Student Loan Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby KG on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm

I like how they call it a student loan "forgiveness" act...like it just dissapears. Just add it on to the national debt what's the difference at this point! What's another trillion here or there, we will never get out of this debt if you keep giving credit to people who shouldn't have it. Now I am firm believer that the higher education system needs a major overhaul. The amount of money it costs to send a kid to a "good" school is a disgrace.

If they forgive the student loans, they are opening up a major can for the people who have worked for years to pay off those loans. It won't go over well...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby FanofUlf on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 am

KG wrote:I like how they call it a student loan "forgiveness" act...like it just dissapears. Just add it on to the national debt what's the difference at this point! What's another trillion here or there, we will never get out of this debt if you keep giving credit to people who shouldn't have it. Now I am firm believer that the higher education system needs a major overhaul. The amount of money it costs to send a kid to a "good" school is a disgrace.

If they forgive the student loans, they are opening up a major can for the people who have worked for years to pay off those loans. It won't go over well...

It's better that students be taken advantage of...and not being able to buy a house I suppose...
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 pm
Location: Land

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 am

Sure, let them buy a house with all that money they "saved". If they end up behind on house payments because they didn't understand the terms of the mortgage when they signed, lets forgive them for that too. After all, chances are the big banks took advantage of them on the mortgage too.

Then, with all that money they "saved" on their mortgage, they can go stimulate the economy!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,697
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:02 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Sure, let them buy a house with all that money they "saved". If they end up behind on house payments because they didn't understand the terms of the mortgage when they signed, lets forgive them for that too. After all, chances are the big banks took advantage of them on the mortgage too.

Then, with all that money they "saved" on their mortgage, they can go stimulate the economy!

And when the huge companies screw up and bankrupt themselves because they've given a ton of bad loans lets bail them out! Oh wait.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,230
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 am

^^Who said i liked the bank bailouts either? Government bailouts are a horrible idea.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,697
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am

It blows my mind that banks are getting blamed in anyway for student loan debt. Dear God. They are literally told by the federal government to loan to everyone. The gov guarantees their loans for this purpose. How in the world is this predatory?

If banks were in charge tuition would be lower (they'd loan way less) and people would be able to pay back more (banks wouldnt loan to art history dropouts). Interest rates would be higher though.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:29 pm

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30 ... etail.html

69 days and interest rates are set to double.

Obama won't let this happen in an election year, will he?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,367
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 pm

columbia wrote:Or people could just pay off their loans, like they legally agreed to in the first place.


Bingo. I am crushed by grad school loans, but not nearly as crushed as I would be if I didn't go to grad school.

Fix the schools 'income need' and the lending practice, but don't let dummies off the hook for being too dumb.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:40 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:It blows my mind that banks are getting blamed in anyway for student loan debt. Dear God. They are literally told by the federal government to loan to everyone. The gov guarantees their loans for this purpose. How in the world is this predatory?

If banks were in charge tuition would be lower (they'd loan way less) and people would be able to pay back more (banks wouldnt loan to art history dropouts). Interest rates would be higher though.


Sort of agree; why shouldn't lenders be able to reasonably vet who they do and don't loan to?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby pfim on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm

mac5155 wrote:http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30940894/detail.html

69 days and interest rates are set to double.

Obama won't let this happen in an election year, will he?


This makes no sense to me. The loans are very difficult to discharge in a bankruptcy, you're telling me that students should pay 400-500 basis points above current rates to get a loan to go to school? The rate doesn't correspond to the risk.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby pfim on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:It blows my mind that banks are getting blamed in anyway for student loan debt. Dear God. They are literally told by the federal government to loan to everyone. The gov guarantees their loans for this purpose. How in the world is this predatory?

If banks were in charge tuition would be lower (they'd loan way less) and people would be able to pay back more (banks wouldnt loan to art history dropouts). Interest rates would be higher though.


I think with the extreme examples of student loan debt, they share some culpability. They're using the govt to back loans that make no sense. From a macro perspective, agreed, they're just doing what the govt will allow them to.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Obama loves vilifying Big Oil, Big Finance, Big Insurance, but why won't he go after Big Education? Why isn't he threatening to crack down on them and sending his minions to the homes of these chancellors, deans, presidents, and provosts for purposes of protesting injustice?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,302
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:05 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Obama loves vilifying Big Oil, Big Finance, Big Insurance, but why won't he go after Big Education? Why isn't he threatening to crack down on them and sending his minions to the homes of these chancellors, deans, presidents, and provosts for purposes of protesting injustice?

We could also vilify "big stupid" as in the millions of stupid people who get into these messes.

Edit: Perhaps "stupid' is a bit harsh. Maybe Big "Rash," Big "Careless," or Big "Reckless" would be more appropriate.

Spoiler:
Big Education, to me, is far worse than insurance, finance, and oil combined though
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby Kraftster on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Stop telling these people they can be anything they want and that they need to go to college and they might stop going. Might because they won't if you don't also stop saying you can't earn a living if you don't go to college. Of course right now its hard to earn a living if you go to freaking grad school, so...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,732
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Kraftster wrote:Stop telling these people they can be anything they want and that they need to go to college and they might stop going. Might because they won't if you don't also stop saying you can't earn a living if you don't go to college. Of course right now its hard to earn a living if you go to freaking grad school, so...


I just commented on a friend's status, saying this was her "LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL EVER!!!"... my response was "...until you realize that bachelors degree in communications is about as valuable as a high school diploma.. and end up going back for 4 more years of grad school".. I dont think she liked my comment too much :D
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,367
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby steve784 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:54 pm

As politically and morally against this as I would be.........would I take it considering my fiance has $113K in student loan debt?

Spoiler:
Oh HELLLLLLL YEAHHHH
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm

steve784 wrote:As politically and morally against this as I would be.........would I take it considering my fiance has $113K in student loan debt?

Spoiler:
Oh HELLLLLLL YEAHHHH

As you should.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

steve784 wrote:As politically and morally against this as I would be.........would I take it considering my fiance has $113K in student loan debt?

Spoiler:
Oh HELLLLLLL YEAHHHH

PS Did she go to law school?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby steve784 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:32 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
steve784 wrote:As politically and morally against this as I would be.........would I take it considering my fiance has $113K in student loan debt?

Spoiler:
Oh HELLLLLLL YEAHHHH

PS Did she go to law school?



No, Physician's Assistant program........so she was actually able to get a job.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 pm

steve784 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
steve784 wrote:As politically and morally against this as I would be.........would I take it considering my fiance has $113K in student loan debt?

Spoiler:
Oh HELLLLLLL YEAHHHH

PS Did she go to law school?



No, Physician's Assistant program........so she was actually able to get a job.

:lol:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm scared to see what my daughter's tuition is going to be in about 16 years.

Already have a 529 plan with a few thousand in it adn will continue to add to it over the next 16 years to try to help the burden.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,180
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Kraftster wrote:Stop telling these people they can be anything they want and that they need to go to college and they might stop going. Might because they won't if you don't also stop saying you can't earn a living if you don't go to college. Of course right now its hard to earn a living if you go to freaking grad school, so...


This is really the larger issue. Parents, teachers, society in general need to stop telling everyone that they have to go to college. Yes, college can be great and the right choice for some people. Not everyone though. And if it's not right, don't push those kids to do it. It's tough to be a 17 or 18 year old and avoid that kind of pressure from all over the place and say, "I'm not ready to or don't want to go to college. I really need to do ____________ instead." Hard to put as much blame on them as opposed to everyone who is "older and wiser" and pushes them to college.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,629
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 pm

MWB wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Stop telling these people they can be anything they want and that they need to go to college and they might stop going. Might because they won't if you don't also stop saying you can't earn a living if you don't go to college. Of course right now its hard to earn a living if you go to freaking grad school, so...


This is really the larger issue. Parents, teachers, society in general need to stop telling everyone that they have to go to college. Yes, college can be great and the right choice for some people. Not everyone though. And if it's not right, don't push those kids to do it. It's tough to be a 17 or 18 year old and avoid that kind of pressure from all over the place and say, "I'm not ready to or don't want to go to college. I really need to do ____________ instead." Hard to put as much blame on them as opposed to everyone who is "older and wiser" and pushes them to college.


I agree. Not everyone is college material, but I think the common theme is that a lot of parents push their kids to that because "it is what they are supposed to do".

I'm planning ahead and saving for my kids college already. But when the time comes, if she is not college material and has some other plans in life, I'm not going to push her to go.

I'll just take the money and either use it to help any other kids I have to pay their full tuition, or build my gameroom.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,180
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm

newarenanow wrote:
I'll just take the money and either use it to help any other kids I have to pay their full tuition, or build my gameroom.


Build the game room now. i would.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,302
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
I'll just take the money and either use it to help any other kids I have to pay their full tuition, or build my gameroom.


Build the game room now. i would.


I was fortunate enough to get through college debt free with the help of my parents, and I know how much of a headstart I had when I graduated.

I want to do the same for my children. I may not be able to pay 100%, but I would like to make a very good attempt at it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,180
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, joopen, offsides, Shyster, skullman80 and 6 guests

e-mail