PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 pm

knives of ice wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:Can we bury Martin in the AHL to save cap space next season or is his NMC going to prevent that?

He will be traded, there are plenty of teams that cant get FA's

He has a NMC, I'm asking if we're stuck with him bc of the NMC. Does anyone know??

he'll either accept a trade or get sent to the minors. take your pick

HE HAS A NMC! NO MOVEMENT = CANT BE SENT TO THE MINORS, RIGHT?? SOMEONE ANSWER THAT lol im angry now
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah so I guess I will start looking to see who the pens can draft this year.

Sucks.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Good god, how GROSS would it be if

Washington and Florida make it to the Eastern Finals?

Would anyone watch that Suckass Southeastern Divisional Matchup?
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:15 pm

So who is off-limits for blame? Other than canaan, apparently.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Given that Martin has a NMC (No Movement Clause) are we for sure stuck with him? Can we bury him in the minors or does his NMC prevent that? Someone please answer me I'm dying to know...
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:17 pm

malksby8771 wrote:Given that Martin has a NMC (No Movement Clause) are we for sure stuck with him? Can we bury him in the minors or does his NMC prevent that? Someone please answer me I'm dying to know...

You think Shero's willing to admit he blew it on Martin by either trading him for pennies on the dollar or dumping him in the minors?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:17 pm

There is no way they pay him 5mil to play in WBS anyways.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Rocco wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:Given that Martin has a NMC (No Movement Clause) are we for sure stuck with him? Can we bury him in the minors or does his NMC prevent that? Someone please answer me I'm dying to know...

You think Shero's willing to admit he blew it on Martin by either trading him for pennies on the dollar or dumping him in the minors?

Yes, especially if he wants a new contract
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:18 pm

The Martin hate is unreal. I think he was playing hurt too
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Boy, I got over that quickly. Started playing Xbox and didn't even watch the third period. Dreading having to work in the Philly area, but other than that, who cares. Hope their pathetic show gets coaches and/or players axed.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:The Martin hate is unreal. I think he was playing hurt too

He doesnt score, hit, block shots, etc.... he is worth half his contract
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm

The whole team better have been playing hurt.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:20 pm

pens#1 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

He's got 3 years left. Can't get a new deal any time soon.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:20 pm

pens#1 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Guys seriously, that doesn't answer my question. Can we move him or does his NMC prevent any moves, including sent to AHL? Please let me know if you know, you can PM me if you want I don't care.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Rocco wrote:
pens#1 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

The point is Shero Cant care what the return is or how it makes him look- Getting 1 Cup out of this team is a poor reflection on him.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:21 pm

malksby8771 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Guys seriously, that doesn't answer my question. Can we move him or does his NMC prevent any moves, including sent to AHL? Please let me know if you know, you can PM me if you want I don't care.

you have asked 5 times- clearly no one knows the exact specifications for Paul Martins contact
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mariojr on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:23 pm

slappybrown wrote:I would take a Caps Cup over a Flyers win every day of the week. The Flyers winning the Cup is the single worst Pittsburgh sports result. I'd rather the Caps win 5 straight Cups before the Flyers win one.

Really? I'd rather the Flyers win four out of the next five cups if the Pens win the fifth.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:24 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:Some teams are built around stars who garner lots and lots of scoring trophies...but cannot find the necessary chemistry to excel in the playoffs. Unfortunately, this MAY be the Pens best description.

You draft well...get superstars, but FAIL to surround them with the talent needed to win in the PLAYOFFS. You overspend on some areas (CENTER, I will say until they unload one of these players), ignore others to their detriment.

Top goalie sucks in the series...top-2 stars almost invisible for long stretches...defense is soft...NO veteran leadership. PERIOD...

Massive changes are needed...a lot of dead-weight on this team.

Maybe my history is foggy, but we've already won 1 cup with this team, right? That would ultimately debunk this entire post.

Yeah...and IF you'll stand pat on a gameplan that might have worked 3 years ago...I'll point to the FACTS:

1) Early exits the past 3 years (last year WAS marred by injuries, I'll agree).
2) The Pens' roster is NOT that of 2009.
3) 2009 required hurculean efforts from Crosby and Malkin (the first teammates with 30+ Playoff points since the Avs, I believe...1996??). To expect that every year (or ever again) may be asking too much.

Team chemistry (or balance, if you will) may be MUCH more important than having a few BIG guns surrounded by lower-tier talent.

The Pens' allocation / spending of money MUST be questioned...and the finger is pointed at Shero as much as anybody else for this debacle. To 'nibble around the margins' this offseason will be an epic mistake...

This makes more sense than calling the Pens the new TB. Clearly they can win in the playoffs with the major pieces they have. MAF, Sid, Malkin, Staal, Letang, and Orpik are where you start. Neal has been added. I think the biggest tweak is in the coaching staff. If you can move Martin, do it. If not, it's not the devastating issue most will say it is. Split up Kunitz and Neal so you can have Sid with Dupuis and Kunitz again. Move TK up to the 2nd line with Geno (unless we move TK). Replace TK with a bigger, tougher guy for the 3rd line. Vitale centers line 4 with 2 new guys who are a bit tougher and more helpful that what we have. I assume Asham is gone. Adams becomes the extra.

Try to move Martin so you can play Orpik with Letang. Michalek with Niskanen. Engo, Despres, and a new body to throw in the mix (the big guy who can handle Jagr/Hartnell).

Get MAF a new goalie coach. He doesn't need an overhaul, just someone to work on the small holes that people complain about.

Biggest change will be the coaching staff, IMO. We have the horses on offense to score. Need someone to stabilize the D, regardless of the personnel.

I'd like the new 4th liners to be bigger guys who can replace Kunitz and Cooke in a year or two. Hopefully pieces we can get in a Martin trade. Also, decide if they want to ride it out with Tangradi b/c he can help that package if they don't want him around.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:25 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:The Martin hate is unreal. I think he was playing hurt too

Martin deserves the hate he is recieving. But Orpik deserves some as well. I honestly never saw anyone get burned so many times by deciding to make the big hit at the wrong time. You see it a lot, but the goalie makes a save or the other d picks it up, or the shooter misses the net. But it just seemed like this series, when Orpik stepped up, it was in the net.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Shea Weber Please
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:26 pm

mariojr wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I would take a Caps Cup over a Flyers win every day of the week. The Flyers winning the Cup is the single worst Pittsburgh sports result. I'd rather the Caps win 5 straight Cups before the Flyers win one.

Really? I'd rather the Flyers win four out of the next five cups if the Pens win the fifth.

Not sure why, but I think I don't like Washington more than Philly. Maybe it's because Philly is in PA - big rivals, but it's just not the team I can't stand.

Maybe it was when Washington fans put pics of Crosby in the urinals that did it for me.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm

The good news is that Ashams suspension is over :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm

pens#1 wrote:Shea Weber Please

Is he a free agent?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:The good news is that Ashams suspension is over :)

1 more game. Issue was in game 3. 4 game suspension, 3 played.

He is ineligible for pre-season, I believe.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 pm

pens#1 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
pens#1 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

The point is Shero Cant care what the return is or how it makes him look- Getting 1 Cup out of this team is a poor reflection on him.

Could say the same about Philly, Chicago, Vancouver, Washington, etc. Too much luck, parity, health, match ups, etc involved in a Cup run. Best built team doesn't always win. Pens are the second best team in East and they are done.

All you can do is build a team that can contend every year and hope for the best. You can't expect multiple cups just because u have a good core.

2 cup finals, a Cup win, then bad loss to MTL, then last year didn't count dud to injury, and this year we lost to a superior team.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins