PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Rocco wrote:
pens#1 wrote:Shea Weber Please

Is he a free agent?

Yes, drop Martin and Michalek for picks and spend the money on Weber and bring up Despres on an entry level contract.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mariojr on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 pm

bhaw wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:Some teams are built around stars who garner lots and lots of scoring trophies...but cannot find the necessary chemistry to excel in the playoffs. Unfortunately, this MAY be the Pens best description.

You draft well...get superstars, but FAIL to surround them with the talent needed to win in the PLAYOFFS. You overspend on some areas (CENTER, I will say until they unload one of these players), ignore others to their detriment.

Top goalie sucks in the series...top-2 stars almost invisible for long stretches...defense is soft...NO veteran leadership. PERIOD...

Massive changes are needed...a lot of dead-weight on this team.

Maybe my history is foggy, but we've already won 1 cup with this team, right? That would ultimately debunk this entire post.

So 2009.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Seriously, I would take a bunch of people rubbing the loss in my face 1000 times over than the people at this bar and some friends on Facebook who watch 5 games a year and are acting like theyre upset. There's a girl at work tmw ill have to deal with too, just moved here from CA, never knew what hockey was until she got here, had no idea SJ had a team even tho she lived out there, but all ill hear tmw is how mad she is at the Penguins. It's so annoying, especially when I'm genuinely upset and will be for days. I don't need that crap
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mariojr on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:34 pm

In 2009, Malkin didn't have the huge contract yet, so we could afford to pay both him and Crosby. Now, I'm not sure we can keep paying them, plus Staal, Fleury, Neal, Orpik, Letang, Martin (yuk!), and Michalek (yuk again!) and still have room for good support players. I would keep Malkin over Crosby at this point.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pen48guins on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Seriously, I would take a bunch of people rubbing the loss in my face 1000 times over than the people at this bar and some friends on Facebook who watch 5 games a year and are acting like theyre upset. There's a girl at work tmw ill have to deal with too, just moved here from CA, never knew what hockey was until she got here, had no idea SJ had a team even tho she lived out there, but all ill hear tmw is how mad she is at the Penguins. It's so annoying, especially when I'm genuinely upset and will be for days. I don't need that crap

I had a guy who sent me a text trying to rub it in. He doesn't watch any games. When I called him out all he had to say was he just likes rooting against any team I like. :?
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Who haven't we had money to afford? Even if we had 20M extra I would not want to have matched the contracts Rupp and Talbot got. Same with Malone.

The Pens have been able to afford people every year when people say we can't afford everyone. We just signed the 4th highest goal scorer in the league for $5M per year without damaging the cap. What else can't we get?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Abe Frohman on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm

mariojr wrote:In 2009, Malkin didn't have the huge contract yet, so we could afford to pay both him and Crosby. Now, I'm not sure we can keep paying them, plus Staal, Fleury, Neal, Orpik, Letang, Martin (yuk!), and Michalek (yuk again!) and still have room for good support players. I would keep Malkin over Crosby at this point.

Agreed.

Malkin does not have the precarious health issues of Crosby, and the NHL will NOT give the Pens a suitable replacement IF Crosby retires after his next good hit.

Trade Crosby now...the Pens will get a HUGE return (doesn't have to be ALL in roster players, mix picks and players to lessen the CAP hit).

This allows Malkin and Staal to center the top 2 lines...spend the extra cap space on a wing, retool D (Despres, jettison Martin and Orpik if possible)...
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Staggy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:
mariojr wrote:In 2009, Malkin didn't have the huge contract yet, so we could afford to pay both him and Crosby. Now, I'm not sure we can keep paying them, plus Staal, Fleury, Neal, Orpik, Letang, Martin (yuk!), and Michalek (yuk again!) and still have room for good support players. I would keep Malkin over Crosby at this point.

Agreed.

Malkin does not have the precarious health issues of Crosby, and the NHL will NOT give the Pens a suitable replacement IF Crosby retires after his next good hit.

Trade Crosby now...the Pens will get a HUGE return (doesn't have to be ALL in roster players, mix picks and players to lessen the CAP hit).

This allows Malkin and Staal to center the top 2 lines...spend the extra cap space on a wing, retool D (Despres, jettison Martin and Orpik if possible)...

You don't trade the best player in the world unless there is a legitimate reason. There isn't.

And what does "the NHL will NOT give the Pens a suitable replacement" even mean? They're not going to "rig" another draft for us? :roll:
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:44 pm

I'll answer my question about Martin and his NMC then. We're stuck with him bc of Shero's mistake of giving him a NMC. Period.

"A no-trade clause requires a player's consent before a trade involving that player is made. If a player has a no-movement clause, the player cannot be traded, waived, or sent down to the minors without that player's approval. In both cases, however, a player is not protected from being bought out by the player's current team.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_D ... z1snfbIXgc"
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:44 pm

One thing Shero hasnt done and i think it caught up with him finally is signing guys early, imagine if we would have locked Scuds up for 2-2.5 million before the Cup run? Let alone we would have him instead of Martin, but would also have an 2.5 million in cap space.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Martin has some kind of limited NMC. I don't recall what the terms were.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby youngblood on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:45 pm

I rarely post, and I would not trade him, but I am tired of hearing Crosby is "the best player in the world". He isn't anymore
youngblood

Postby André on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 pm

What is this talk about not affording the supporting cast? That's three years ago. Now with the new cap they do afford it, and had it (Neal, Sullivan, Kunitz, Kennedy, Dupuis). The roster's awesome. They just crapped the bed first half of the series.

Last year they were out because of injuries but the year before that they were healthy and underperformed vs Montreal.

The D and Fleury lost the series early, Crosby and Malkin underperforming in the last two games lost the comeback chance.
Last edited by André on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 pm

This malksby guy is having a meltdown over NMCs lolololol
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 pm

youngblood wrote:I rarely post, and I would not trade him, but I am tired of hearing Crosby is "the best player in the world". He isn't anymore

why isnt he? becuase they lost today? Some of you are nuts and should continue to "rarely post"
Last edited by pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm

youngblood wrote:I rarely post, and I would not trade him, but I am tired of hearing Crosby is "the best player in the world". He isn't anymore

He's been averaging near 1.7/per since his return. No one else was even close to Malkin's 1.45 this season for some perspective.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby youngblood on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm

pens#1 wrote:

why isnt he? becuase they lost today? Some of you are nuts

Nothing to do with the loss, but to say he is superior to Malkin, or even **** Giroux right now is ludicrous
youngblood

Postby Staggy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm

He went a year without hockey. Expecting him to come back and immediately be the same player is ridiculous. I'm willing to bet he tears up the league next year.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm

André wrote:What is this talk about not affording the supporting cast? That's three years ago. Now with the new cap they do afford it, and had it (Neal, Sullivan, Kunitz, Kennedy, Dupuis). The roster's awesome. They just crapped the bed first half of the series.

Last year they were out because of injuries but the year before that they were healthy and underperformed vs Montreal.

The D and Fleury lost the series early, Crosby and Malkin underperforming in the last two games lost the comeback chance.

I thought Malkin played pretty well in 5 and 6.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm

On Sid I wouldn't be surprised to hear about something concerning health. His last two games were exceptionally weak and that is rarely seen two games in a row, rarely seen if he's healthy and rarely seen vs the Flyers.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:50 pm

blaming Sid and Geno is rediculous. If MAF even puts up a 900% save percentage the Pens win this series
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby youngblood on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:51 pm

André wrote:On Sid I wouldn't be surprised to hear about something concerning health. His last two games were exceptionally weak and that is rarely seen two games in a row, rarely seen if he's healthy and rarely seen vs the Flyers.

Agree, and I do believe he will regain the title of the best
youngblood

Postby André on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:51 pm

slappybrown wrote:
André wrote:What is this talk about not affording the supporting cast? That's three years ago. Now with the new cap they do afford it, and had it (Neal, Sullivan, Kunitz, Kennedy, Dupuis). The roster's awesome. They just crapped the bed first half of the series.

I thought Malkin played pretty well in 5 and 6.

Last period of game 5 good but first two awful. Good second half of the game today, however. True. He's not my main culprit in any way (Sid probably a bit more) but however you slice it game 5 and 6 didn't see enough from our two leaders and best players.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:52 pm

youngblood wrote:
André wrote:On Sid I wouldn't be surprised to hear about something concerning health. His last two games were exceptionally weak and that is rarely seen two games in a row, rarely seen if he's healthy and rarely seen vs the Flyers.

Agree, and I do believe he will regain the title of the best

you just said you were tired of hearing how he is the best?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GDR on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Laviolette said post game that he specifically worked with Talbot to game plan for the Penguins for everybody that was dismissing that thought.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins