PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:00 pm

pens#1 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Still would take Jagr over TK any day of the week.

Shero didnt think he would fit the "system". Sheros system now has my yard looking nicer and nicer earlier and earlier every spring.

Lets Go Rangers, Bruins - please beat Philly

2 years in Montreal and now Philly where the system is broken.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Abe Frohman on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, but get rid of TK, and WHO will take those amazing slapshots (errr clearing passes for the opposing team) that miss the net and wrap around the boards back to center???

Think before you type...
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:Some teams are built around stars who garner lots and lots of scoring trophies...but cannot find the necessary chemistry to excel in the playoffs. Unfortunately, this MAY be the Pens best description.

You draft well...get superstars, but FAIL to surround them with the talent needed to win in the PLAYOFFS. You overspend on some areas (CENTER, I will say until they unload one of these players), ignore others to their detriment.

Top goalie sucks in the series...top-2 stars almost invisible for long stretches...defense is soft...NO veteran leadership. PERIOD...

Massive changes are needed...a lot of dead-weight on this team.

Maybe my history is foggy, but we've already won 1 cup with this team, right? That would ultimately debunk this entire post.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:02 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Mario please think before you do anything.

Couldn't disagree more. This team has been molded around three centers. This is what a healthy lineup built around three centers was able to do in the playoffs. The Flyers blew up their roster last summer but won with tenacity and depth....something the pens could not match.

I don't care what anyone says....a healthy lineup....another first round exit....it's time to $&@?ing retool. Maybe it's time to part with DB and go in a different direction......maybe it's time to move 71 or 87 and bring in some more offensive depth. Something has to be done because clearly this team is not built for playoff success.

I change my mind on whether I agree with this sentiment almost by the second. On one hand, I don't think the series was a matter of complete Flyers dominance -- this game was by far the most complete performance by any team in the series -- but on the other hand, I don't particularly love this team right now or feel great about it. Is it ok to admit that I don't really know what the best course would be? Its a message board, so this is probably a dangerous sentiment to express.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Patton on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Next time philly flies to a game...i'm cheering for gravity
Patton

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:

Yeah, but get rid of TK, and WHO will take those amazing slapshots (errr clearing passes for the opposing team) that miss the net and wrap around the boards back to center???

Think before you type...

your work here is done; travel on. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Sheros system now has my yard looking nicer and nicer earlier and earlier every spring.

This has to be the quote of the year.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Easton on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Massive changes are not necessary. Changes are necessary, but not a massive overhaul.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Ooof....that was tough to watch.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Can we bury Martin in the AHL to save cap space next season or is his NMC going to prevent that?
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby suzinpgh on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Say what you want about Jagr but after a bad second half of the season he really showed up this series. That line was unstoppable.

:thumb:

He always has shown up in the playoffs. I don't know whether the Flyers are going
to get out of the next round, but the 40 year old certainly has impressed.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby malkinshair on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

MAF let his team down, but, honestly, the team didn't show up anyway.

The Flyers deserved this win. They came out today and played excellent D. They had forwards back, sticks down, bodies in lanes. The Pens should take some notes for next year.

Really disappointing on 1 level, but after going down 3-0 there was no room for error. They err'd this afternoon. MAF will get most of the blame, but the team failed to show up and play with desperation. They looked slow and disinterested. Unbelievably disappointing.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:06 pm

malksby8771 wrote:Can we bury Martin in the AHL to save cap space next season or is his NMC going to prevent that?

He will be traded, there are plenty of teams that cant get FA's
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:07 pm

goddamn that Ben Lovejoy turnover and missed oversides call were both pretty big...

best of luck:

Asham, Martin, Sullivan, Niskanen i doubt any of you will be back next year. don't think they can keep Nisky
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:07 pm

That shots blocked stat was absurd.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:08 pm

pens#1 wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:Can we bury Martin in the AHL to save cap space next season or is his NMC going to prevent that?

He has a NMC, I'm asking if we're stuck with him bc of the NMC. Does anyone know??
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:08 pm

malkinshair wrote:MAF let his team down, but, honestly, the team didn't show up anyway.

The Flyers deserved this win. They came out today and played excellent D. They had forwards back, sticks down, bodies in lanes. The Pens should take some notes for next year.

Really disappointing on 1 level, but after going down 3-0 there was no room for error. They err'd this afternoon. MAF will get most of the blame, but the team failed to show up and play with desperation. They looked slow and disinterested. Unbelievably disappointing.

There is no excuse by coach dan or the players for their 1st period play.
The pens put themselves in this position. There will be changes , there will be changes that hurt.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

knives of ice wrote:goddamn that Ben Lovejoy turnover and missed oversides call were both pretty big...

best of luck:

Asham, Martin, Sullivan, Niskanen i doubt any of you will be back next year. don't think they can keep Nisky

They can if they can dump Martin. Sullivan can stay as well.

Here's hoping to a full year with our stars healthy next year...although roster may look much, much different to start.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevo on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Today was on the Flower. Can't let in those two/three weak goals.
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Abe Frohman on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

bhaw wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:Some teams are built around stars who garner lots and lots of scoring trophies...but cannot find the necessary chemistry to excel in the playoffs. Unfortunately, this MAY be the Pens best description.

You draft well...get superstars, but FAIL to surround them with the talent needed to win in the PLAYOFFS. You overspend on some areas (CENTER, I will say until they unload one of these players), ignore others to their detriment.

Top goalie sucks in the series...top-2 stars almost invisible for long stretches...defense is soft...NO veteran leadership. PERIOD...

Massive changes are needed...a lot of dead-weight on this team.

Maybe my history is foggy, but we've already won 1 cup with this team, right? That would ultimately debunk this entire post.

Yeah...and IF you'll stand pat on a gameplan that might have worked 3 years ago...I'll point to the FACTS:

1) Early exits the past 3 years (last year WAS marred by injuries, I'll agree).
2) The Pens' roster is NOT that of 2009.
3) 2009 required hurculean efforts from Crosby and Malkin (the first teammates with 30+ Playoff points since the Avs, I believe...1996??). To expect that every year (or ever again) may be asking too much.

Team chemistry (or balance, if you will) may be MUCH more important than having a few BIG guns surrounded by lower-tier talent.

The Pens' allocation / spending of money MUST be questioned...and the finger is pointed at Shero as much as anybody else for this debacle. To 'nibble around the margins' this offseason will be an epic mistake...
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GDR on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

malksby8771 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:

He has a NMC, I'm asking if we're stuck with him bc of the NMC. Does anyone know??

honestly nobody knows because the CBA runs out in September. Impossible to know what will come out of that regarding contracts and related issues.
Last edited by GDR on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

I still feel the pens are the better team. Pens played awful though and deserved to lose. PK and Goaltending were beyond belief bad. I don't understand how they can play so well all season and then look like they have no clue for an entire series. Completely gave away this series. Just handed it over. Only good news is the players enter the post season healthy and they should come into next year in shape and ready to go unlike the past few seasons.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm

malksby8771 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:

he'll either accept a trade or get sent to the minors. take your pick
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Got to give the Flyers credit today. They came out ready to finish and just choked the life out of the Pens. I think they had about 35 blocked shots through the first two periods alone. Bryz is a real weak link at times, but the Flyers took the old Detroit/Osgood approach of simply reducing good chances and shots down to very, very few to where it didn't matter who was in net.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 pm

malksby8771 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:

Its a Limited No Trade- Martin would have submit a list of teams he would accept a trade too- i would assume at this point Martin knows he needs out of Pittsburgh- its just not working out for him
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins