Office Drama

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Office Drama

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 am

Some great office drama going down near me today. Well...maybe not GREAT really, but still good for some laughs.

I assume 2 people involved. One is a lady who talks loudly nearby my cube so I can hear her when she's angry...the other is some anonymous person.

Backstory...a month or 2 ago, lady comes by asking a bunch of people if they have seen her bowl/mug type thing. I say no. I see a big sign in the shared kitchen area asking if anyone has seen it. I dont remember what that sign said and whether it was passive aggressive or not. But man she wasn't happy about losing that bowl.

(My thoughts in parenthesis)

Fast forward to last week. I see a BIG sign (we are talking those huge presentation/group meeting sized pieces of paper that you can tear off and tape to the wall) "PLEASE DO NOT (not underlined) Remove containers that DO NOT (underlined) belong to you. THANK YOU.

So, I never knew what happened to the last one, but now it has happened again...so this makes the first time not look so accidental.

Then I see a sign from Anonymous person...typed out and not written. "Don't leave your dirty dishes lying around and they will not get tossed (well that solves the last and this mystery as far as where things went). If you want to live like a pig at home, fine. We all have to use this area. (wow...aggressive),

Then in red pen, on the typed out sign lady responds by writing:

You're Rude - No food is EVER (double underline) in the container overnight! (so you leave your mess there for everyone during the day? It is a small sink and their are a lot of ppl who use it) DONT touch what doesn't belong to you. (getting aggressive back)

So I went home for the weekend and come back in this monday. Lady has a new sign...typed this time:

(Red bold text)

The definition of STEALING: TO TAKE the property of another WITHOUT RIGHT OR PERMISSION. TO COMMIT THEFT.

(Back to normal text)

THIS IS A PUBLIC/COMMUNITY KITCHEN. YOU DO NOT (underlined) OWN IT. THEREFORE, MIND YOUR OWN AND NOBODY ELSE'S.

(Then lady in handwriting)

Feel free to stop by my cube to discuss, (signs her name)

Anonymous responds

(normal typed out note)

Just wash your dishes and everyone will be happy. It is very unsanitary, not to mention disgusting to see your dirty dishes sitting there day after day. They will be removed. Period.

Since this AM - Lady removed all the signs. I think she took them down...could have been someone else. I was hoping for more. Good stuff. The lady does leave her bowl in the sink and has (I suppose accidentally) left it overnight before. But still, leaving it in the small sink from lunch to whenever you leave while a lot of people are trying to use it...that could get annoying (I don't really ever use the sink...only to rinse out my mug when I go to get coffee). But throwing something out? Ha...that's bold and probably not the best way to handle things. Must have been eating away at that person for a while.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Office Drama

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 am

hahahaha

i assume you work in a small office?

hanging signs in my office would never fly. You have to get everything that's hung anywhere in the building approved. We're not even really allowed to hang signs in our cubes.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 am

mac5155 wrote:hahahaha

i assume you work in a small office?

hanging signs in my office would never fly. You have to get everything that's hung anywhere in the building approved. We're not even really allowed to hang signs in our cubes.

Ha, no - that is why it is even funnier. I work downtown. Lots of floors...many people on each floor.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 am

That's awesome. I'd go write some notes and threaten to throw away their stuff, just like the Pitt bomb threats.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 am

newarenanow wrote:That's awesome. I'd go write some notes and threaten to throw away their stuff, just like the Pitt bomb threats.

Hand-written first, then start emailing from a proxy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 am

I want to put up a sign that says "What, no more signs?"

To see if I can get them going again...but that wouldn't be very nice...so I won't.

Hopding out hope for more, though...maybe an apology sign? Friends become enemies...enemies become friends?

Spoiler:
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am

We have similar drama in our office from time to time, altho it never resorts to sign posting.

People where I work tend to put stuff in the fridge and then forget they put it there. Things like.... milk. That spoil. Smell. Ew. So our office manager (who is tasked with keeping that fridges clean) will periodically send out a nastygram email saying that unmarked food items will be thrown out on x day. This usually prompts people to put a piece of tape on whatever it is they have with their name on it. All's good.

Except one time about six months ago the lady thew out my insulated soft lunch bag that had like five jars of hot sauce in it, and which had been quite clearly-labeled.

Not happy about that.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 am

This reminds me of the great Tupperware War that happened here a few years ago. :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 am

tifosi77 wrote:We have similar drama in our office from time to time, altho it never resorts to sign posting.

People where I work tend to put stuff in the fridge and then forget they put it there. Things like.... milk. That spoil. Smell. Ew. So our office manager (who is tasked with keeping that fridges clean) will periodically send out a nastygram email saying that unmarked food items will be thrown out on x day. This usually prompts people to put a piece of tape on whatever it is they have with their name on it. All's good.

Except one time about six months ago the lady thew out my insulated soft lunch bag that had like five jars of hot sauce in it, and which had been quite clearly-labeled.

Not happy about that.

Why does hot sauce need to be in the fridge? I'd throw it out too...weirdo! Haha
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 am

the wicked child wrote:This reminds me of the great Tupperware War that happened here a few years ago. :lol:

Do tell...and do it in an epic Ken Burns documentary style
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am

JeffDFD wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:We have similar drama in our office from time to time, altho it never resorts to sign posting.

Not happy about that.

Why does hot sauce need to be in the fridge? I'd throw it out too...weirdo! Haha

Ordinarily I'd agree - the pH in hot sauce is such that nothing bad will ever grow in it. But these were all fresh made sauces from various local places, no preservatives or anything. Plus, one of them was so hot that keeping it cold was the only way to make it tolerable.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 am

Our fridge gets everything tossed every 3 weeks. Everyone knows it, and if they forget something in there, shame on them.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:14 am

This reminds me of an email that went out from an intern to the entire building at an old job of mine (entitled: Dear Hungry Co-Worker)

To the Hungry Co-Worker that took my delicious lunch out of the refrigerator yesterday. I'm glad my cooking is being appreciated by someone, but please ask next time and I will be glad to share with you. Could you at least please return my Tupperware container with my name on it.

Thanks,
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am

tifosi77 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:

Not happy about that.

Ordinarily I'd agree - the pH in hot sauce is such that nothing bad will ever grow in it. But these were all fresh made sauces from various local places, no preservatives or anything. Plus, one of them was so hot that keeping it cold was the only way to make it tolerable.

Ha, nice...sounds awesome. I love me some hot sauce, but I am not a connoisseur (had to look that up, forgot how to spell!). I just love the way Frank's Red hot tastes on different things.

Are you talking fresh, liquid type stuff or more chunky/salsa type pepper concoctions? Different types of red sauce/peppers or you into the green and other color type stuff?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:This reminds me of an email that went out from an intern to the entire building at an old job of mine (entitled: Dear Hungry Co-Worker)

To the Hungry Co-Worker that took my delicious lunch out of the refrigerator yesterday. I'm glad my cooking is being appreciated by someone, but please ask next time and I will be glad to share with you. Could you at least please return my Tupperware container with my name on it.

Thanks,

I forget who it was, but after relaying my original story to another coworker, they told me of a time where someone stole a lunch in the office and the victim then posted a sign that said something along the lines of "this is who you are stealing lunch from" - and attached a picture of their most recent ultrasound with the baby.

Nice touch.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:This reminds me of an email that went out from an intern to the entire building at an old job of mine (entitled: Dear Hungry Co-Worker)

Thanks,

I still have that.. I can get it back to them if they like.. the tupperware lid melted a little in the dishwasher though.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:21 am

JeffDFD wrote:

Thanks,

I forget who it was, but after relaying my original story to another coworker, they told me of a time where someone stole a lunch in the office and the victim then posted a sign that said something along the lines of "this is who you are stealing lunch from" - and attached a picture of their most recent ultrasound with the baby.

Nice touch.

:shock:
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:23 am

Our office cleans the fridge the first monday of every month.

They usually only throw away food and stack everything else (lunch bags etc) outside the fridge for a week. Once, there was a pot of macaroni and cheese there. The whole pot. Lid and all. (there are no stoves, to my knowledge, anywhere in this office building)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:25 pm

UPDATE:

Looks like the lady did take down the signs going back and forth (or was told to...never know) and now a new one in its place:

Please return the bowl/container that you took. No need to be rude and vicious like you have shown.

Pretty sure the anonymous person "tossed" it like the earlier sign said. I hope they post a response.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steve784 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Pics please?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm

She's writing both signs. Total head-case seeking attention.

/Awake
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 pm

You should make a ransom letter and mail it to the lady who is missing the bowl. Take a picture of a similar bowl, and cut out assorted letters from newspapers and magazines to make it look really authentic.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:38 pm

That bowl is long gone. She's out of luck unless the other crazy person goes out and buys a new bowl as a peace offering. And the odds of that seem slim.

Enjoy the rest of the show.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Can't believe how jammed up this lady is over a missing bowl.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Yeah for real was this like a family heirloom passed down from generation to generation?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR