and it hasn't mattered until now.

This.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:06 pm

pens_CT wrote:
bhaw wrote:Flyers in our zone was like watching a bad roller hockey mismatch. They are just circling our zone until a play develops. Their PP is cross ice passes until the net is open.

It looks like no one knows what their role in the D zone is. Guys are backing off guys with no one to pick that guy up. They are letting the Flyers skate around the back of the next then cut to the center with the puck before they even engage them. And, of course, the stick checks are like a small rookie CB trying to arm tackle Jerome Bettis in the open field (in his prime). They just skate through it. I don't know how better to describe it... it looks exactly how roller hockey teams play D when they are playing a better team. Just hope to stay between your guy and the goal and maybe it will work out.

My breaking point with DB will be if the Pens come out with a 4 forward PP in Philly. For me, giving up 2 shorties to blow a playoff game should be enough to show it doesn't work against the team they are playing. If that's not adjusted, I have no faith in our coaching.

So who is the 2nd defenseman who should be out there on PP? Martin? Orpik? Might as well decline the penality.

Going 10-15% on the PP is better than giving up shorties. I fail to see the benefit vs the Flyers of having a guy out there that they attack when they get the puck and get multiple scoring chances and goals. Pens scored 2 PP goals but gave up 2 SHG. You're right... might as well decline it as it's the same net outcome without the demoralizing goals.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:06 pm

If the Pens lose and DB gets the boot, the rotation now looks like they would hire a disciplinarian/system coach....I'm not so sure these players really want that...you would think the though of having to play for Brent Sutter or someone would wake this bunch of fat cats up!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby orpchar on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:07 pm

The lack of defense has nothing to do with system, pairings, or personnel. It has everything to do with pride, focus, desire, and attention to detial. I don't know if it's pinned on the coaches or the players, but this team is simply going through the motions out there, and expecting their opposition to do the same. It's painful to watch, and it's certainly not going to get this team very far. If they want to go anywhere this year, the Penguins need to start protecting their net.
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bab81 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:07 pm

bab81 wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I love how reality is mocked on this board.

Additionally, if we're going to let Malkin off the hook lets get the 9M worth of wingers we built around him off his line
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:07 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Fleury should not start the next game. Also RS has one more season before I am calling for his head. We have no backup goalie worth a damn. We have Engeland and Lovejoy as a top 6 pairing. Pathetic job RS. Pathetic. I will give him one more year before I am calling for his head. DB needs fired immediately. Martin needs dumped for anyone stupid enough to take his worthless arse.

MAF has to start....the coaching staff needs to adjustments to their "strategy" or "system"...........
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Eismann wrote:
Guinness wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Absolutely true. Pens play anyone else and their flaws are much less noticeable.

This team has lost the desire to play defense. Sure Philly has more firepower than the Rangers, but you can't keep making bonehead mistakes on defense and expect to beat any team in the playoffs.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Rocco wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Who's we? If you're making the excuses, you can stop.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins