Raffi Torres suspended 25 games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Raffi Torres suspended 25 games

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:22 pm

This is due to Torres being an idiot and nothing to do with anything else which is a shame. No message will be sent. Shanny is still a joke.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:24 pm

This is consistent. Guys who refuse to adapt get the nuclear option.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:46 pm

penny lane wrote:sadly part of the equation is who gets hits...substitute Dan Carcillo for Hossa and the nhl is talking the coyotes strong play.

True, but that's not an unreasonable consideration. If guys think that superstars are more protected, teams are less likely to send a Godard type after a Crosby type.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Weirdness on the CBC: according to Damian Cox, CBC and HNIC weren't allowed to talk about the Torres suspension until Don Cherry's first appearance tonight. It was mentioned on the news, but none of the sports talking heads could talk about it until Cherry had his say. Weird.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Streaks House on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Let's see what kind of message this sends, only time will tell. But here's my question:

Is this the NHL's way of saying they are sick of Torres and his antics and this is their way to truly stick it to him?

OR

Is the NHL finally sending a message that these egregious hits will not be tolerated? If this is a player without a disciplinary record, how many games does he get, 5-10?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Streaks House wrote:Let's see what kind of message this sends, only time will tell. But here's my question:

Is this the NHL's way of saying they are sick of Torres and his antics and this is their way to truly stick it to him?

OR

Is the NHL finally sending a message that these egregious hits will not be tolerated? If this is a player without a disciplinary record, how many games does he get, 5-10?

He probably gets 5 or less. There's no doubt that the history of Torres played a part in the suspension, and it should. This wasn't an accident. This is how he plays.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penmyst on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:36 am

Streaks House wrote:Let's see what kind of message this sends, only time will tell. But here's my question:

OR

I'm voting for the former.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 am

just saw shanahan's suspension video. they showed the 4 or 5 other hits to the head that he's been punished for in the past.

i don't understand why cooke was the one getting lynched last year. torres has a much, much sketchier past.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:22 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:
penny lane wrote:sadly part of the equation is who gets hits...substitute Dan Carcillo for Hossa and the nhl is talking the coyotes strong play.

True, but that's not an unreasonable consideration. If guys think that superstars are more protected, teams are less likely to send a Godard type after a Crosby type.

Completely faulty reasoning. Point is not that some guys are off limits... point is that, if you let these guys go long enough hitting like this, they will eventually have a **** at a Crosby type and won't think twice about making that hit. Hits are either legal or they aren't, and they need to eliminate them BEFORE someone gets hurt like this, not after. Your suggestion indicates that a star needs to get seriously injured before players will get the message, yet stars keep getting injured on plays like this.

The gray area you said isn't unreasonable needs to be extremely limited. When you suspend James Neal for a high hit on Giroux and kick Matt Cooke out of a game for getting hit after the whistle, and Shea Weber can slam Z's head into the glass without missing a game, and PK Slew-Ban can 'dangerously trip' everyone without any penalty at all, players can't be sure what's legal and when.
Last edited by Pitt87 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby topshelf on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:27 am

The Snapshot wrote:I think it is great, but seems pretty arbitrary too in terms of games. Shanahan is still all over the map with these rulings. Torres is a thug, but I don't see how this one gets 25 games when some of the other decisions have been made. I still can't believe Weber got nothing at all, and then this one jumps all the way to 25 games. Just so unexpected based on the history of Shanny's rule.

I'm still wondering how Asham got 4 and Rinaldo didn't get anything.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to NPR