How do Pens think fans swallow another 10% tix increase now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How do Pens think fans swallow another 10% tix increase now?

Postby moondart on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 pm

How do Pens think fans will swallow another 10% tix increase now? 3 early exits in the 3 years? 27% playoff increase....40% increase over last 3 years....for another first round exit?
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: How do Pens think fans swallow another 10% tix increase

Postby Factorial on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:53 pm

The one's who want to keep their tickets will swallow the price increase. Those who do not, will be replaced by waiting list holders.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Factorial wrote:The one's who want to keep their tickets will swallow the price increase. Those who do not, will be replaced by waiting list holders.

Agreed.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Supply and Demand.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Factorial wrote:The one's who want to keep their tickets will swallow the price increase. Those who do not, will be replaced by waiting list holders.

Those who do not, MIGHT be replaced by waiting list holders
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Their goal is to maximize revenue (which can be done even if the place isn't selling out).
Why is that a surprise?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby moondart on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:11 pm

columbia wrote:Their goal is to maximize revenue (which can be done even if the place isn't selling out).
Why is that a surprise?

You mean when they state "sellout" when the last 1500 to 2000 tickets are student rush giveaways?
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Yep....and that number will likely rise.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:18 pm

moondart wrote:
columbia wrote:Their goal is to maximize revenue (which can be done even if the place isn't selling out).
Why is that a surprise?

You mean when they state "sellout" when the last 1500 to 2000 tickets are student rush giveaways?

Its more like a couple of hundred per game that are student rush. Not sure where you get the 1500 to 2000 tickets figure.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby moondart on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:22 pm

pens_CT wrote:
moondart wrote:
Why is that a surprise?

Its more like a couple of hundred per game that are student rush. Not sure where you get the 1500 to 2000 tickets figure.

Check out Ticketmaster on most game days dude....not an exageration.
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:31 pm

moondart wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
moondart wrote:
Why is that a surprise?

I do Dude, Unless you are talking about a lousy opponent like the Islanders the number is a couple hundred, mainly single seats. I doubt that even the Islanders had more than 700 seats available.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:33 pm

How many of those on the ticket waiting list were on there from day 1 when the tickets were more reasonable than they are now? Probably a lot. At a 4O% increase since the list started those folks might decline to jump in at that level. Of course, the list is probably long enough to replenish any STHs that don't renew.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:33 pm

pens_CT wrote:
moondart wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
moondart wrote:
Why is that a surprise?

I do Dude, Unless you are talking about a lousy opponent like the Islanders the number is a couple hundred, mainly single seats. I doubt that even the Islanders had more than 700 seats available.

I have student rushed quite a few games and I've never seen more than 500 available. Usually in the 200 range.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:42 pm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

As it should be!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm

If u go to a lot of games I am guaranteeing you that at over 15 games they had 1,000 plus student....easy.
For those ofyounthat keep saying supply and demand: they raised prices to the point they had so many playoff cancels they offered us the chance to buy more. Why do you think wait list folks are gonna buy at those prices?

second I have been on record as saying in the past and got bashed but something isn't right. The prices were increased so high it's not reasonable, they are the only team to sell white out shirts, and they have cut back on everything you can think of.

It goes beyond the normal thinking, they are making less money than they thought they would with all these new arena deals. Plain and simple. Nobody in their right mind raises prices to the points they have.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby C4 Row E on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Season ticket holders should be offered the $30 tickets before students. They are the ones who spend the money and are deserving of extra tickets at a discounted cost.

Giving away playoff tickets in the lower level for $30 + taxes to students???? What a freakin' joke. I would have gladly bought those up for friends and family. I am a season ticket holder and paid $120 per seat. The kids in front of me paid $30 + taxes.....Really?
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby drnort on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:49 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

As it should be!

At the current prices, the waiting list could shrink rather quickly. When tickets are offered up, plenty of those on the list will balk at the cost.

I know quite a few on the waiting list that refuse to pay face value for a playoff game when invited by a season ticket holder. Its simple to sign up, its another thing to pony up when its your turn.

We shall see.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh I'm not suggesting the Waiting List people should get the tickets, I just friggin' despise when people complain about ticket prices. Let the market determine the price. It's ludicrous that STHs have been able to pay for their tickets through resale profits for the past few years. Bottom line - if you don't like the price, don't pay it.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:59 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:If u go to a lot of games I am guaranteeing you that at over 15 games they had 1,000 plus student....easy.
For those ofyounthat keep saying supply and demand: they raised prices to the point they had so many playoff cancels they offered us the chance to buy more. Why do you think wait list folks are gonna buy at those prices?

second I have been on record as saying in the past and got bashed but something isn't right. The prices were increased so high it's not reasonable, they are the only team to sell white out shirts, and they have cut back on everything you can think of.

It goes beyond the normal thinking, they are making less money than they thought they would with all these new arena deals. Plain and simple. Nobody in their right mind raises prices to the points they have.

According to this story the pens average ticket price is 6 dollars above the NHL average. http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars/post/_/id/13315/stars-have-cheapest-ticket-in-nhl.
Don't see how this is excessive, compared to some of the long-time losers with higher prices.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 pm

The point of OP is to examine the thinking that preceeds the market demand outcome, and it's a good one. As a long-time sth, the price increases are wearing on me. So are the early playoff exits, but it's moreso the prices. $40+ to sit in the last row isn't as palatable as it was a while ago. Someone would take my spot, but I'd care less about giving them up, which is bad for brand loyalty.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby moondart on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:05 pm

pens_CT wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:If u go to a lot of games I am guaranteeing you that at over 15 games they had 1,000 plus student....easy.

According to this story the pens average ticket price is 6 dollars above the NHL average. http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars/post/_/id/13315/stars-have-cheapest-ticket-in-nhl.
Don't see how this is excessive, compared to some of the long-time losers with higher prices.

What the article DOESN'T state is that it raised those prices 40% over 3 years....for a team that pooped the bed for the last 3 years.

Imagine a different scenario: Imagine if Hostess made Ho Ho's for 3 years and discovered for the last 3 years that rat poop was produced in every single Ho Ho that someone bought. Then, hostess comes out, apologizes once discovering this, and continues to raise the price on the said Ho Ho's and not care about their customers.

Whether or not there is a line to buy those Ho Ho's....still would be a BALLSY move for Hostess eh? Same thing here for the Pens. In a free market, they can charge what they want....but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth...
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bathgate on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Pens' prices are 3rd highest among US teams and the highest among US small markets.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

They've made the playoffs every year since 2007. That's more than a lot of teams can say. If someone only will attend games for a team that goes deep in the playoffs (and anything else is pooping the bed), then that's their prerogative.

If people don't go to the games, then the team won't spend as much money on players. I think the moral high ground has to give way to the reality of sports in this case.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:12 pm

ib4 burgers and dogs
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby rickyaustin on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 pm

moondart wrote:What the article DOESN'T state is that it raised those prices 40% over 3 years....for a team that pooped the bed for the last 3 years.

Imagine a different scenario: Imagine if Hostess made Ho Ho's for 3 years and discovered for the last 3 years that rat poop was produced in every single Ho Ho that someone bought. Then, hostess comes out, apologizes once discovering this, and continues to raise the price on the said Ho Ho's and not care about their customers.

Whether or not there is a line to buy those Ho Ho's....still would be a BALLSY move for Hostess eh? Same thing here for the Pens. In a free market, they can charge what they want....but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth...

If Hostess still sold-out of their rat-poop Ho-Hos with a line around the block, they would absolutely raise the price.
rickyaustin

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins