Penguins v. Flyers (Game 3) GDT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins v. Flyers (Game 3) GDT

Postby jimjom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:49 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
jimjom wrote:I think if anything happens in the offseason Michalek or Martin are moved, Asham, Sullivan, Park all move on and Tony Granato is the coach.

If a coaching change is made, I would hope that it is not a current assistant moving into the position.

Good point I hadn't thought of that yeah, that ain't happening.

Wonder if Scotty Bowman is bored withsemi-retired life... :)
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Abe Frohman on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Three Stars wrote:
penny lane wrote:quote was~ Fleury will start the next 4 games.

Bylsma going down swinging, eh?

The ACTUAL Bylsma quote was...'a lot of pucks...errrr...Fleury will be in our net next game...'
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Guinness wrote:I don't see that. Unless they mount an incomprehensible series comeback (hope against hope), I think some kind of a shakeup is in order.

sounds like a good idea, but i don't see how it would happen. who do you send off? not the face of the team (sid), the hart/art ross winner (geno), not letang, not neal. TK and cooke aren't "shakeup" guys. Z and Martin have their trade clauses.

maybe you could say captain accountability (orpik) should go, but who could picture that? staal had a pretty bangin year. but of course he is a potential unsatisfied UFA soon. he'll want to play on a top unit PP some time in his career, and he's due a raise...so maybe his days are numbered. kunitz was my least favorite player this series. he has a dicey post season history, and is generally unreliable as far as whether or not he's dialed in. if they have to make a statement, he's an option.

overall, i don't see much possibility of a shakeup. am i missing anything?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Streaks House wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote: i said Staal as a possible along with Cooke as a possible. The fact that Staal is our third liner again this season is hurting the chances of re-signing him (opinion of course). Plus, the whole shut-down label is kind of overblown. Maybe a guy like Park goes to the third line and has the same success/failure at being a shut-down centermen... which is really all you are looking for at third lines anyways. I love Staal, and would really like him to stay but i think it has to be on the top 2 lines or else maybe its time. Maybe Parise would be a signing option for the pens if Staal was traded for picks.

Yeah trading Staal for picks so they can sign Parise makes a ton of sense, considering scoring goals is such a problem...averaging 4 goals for a game generally wins you games. When your GAA is 6.67, defense might be a problem. If anything, you take a run at a Weber or Suter. But that will never happen.

No i actually agree with you... just saying i am not sure you are going to be able to re-sign staal or even that it makes sense to re-sign him if he is going to be a third liner. Maybe getting some value for him before his last year of his contract is up makes sense and the money that is freed up allows you to also go after a guy like parise who could play on sids wing.

of course this doesnt help our defense at all, but i think that is an entirely different story with an entirely different set of payroll freed up.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 pm

I laughed.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 pm

If you're going to trade someone, Staal has the most value.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Abe Frohman on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Rocco wrote:If you're going to trade someone, Staal has the most value.

DING DING DING...what does he win, Johnny???

$4 Million to play on the 3rd line...

Name me ONE other team that wastes $4 Million on a 3rd-liner???
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby marek on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
sniper wrote:
marek wrote:So does anyone feel differently and now agrees that the pens should have targeted max and taken him out of this series? Lol

Why because he scored two goals that a high school level goalie could stop with ease?

Pens have played like complete crap, obviously. Max Talbot has nothing to do with that. The penguins have played 40 minutes in this series. The first periods of games 1 and 2. The rest is complete garbage. The worst part is I still think the Pens best is better than the Flyers best. Sadly it certainly looks like we will never see the Penguins best or anything close to it. I have no idea what they are doing, but it sure isn't working.

Max has had everything to do with the last 2 wins. He was a +5 with 2 points last game, and was a +2 with 2 points again today.

The guy wins a cup with us, says he loves being a penguin, comes up for free agency and decides to go to our most hated rival because he's going to get a raise. To put this in perspective the after tax raise is barely anything. His per paycheck increase gets him a couple more douchy shirts that he loves so much... Wow. He's no doubt still driving his pathetically lame but perfectly in character BMW. I know this first hand because well, People that work for me make more money than him :)

Now he's not only laughing at his former teammates he's rubbing their noses in it.

Yeah, He is beating us but he should not have been given the opportunity to do so. Someone needed to make a statement in game one. No penguin did.

Instead the pens took the high road. Said hello to him, shared a few smiles probably had dinner with the cheesy d bag and look who's laughing now.

He's singlehandedly made the entire organization look foolish. And people think what jagr did is bad?!?!?!

The pens Lost this series when they broadcasted that lame tribute to him on his first visit back to Pittsburgh.

He's the enemy and should have been reminded of that. Not thanked or congratulated.

Now it's too late, the penguins look like spoiled brats.
Instead of a determined team willing to do whatever it takes to win.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 pm

On the topic of Talbot... he and Fleury have been very close friends for a long time, but don't think for one minute that he hasn't give the Flyers some insight on how to get into Fleury's head.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Not sure if this was posted. Good Sid clip...he's PO'd

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip658997#clip658997
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:11 pm

I've settled down from being pissed and disappointed, but I just want to see on Wednesday the Pens play one 60 minute game. Yeah, at this point, it proves nothing, but it would nice to see them just put a game together so at least there is a positive instead of this **** I have had to watch the past 3 games.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm

sid doesn't get it
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Durbano on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm

KG wrote:Not sure if this was posted. Good Sid clip...he's PO'd

The first segment with Sid was fantastic!
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:26 pm

I keep coming back to the ad with Sid after losing in the finals slumped against the boards and saying "I don't want to ever have this feeling again" or some such thing.

I'm not one to question Sid's drive and he's just one player on the team but... it's about to be a much worse feeling. Hope whoever's back keeps it in their back pocket for next year.
Last edited by PghSkins on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:

Name me 1 other team that has Jordan Staal, Evgeni Malkin, and Sidney Crosby.

:face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saveourpens on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 pm

You guys know what's the biggest joke?? This board after a loss.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm sick of hearing all of the commentators saying that hockey is an honorable sport....I'm not buying it.

This type of chippy/dirty play/hits have been around for as long as I've watched hockey...

I don't have a problem with the Pens game today. I wish they would just play hard and win. But to say that hockey is historically an honorable sport...I don't buy it....it's a nasty, tough game, a game that I love....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:39 pm

saveourpens wrote:You guys know what's the biggest joke?? This board after a loss.

That songs getting old too. I hate the negativity around here too, but at some point what the F do u expect. This team has let us all down royally. I fell like i"ve wasted 7 months of my life. Losing to a better team is one thing, which I actually thing they're doing. But this? They are all letting us down.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Durbano wrote:

It was, but at the same time, it's very obvious they have gotten in his head which sucks.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:

This whole "$4 million for a 3rd liner!" sentiment is so flawed. He has the second highest average time on ice among Penguin forwards this season.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:44 pm

dman66 wrote:
Durbano wrote:

It was, but at the same time, it's very obvious they have gotten in his head which sucks.

That was what I took out of it as well. On one hand it's great to see Sid fired up. But to come out and say he hates every player on the team etc. It has clearly gone mental with this team.

I don't think Philly hates the Pens not nearly as much! could be that they own us..........
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
saveourpens wrote:You guys know what's the biggest joke?? This board after a loss.

That songs getting old too. I hate the negativity around here too, but at some point what the F do u expect. This team has let us all down royally. I fell like i"ve wasted 7 months of my life. Losing to a better team is one thing, which I actually thing they're doing. But this? They are all letting us down.

You're problem (and most of this board's as well) is that you take it WAY too seriously.

"I feel like I've wasted 7 months of my life"? If you feel like you've wasted 7 months over a professional sports team, you probably need to get you priorities straight (not saying yours are out of order, but come on, that's pushing the boundaries of sanity).

Be happy we still have a hockey team.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:

Challenge accepted.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8458525

What do I win?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:

You're problem (and most of this board's as well) is that you take it WAY too seriously.

"I feel like I've wasted 7 months of my life"? If you feel like you've wasted 7 months over a professional sports team, you probably need to get you priorities straight (not saying yours are out of order, but come on, that's pushing the boundaries of sanity).

Be happy we still have a hockey team.

I understand what youre getting at, but for some of us, a lot of us, this team means so much. An unreal amount of our time and money goes into this this. It doesn't always turn out in our favor, but once in a lifetime it turns out like it is now. Yeah I think this board is crazy at times, but, these past 5 days have really let us all down.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I understand what youre getting at, but for some of us, a lot of us, this team means so much. An unreal amount of our time and money goes into this this. It doesn't always turn out in our favor, but once in a lifetime it turns out like it is now. Yeah I think this board is crazy at times, but, these past 5 days have really let us all down.

If these past 5 days have gone bad for you guys, I don't even want to know what half of you were doing when the Pens weren't making the playoffs.

I understand you put money into it, but people put money into the stock market, too, and it doesn't always make gains. You gotta deal with the ups and downs, it's a part of life.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins