Official GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs. Flyers - 4/13/2012

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs. Flyers - 4/13/2012

Postby orpchar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:23 am

I don't think that you can place this performance on one player. If anything, more should be expected from the strength of this team, the centers... particularly Jordan Staal, the 4 million dollar "shutdown center" who has had front row seats for some of the most crucial goals in the series. Sid has also been noticeably lax in the defensive end. If it's a team mentality, perhaps you blame the coach. I don't think it's as much tactical as it is player management... Disco has taught these guys that as long as they "get to their game" and go through the same motions they go through in practice, they will win. Philly has brought another level of intensity that this team is not ready for.

I don't think the sky is falling, I don't think it necessitates firing Bylsma, blowing up the team, etc., but I think it DOES require adjustments, and the Pens have yet to show that. If the wake-up calls (which have been ringing for the past month) are not answered soon, this will be a very, very short series.

However, I take a little bit of comfort in the fact that this Philly team was built to beat the Pens, and I don't think they will fare particularly well against any other team, let alone win anything of significance.
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby hockeymon on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:41 am

Henry Hank wrote:
wondermoose wrote:At this point, I would gladly put Depres in over Martin. Dude is just a wreck out there.

And continue to play Lovejoy?

The call-ups aren't the answer. Strait was a liability in the last few games of the season and Despres is likely to get exposed too. I like the job Shero has done, but I'll echo what others have said. He blew it by not getting a D at the deadline. And isn't it funny that Philly picked up two solid D in Grossman and Kubina. They went for it. Shero didn't. The Pens D depth is garbage after the top six. You can put guys like Lovejoy and Strait or whoever in during the regular season and get by just fine, especially when you're scoring a lot of goals. Teams hone in on those weaknesses in the playoffs. Lovejoy got victimized on goals five and six against. He got victimized in the playoffs last year. Hopefully next year Shero pulls the trigger on deadline deals to shore up the D. They can't go into the playoffs again next year with AHL scrubs as their depth.

Martin again was probably one of the top defenseman again tonight. Not sure why he or Z are even getting mentioned here as an issue. Let's see two goals shorthanded ( Crosby, Sullivan), two goals against engel and love joy, malkin, kunitz, Neal -4. It isn't the flyers D that is winning it for them. It's their desire to compete especially the young players, gourix, couture .
hockeymon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PghSkins on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:49 am

hockeymon wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
wondermoose wrote:At this point, I would gladly put Depres in over Martin. Dude is just a wreck out there.

And continue to play Lovejoy?

The call-ups aren't the answer. Strait was a liability in the last few games of the season and Despres is likely to get exposed too. I like the job Shero has done, but I'll echo what others have said. He blew it by not getting a D at the deadline. And isn't it funny that Philly picked up two solid D in Grossman and Kubina. They went for it. Shero didn't. The Pens D depth is garbage after the top six. You can put guys like Lovejoy and Strait or whoever in during the regular season and get by just fine, especially when you're scoring a lot of goals. Teams hone in on those weaknesses in the playoffs. Lovejoy got victimized on goals five and six against. He got victimized in the playoffs last year. Hopefully next year Shero pulls the trigger on deadline deals to shore up the D. They can't go into the playoffs again next year with AHL scrubs as their depth.

Martin again was probably one of the top defenseman again tonight. Not sure why he or Z are even getting mentioned here as an issue. Let's see two goals shorthanded ( Crosby, Sullivan), two goals against engel and love joy, malkin, kunitz, Neal -4. It isn't the flyers D that is winning it for them. It's their desire to compete especially the young players, gourix, couture .

Kunitz wasn't -4.

He was -5 :scared: :scared: :scared:

Second straight year the Pens have hacked up a snowman at home in the playoffs. Nice. At least the 8th was an EN this time. So we got that goin for us.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby orpchar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:58 am

PghSkins wrote:At least the 8th was an EN this time. So we got that goin for us.

Big hitter, the Lama.
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:11 am

I just don't like the trend that is Penguin playoff hockey these days. Getting blown out, a goalie that can't stop a beach ball, playing playing awful at home, no sense of urgency in huge games.

I'm sorry, hit that's all coaching to me (other than the goalie issue). He has been terribly out coached in each of the past 3 playoff series if you ask me.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ru10tu10 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:19 am

What kills me is how Mark Madden says that Crosby should get the max allowed under the current CBA during contract negotiations beginning July 1 - I see a problem with this how this team is currently constructed paying too much to the top two stars and hope that Crosby and Shero have enough sense to take less than he is making now to continue forward. Sending a message to Geno as well, whose contract is up the following year.

Staying on Madden, who insists that taking the best player in the game off of the power play is a mistake - it is not so much taking him off, it is the mix of right-hand and left-hand shooters that makes a difference. This is not about egos, it should be about winning.

My two cents.
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:45 am

This game, last game, the games in the regular season all look the same. Pens come out dominate the first period. They dump the puck in and hammer the Flyers defensemen. Philly struggles to get the puck out of their own zone and generate any quality scoring chances. Pens get up 2 or 3 goals and then come out in the second period and completely stop doing everything they did right in the first period. By the time the 3rd period rolls around they rarely dump the puck in anymore and the hitting is way down. Philly begins to take over the game and they are the ones doing the cycling. It's clear that when the penguins play the way they are capable of Philly can't hang with them. The problem is the Penguins either physically can't play that way all game or they simply choose not to. If they physically can't play that way all game they got problems, because playing the way they have in the 2nd and 3rd periods isn't cutting it. If they can physically play that way all game and for whatever reason don't do it...well that really shouldn't be too hard to correct if they truly want to win this series. I don't think there is anything the Flyers are doing differently in the second and third period that is causing the problems. I think it's all the Penguins. If it was the Flyers doing something differently, they'd be doing it in the first period of every game.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:33 am

Henry Hank wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Guinness is calming me down.

He's an enabler. It's not healthy for people to be living in a fantasy land.

:lol: It's hockey, dude. The whole thing is fantasy land, win or lose. :lol:

Fandom is on some level emotional and irrational. Sports exists because they're able to convince people like me to make an emotional and financial attachment a) to an event in which I have no control, and b) to athletes who likely wouldn't pee on me if I were on fire. It's not a bad thing to react emotionally, and if venting about the shortcomings on a message board is how I or others react, so be it.

Cheers. It always gets me when someone starts to rip into people for getting emotional since obviously nothing we say can change anything. Duh. But we're fans of a team and we spend time talking about the team on a message board. I know that in the big picture this stuff doesn't matter. I have plenty of other things going for me in life. Life doesn't begin and end with the Pens for me. But I've been a fan for a long time, it means something to me, it's been one of my favorite things since I was a child. I have pride in the city, especially since I don't live there anymore. So with all that, of course there's going to be a emotional interest in it. When things go as badly as they have the last two games, we're going to go off. These are some ugly moments. This is a debacle, some terrible blown leads against a hated rival. This is one of those lows that makes the highs better. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for another Cup high but this year ain't looking like it's going to be.

That's all I got tonight folks. In my heart, I know this series is over. As a fan, I'll watch the ship sink. I'm surely not going to give up on the team now, but I'm realistic. Hopefully they fix what is wrong with them and in a year we're on a run towards making all these kinds of moments worth sticking through. These last two seasons have had a lot of ugliness to them, with the injuries and the playoff collapses. Hopefully, better times ahead with concussions behind us and many more years of some of these great players to look forward to.

Come on. The dude called me an "enabler".
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:17 am

Rocco wrote:
KG wrote:This team needs Ken Hitchcock, or someone like him....

They have come to the point where they think they can run and gun and outscore anyone....that's all fine and dandy in the regular season. But come playoff time that style doesn't work...

I don't like our response in these games either. Don't just accept that we gave up 8 goals! get pissed. Get into a fight, do something. Let Philly know that you haven't given up!

This guy is alive and available.

I thought he was working with the Hawks.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 am

Rangers beat the Flyers six times this year. What was their secret?
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks Sid for being the leader in good, great and bad times. He has been there answering the questions after both of these losses.

ON to philly; when last there in the play-offs, great penguin wins!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:30 am

Southern Fan wrote:Rangers beat the Flyers six times this year. What was their secret?

Image Image Image
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PghSkins on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:31 am

Some Flyers media person- Panaccio maybe- said on HNIC Radio last week that he thought the Flyers would win in 7 with the visiting team winning every game. At first I thought- what a goofy thing to say. But I filed it in the back of my head and now I'm kind of pondering it.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:47 am

It was close last night, but I still haven't been able to boo Max Talbot!

Game 1 attracted the highest 1st round ratings in .... beaucoup years. The cynic in me says buckel up for
seven games.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:51 am

Everytime I saw the Flyers clear or pass the puck up the middle through the neutral zone - I fully expected to see a Flyer waiting for it, for a breakaway or 2-1.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 am

Lol Max Talbot is still trash.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:23 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Lol Max Talbot is still trash.

Agreed, if the Pens are gonna lose I'd at least like to see Asham drop the gloves with Talbot and beat the living daylights out of Talbot. Would make me feel better at least.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:03 pm

if anyone should try to bait talbot, it's kennedy. he's someone who max might actually fight with, and kennedy will also likely win the fight decisively.

but i'd rather the team channel their inner red wing and just play the friggin game (*cough* letang *cough*)
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 pm

npv708 wrote:This Flyers powerplay is scary good.

Yeah, especially when the refs give them 768 powerplays a game.

I mean honestly, 1 of their 4 pp's were legit calls. The refs are making a statement that they have no idea what to do.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:28 pm

The ineptness of the defense and goaltending in this series has been amazing
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins