The draft

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The draft

Postby Godric on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Who we gonna pick?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: The draft

Postby npv708 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 pm

We're going to trade Martin, Lovejoy, and a pick to Edmonton for Yakupov and Staal and Michalek to the Kings for Jack Johnson and Grigorenko
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Trade up = Teuvo Teravainen
Trade down = Tim Bozon
Stay put = Andrei Vasilevski
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mosby on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:09 pm

Kelowna Rockets' Colton Sissons or Plymouth Whalers' Tom Wilson
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:43 pm

steelhammer wrote:Trade up = Teuvo Teravainen
Trade down = Tim Bozon
Stay put = Andrei Vasilevski

just looking at the name, I know shero won't pick andrei
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby duke66 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:49 pm

npv708 wrote:We're going to trade Martin, Lovejoy, and a pick to Edmonton for Yakupov and Staal and Michalek to the Kings for Jack Johnson and Grigorenko

uh already traded to columbus dude!
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Brendan Gaunce C Belleville Bulls. Do it RS.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:58 pm

duke66 wrote:
npv708 wrote:We're going to trade Martin, Lovejoy, and a pick to Edmonton for Yakupov and Staal and Michalek to the Kings for Jack Johnson and Grigorenko

uh already traded to columbus dude!

lol. Oops. Meant the BJ's
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:58 pm

I have no idea who they pick first, but I hope that it is whoever the staff judges to be the most offensively talented North American forward available. Forget the "we take the best player available regardless of position" garbage. I want to see them draft offense this year.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joker10277 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Best Dman available!!!!!!!!! Who else would RS take??????? :lol:
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm confused how the draft order is determined. If some of these lower seeds advance to the 2nd round, do we move up?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:19 pm

We're not picking a goaltender in the first round.

Sissons is probably on their radar, would fit this system like a glove. His stock has continued to rise, however.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Shero moves up in the draft (or at least attempts to, like 2010), and it's to nab a defenseman. 1st round is really D heavy. Even if he stands pat, BPA could still be a defenseman, and you can't really argue with this organization's success in drafting and dealing D-men.

I'm sure they got a good look at Derrick Pouliot, he plays with Joe Morrow in Portland.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Streaks House on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 pm

meecrofilm wrote:We're not picking a goaltender in the first round.

Sissons is probably on their radar, would fit this system like a glove. His stock has continued to rise, however.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Shero moves up in the draft (or at least attempts to, like 2010), and it's to nab a defenseman. 1st round is really D heavy. Even if he stands pat, BPA could still be a defenseman, and you can't really argue with this organization's success in drafting and dealing D-men.

I'm sure they got a good look at Derrick Pouliot, he plays with Joe Morrow in Portland.

I'm not a fan of this philosophy, to select the best system fit. Unless the Pen's are drafting in the first 10 picks, where the drafted player is sometimes talented enough to transition directly to the NHL, it may take 2+ years for a mid-late 1st rounder. What if the system the player was drafted to fit into changes?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I really don't want a dman taken unless there simply aren't any forwards worth taking at that point. Our lack of legit forward prospects is incredibly troubling.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Streaks House wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:We're not picking a goaltender in the first round.

I'm not a fan of this philosophy, to select the best system fit. Unless the Pen's are drafting in the first 10 picks, where the drafted player is sometimes talented enough to transition directly to the NHL, it may take 2+ years for a mid-late 1st rounder. What if the system the player was drafted to fit into changes?

No I agree, I want them to go BPA, not system/need. He's the type of player that would fit in any system, but his strengths would be maximized playing Ray Shero hockey. More of a general observation than anything.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:02 pm

opie22002 wrote:I'm confused how the draft order is determined. If some of these lower seeds advance to the 2nd round, do we move up?

The Pens will draft either 20 or 21st. if the rangers lose then its 20th. The lower seeds like LA pick after the pens by virtue of advancing past the first round.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Mosby wrote:Kelowna Rockets' Colton Sissons or Plymouth Whalers' Tom Wilson

Wilson was the guy that jumped out most to me... for where the Pens will be drafting, anyway.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 pm

If Shero were going to move up, I could see him trying to get into the top 15 to nab Gaunce.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:42 am

Draft Order:

1-14: Non-playoff teams

27: Lower of the 2 CF losers
28: Higher of the 2 CF losers
29: Stanley Cup Runner-up
30: Stanley Cup Champion

15-26 are the rest of the playoff teams, with division winners drafting last of that bunch.

With Vancouver losing, and being the top division winner, they are locked into #26.

With Boston losing and being a division winner, they are guaranteed to draft below Pittsburgh.

So as of right now, the latest Pittsburgh will draft is #24 (and that's if the remaining 4 division winners - NYR, FLA, PHX, STL - go to the conference finals)

If none of those 4 go to the conference finals, then the 6 division winners will draft 21-26, and Pens would draft 20 (they were the highest non-division winner in the NHL)

SO - Pens will draft 20-24, depending on how the rest of the playoffs unfold.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:36 am

Yeah... awesome thread but I'll just wait for the guy who called Despres & Bennett before the draft, Danualt the year after but he fell a few picks after Morrow.

Jesse Marshall is needed.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 am

A lot of you have already mentioned some key names.

Guys I'm paying particular attention to:

1. Tim Bozon - I have a feeling his stock is going to immensely rise by the time the final rankings are issued. He's too good to fall to the 2nd round. If the Pens took him early I'd be perfectly fine with that. He's exactly what this organization needs.

2. Brendan Gaunce - Prototypical power forward with a good pedigree and work ethic. Center, that's the only issue. Not where he needs to be defensively just yet. Perfect fit if he can convert to wing.

3. Gemel Smith - Brad Marchand jr. Tough kid to play against. Projects late first but worth a gamble early. You'll see a lot of teams in this draft jump off the board to take a guy they're enamored with. Once you get past 15 it's a total crapshoot.

4. Nicholas Kerdiles - Power forward. US prospect. Needs some refining, lots of untapped dangle ability.

5. Colton Sissons - Not a fan of picking him. I really don't think he projects to anything more than a 3rd liner.

6. Slater Koekkoek - Big rangy defenseman that can do anything you ask him to.

Guys I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole:

1. Tom Wilson - Let the Maple Leafs take this guy.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 am

Jesse wrote:A lot of you have already mentioned some key names.

1. Tim Bozon - I have a feeling his stock is going to immensely rise by the time the final rankings are issued. He's too good to fall to the 2nd round. If the Pens took him early I'd be perfectly fine with that. He's exactly what this organization needs.

2. Brendan Gaunce - Prototypical power forward with a good pedigree and work ethic. Center, that's the only issue. Not where he needs to be defensively just yet. Perfect fit if he can convert to wing.

3. Gemel Smith - Brad Marchand jr. Tough kid to play against. Projects late first but worth a gamble early. You'll see a lot of teams in this draft jump off the board to take a guy they're enamored with. Once you get past 15 it's a total crapshoot.

4. Nicholas Kerdiles - Power forward. US prospect. Needs some refining, lots of untapped dangle ability.

5. Colton Sissons - Not a fan of picking him. I really don't think he projects to anything more than a 3rd liner.

Bumped for Jesse's picks, always legit! Thanks Jesse.

Whats wrong with us getting another Center? We look weak at that spot from a prospects point imo.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:31 am

Nizzy wrote:
Jesse wrote:A lot of you have already mentioned some key names.

Bumped for Jesse's picks, always legit! Thanks Jesse.

Whats wrong with us getting another Center? We look weak at that spot from a prospects point imo.

Nothing wrong with it, but as weak as they look at C they are 10x weaker on the wings.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:55 am

We're picking someone? I didn't know LGP got a pick.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:58 am

Rocco wrote:We're picking someone? I didn't know LGP got a pick.

PBP on re-entry waivers.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins