PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PENGUINS v. flyers GAME 6 (GDT)

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Staggy wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Staggy wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:They should trade all their stars for 3rd line players. Then BDFLDB can have a team of grinders just like he wants who will listen and aren't talented enough to deviate from his system.

Like most anything I ask you, I assume your answer to this question will be yet another entry in the ongoing series "Rocco's Persecution Complex", but what does BDFLD(an)B(ylsma) stand for? Best Damn Fourth Liner?

Benevolent Dictator for Life...

Ah, actually pretty clever, whoever came up with it because I'm sure it wasn't Rocco.

Haha I don't know, he's the only one I've ever seen use it

My goal is to make it stick.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ivand87 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm

pens#1 wrote:its time to have Sid and Geno kill penalties

Sid, yes. Malkin, no. We've seen how Giroux changed this series with 3 shorthanded goals in 2 games. In my opinion and I've been watching hockey for a long time, if you take away those goals, the Penguins probably end up winning Game 2. Also, look at Zetterberg and what he did to us on that 5 on 3 in the 2008 finals.

Crosby is a complete player and he should be able to play in any situation. The fact that he's so good, so fast, and so smart and we don't every use him on the PK is a travesty.

As for Malkin, I don't know that he's cut out for penalty killing duty, and using both of them anyway is not good. You need to come out with your top guys after killing a penalty, so we still have Malkin and Neal. Using Crosby for the last 30, 40, even 50 seconds of every PK is something the Penguins need to do, because Sid is too good to not start killing penalties and scoring shorthanded goals.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm

All kidding aside, would you can him Rocco
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm

slappybrown wrote:All kidding aside, would you can him Rocco

Probably, because I'm not a fan of bringing back a coach of a team that implodes in spectacular fashion. 3 years in a row they've been the better team and lost, and their performance in a must-win game was sad and lacking of emotion. That has to fall on the coach on some level. I wouldn't make that decision the day the season ends though.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Only if Fitzgerald will take the position :pop: otherwise its pointless... its just making a change for the sake of making a change
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Godric wrote:

Only if Fitzgerald will take the position :pop: otherwise its pointless... its just making a change for the sake of making a change

It's really not a change for its own sake though. If this coach (and staff) can't win a round (or even look competitive) with one of the most talented rosters in the league, when will they? Bylsma isn't necessarily a bad coach, but his system is clearly not working.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Fast B wrote:
Godric wrote:

It's really not a change for its own sake though. If this coach (and staff) can't win a round (or even look competitive) with one of the most talented rosters in the league, when will they? Bylsma isn't necessarily a bad coach, but his system is clearly not working.

Okay, lets play this game. Pick any coach in the league and any system in the league.... do you really believe Hitchcock's trap would fit for this team? Or Tippet's? or Tort's system?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Godric wrote:
Fast B wrote:
Godric wrote:

Okay, lets play this game. Pick any coach in the league and any system in the league.... do you really believe Hitchcock's trap would fit for this team? Or Tippet's? or Tort's system?

I didn't think I was playing the "hire the new coach" game. As I said in another thread, the only way Byslma should be kept as coach into next season is if Lemieux and Shero don't find a better alternative. They don't even need a drastic systemic change, but they do need a coach who can instill some sense of defensive structure; it doesn't have to be a trap, since obviously they have a load of offensive talent.

The fact remains though, since the Cup win we've seen three years of Bylsma's system in the playoffs and the results have not been pretty. Last year of course has an asterisk due to injuries, but even so, if you're good enough to get a 3-1 series lead against a woefully inferior team, it's really not acceptable to blow it so royally at home.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Fast B wrote:
I didn't think I was playing the "hire the new coach" game. As I said in another thread, the only way Byslma should be kept as coach into next season is if Lemieux and Shero don't find a better alternative. They don't even need a drastic systemic change, but they do need a coach who can instill some sense of defensive structure; it doesn't have to be a trap, since obviously they have a load of offensive talent.

The fact remains though, since the Cup win we've seen three years of Bylsma's system in the playoffs and the results have not been pretty. Last year of course has an asterisk due to injuries, but even so, if you're good enough to get a 3-1 series lead against a woefully inferior team, it's really not acceptable to blow it so royally at home.

I agree with you. However I think the extent of the changes that need to be made are barely anything more than:

Stripping Crosby's Captaincy
Dumping Martin/Promoting Despres
Chasing Parise/Weber/Suter
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 pm

I would like to point out that we lasted one game longer than the Detroit Red Wings this year. Based on rivalry I give this a very understated:

Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Godric wrote:

If you're decided that Bylsma isn't the answer, why keep him around? What's served by that? It's keeping your girlfriend around when you know you won't marry her. Eventually it will turn ugly.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Rocco wrote:
Godric wrote:

If you're decided that Bylsma isn't the answer, why keep him around? What's served by that? It's keeping your girlfriend around when you know you won't marry her.

If there isn't anything better out there and my I don't feel my girlfriend is unbareble.... why not keep her around? Things might change or something better might present itself
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Rocco wrote:
Godric wrote:

If you're decided that Bylsma isn't the answer, why keep him around? What's served by that? It's keeping your girlfriend around when you know you won't marry her. Eventually it will turn ugly.

Maybe the practices are really good?
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Fast B wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Godric wrote:

Maybe the practices are really good?

At some point, she's going to want a long-term contract extension.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pen48guins on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:52 pm

This thread just needs another post to help it along off the 69 page mark.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Rocco wrote:

but that will atleast be a year from now
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Godric wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Waiting once you know it's not going to work doesn't make it easier. You're just prolonging the inevitable and pretending to be happy.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Rocco wrote:
Godric wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Waiting once you know it's not going to work doesn't make it easier. You're just prolonging the inevitable and pretending to be happy.

What if they win the cup next year?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Godric wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Godric wrote:
Rocco wrote:

What if they win the cup next year?

Then it turns out you can win with him and the whole thing is moot. I'd like to be wrong because I like DB. But this isn't a freak occurrence.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Just felt like I should touch on a theme I saw over the last few pages:

"Crosby is one hit away from an early retirement".

Yeah, and so is pretty much every other player in the NHL. They and the GM's know this. If that's your reason for not wanting to keep Crosby long-term, then I don't know what to say except :face:

Any player can develop concussion problems. Period. Everyone is susceptible in one way or another. That's the nature of the game.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Streaks House on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Just felt like I should touch on a theme I saw over the last few pages:

Yeah, and so is pretty much every other player in the NHL. They and the GM's know this. If that's your reason for not wanting to keep Crosby long-term, then I don't know what to say except :face:

Any player can develop concussion problems. Period. Everyone is susceptible in one way or another. That's the nature of the game.

This is true, but I think the Crosby situation is a little different. I'm not going to argue whether or not he had multiple concussions or if it was a neck injury. Fact remains, he dealt with a serious neurological trauma for over 15 months. This should concern you. And in context of what people are using the health discussion for, it's further complicated as we are talking picking between two elite players.

With what the NHL has become with head injuries and what we've seen in other athletes (Pat LaFontaine, Wayne Chrebet, etc), it's hard for me to not be skeptical regarding Sid's health down the road.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Streaks House wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Just felt like I should touch on a theme I saw over the last few pages:

This is true, but I think the Crosby situation is a little different. I'm not going to argue whether or not he had multiple concussions or if it was a neck injury. Fact remains, he dealt with a serious neurological trauma for over 15 months. This should concern you. And in context of what people are using the health discussion for, it's further complicated as we are talking picking between two elite players.

With what the NHL has become with head injuries and what we've seen in other athletes (Pat LaFontaine, Wayne Chrebet, etc), it's hard for me to not be skeptical regarding Sid's health down the road.

I'm not even talking just head injuries. We've seen Malkin and Staal both go down with knee injuries, we saw how Pronger got sticked in the eye, which turned into (possibly) a career ending concussion...

Point is, there's a lot of risks players take in playing the game. They know the risk going in, so do the GM's. Ever player is susceptible to a concussion, a knee injury, a back injury, a torn groin, etc etc that could possibly end their career. Saying Crosby is more susceptible than, say, Pierre Marc Bouchard or other players who have had concussions is a stretch. Minny still pays Bouchard, last I checked.

Also, Sid is the least of our problems, just thought I'd throw that out there.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins