Jordan Staal - perhaps the big story for this offseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jordan Staal - perhaps the big story for this offseason

Postby knives of ice on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:25 pm

well, it looks like the articles and talk are starting a bit earlier than i expected

Josh Yohe has an article thats going to be in the Trib tomorrow about Staal and his possible destinations

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... dan-staal/

appeared the other day.

Bob McKenzie has been tweeting about Staal today as well and there is talk on TSN. It looks like this will be in the media all year and a big story leading up to the draft I'd imagine.

I know the pens will likely have no other choice but to move Jordan, but its hard to see Shero getting the better of the deal when doing so.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jordan Staal - perhaps the big story for this offseason

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:29 pm

I am already starting to really hate this offseason. :thumbdown: :face:
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Jordan stays.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Does anyone else see the humor in this thread being right next to the thread about the Pens lacking size?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Thats why I dont get the Staal talk. We lost because of our defensive game and now we want to trade our best defensive forward? Makes no sense.

Besides, why would the Oilers give up the #1 for Staal now when they could just wait a year and get him for free (if Staal would even want to sign there).
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Shero is only going to get less if Staal decides where he wants to play. Since he has a year left and he can control what happens. If Staal gets traded to a team and says he'll sign there, that team would be willing to give up more. It all depends on Jordan.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Gaucho wrote:Jordan stays.

:fist:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Thats why I dont get the Staal talk. We lost because of our defensive game and now we want to trade our best defensive forward? Makes no sense.

Besides, why would the Oilers give up the #1 for Staal now when they could just wait a year and get him for free (if Staal would even want to sign there).

the talk isn't happening because the Penguins want to trade Staal, its more that they will likely be forced to because they can't keep him with the salary cap. If there was no cap no doubt the Pens would pay the 7million or so per year that Staal will likely get on the open market. If they know they aren't going to be able to sign him or get the impression that they won't be able to sign him they will pretty much have no choice but to trade him to ensure they get something for him.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:03 pm

knives of ice wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:Thats why I dont get the Staal talk. We lost because of our defensive game and now we want to trade our best defensive forward? Makes no sense.

the talk isn't happening because the Penguins want to trade Staal, its more that they will likely be forced to because they can't keep him with the salary cap. If there was no cap no doubt the Pens would pay the 7million or so per year that Staal will likely get on the open market. If they know they aren't going to be able to sign him or get the impression that they won't be able to sign him they will pretty much have no choice but to trade him to ensure they get something for him.

I just don't see how the Pens will get as much as some people think they will. No doubt, Staal holds all the poker chips here. Teams know that. If Staal and the Pens can't come to an agreement, then the Pens might as well keep him for the year and let him walk next offseason. Other GMs know that they can just wait it out another year and get him for free so why give away the farm now for him?

In Shero I trust, but I don't see the point of dealing Staal now for a fringe player and a couple of picks when having him in the roster another year is worth alot more. This talk of getting a 1st overall pick for Staal is downright laughable. Sure this pick is somewhat a luxury for the Oilers at this point, they are not going to give it up for a UFA even if they can get a deal for him. The Pens are dealing from a position of weakness here and won't win any deal involving Staal.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Pens4Life wrote:

I also hope you guys are right, but how do you come by this certainty? I happen to be a realist and I can see Staal leaving under certain scenarios.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:07 pm

this is just a perfect storm for the media. Oilers having the number 1 pick, the draft being in Pittsburgh, staal seemingly "unhappy" with his role.

I don't think it takes a ton to get staal resigned. 5 million at 7 years. He'd only be 30 when that contract ended and easily could get another big time pay day when done. Even 5.5 is not that made. You can resign staal, crosby and malkin for an additional 2 million a year in total.

He is one of the top forwards on the team in terms of ice time and put up 50 pts in 62 games with little time on the PP, i think its pretty simple, get him more PP time while reducing some of his PKing time and your golden.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:23 pm

I think Jordan is in love with Pittsburgh, just like Matt Niskanen ... :) :wink:
Nobody got to their defensive game in the six games I watched against the flyers.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 pm

offsides wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:

I also hope you guys are right, but how do you come by this certainty? I happen to be a realist and I can see Staal leaving under certain scenarios.

There are no guarantees, of course, but if they can't keep all three I can see them rather trade Sid or Geno than Jordan.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:33 pm

knives of ice wrote:I know the pens will likely have no other choice but to move Jordan, but its hard to see Shero getting the better of the deal when doing so.

They have choices (Malkin) ... they just need to decide.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Why so eager to move him or any of the 3? If the pens were to extend him and Sid those contracts will not go in to effect until the 2013-14 season.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:37 pm

You'd rather see them trade Crosby than Jordan. Is that real?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Just a simple question... Which of our three "Star" centers do you think is the most durable?

not "which on is the best when healthy" but which is the most apt to suit up and play the most games in a given year?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby interstorm on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:39 pm

I know it is going out on a limb here, but since there are already a million crazy "what if" scenarios - i figure i'll throw out my own...

what if crosby takes less than the 8.7 million he is currently signed for?

first off - i think that is 100% possible and i'd read that as him saying the team, with jordan on it, is more important than a single player. the way the team stuck up for sid this year, i wouldn't be shocked. in addition, i think taking a light pay cut (i'm not advocating sid playing for $3 million a year -- just a little less) would be a great way to fight off the silly cry-baby perception issues the media has invented - this would be a real unselfish act and how could anyone look at something like this and think anything other than, "wow...this guy is really a good person". by no means is it expected that crosby will take less (regardless, he already is a good person) and such an action should be initiated by sid only (or else then we'd hear the "crosby hates pittsburgh - will be going to boyhood favorite montreal" even more).

...but what if?
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Just a simple question... Which of our three "Star" centers do you think is the most durable?

not "which on is the best when healthy" but which is the most apt to suit up and play the most games in a given year?

Jordan Staal.

Getting cut by a skate and getting kneed are "freak accidents" in the injury scheme of things.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

CERV96 wrote:Why so eager to move him or any of the 3? If the pens were to extend him and Sid those contracts will not go in to effect until the 2013-14 season.

nobody is eager. the penguins will definitely try to sign Staal. Its going to be up to Jordan, if he wants to test free agency where he will get 7-8 million per year the penguins will likely have no choice but to trade him. Shero will know if he has a good chance to sign him or not.

not trading him if Shero knows he won't sign here would be beyond stupid. he'll definitely be traded if Shero knows he is unsignable.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:48 pm

I mean, I don't want to trade Staal, but if Edmonton wanted to trade and the #1 pick were involved, I think I'd listen.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:
knives of ice wrote:

I just don't see how the Pens will get as much as some people think they will. No doubt, Staal holds all the poker chips here. Teams know that. If Staal and the Pens can't come to an agreement, then the Pens might as well keep him for the year and let him walk next offseason. Other GMs know that they can just wait it out another year and get him for free so why give away the farm now for him?

In Shero I trust, but I don't see the point of dealing Staal now for a fringe player and a couple of picks when having him in the roster another year is worth alot more. This talk of getting a 1st overall pick for Staal is downright laughable. Sure this pick is somewhat a luxury for the Oilers at this point, they are not going to give it up for a UFA even if they can get a deal for him. The Pens are dealing from a position of weakness here and won't win any deal involving Staal.

A team might like having a year's worth of exclusive negotiating rights with him.

I don't know - and I doubt anyone here knows what Staal's looking for in his next contract. If he's asking for a ransom, then Shero is probably going to have to move him for whatever he can. It also depends a lot on what Crosby is going to want, and what happens with the CBA.

Not a good summer to be Ray Shero.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:54 pm

interstorm wrote:I know it is going out on a limb here, but since there are already a million crazy "what if" scenarios - i figure i'll throw out my own...

what if crosby takes less than the 8.7 million he is currently signed for?

first off - i think that is 100% possible and i'd read that as him saying the team, with jordan on it, is more important than a single player. the way the team stuck up for sid this year, i wouldn't be shocked. in addition, i think taking a light pay cut (i'm not advocating sid playing for $3 million a year -- just a little less) would be a great way to fight off the silly cry-baby perception issues the media has invented - this would be a real unselfish act and how could anyone look at something like this and think anything other than, "wow...this guy is really a good person". by no means is it expected that crosby will take less (regardless, he already is a good person) and such an action should be initiated by sid only (or else then we'd hear the "crosby hates pittsburgh - will be going to boyhood favorite montreal" even more).

...but what if?

The only thing is the NHLPA would not be happy with him taking less. Crosby said he doesn't like long term contracts, but he might have to take one, 8 mil at 10 years (80 million) is something they might be fine with
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm

I don't see how Shero can offer a contract to Staal (and perhaps Crosby?), until he knows the details of the CBA, so I'm not expecting anything to happen with these two this summer.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm

The Pens are looking to make some changes, but more on the tweak side. Staal being traded could happen, but for a draft pick? I think GMRS is still in the win now mode, and getting a draft pick only clears salary, it doesn't help win NOW.

Pens PK STUNK in the playoffs, but Jordan has been a beast on the pk during the regular season and in past playoffs. GMRS would have to consider this.

I have faith that GMRS will find the room to sign Staal, and if not, get more of a play now guy. The Pens wnidow of opportunity is more now than 3-4 years from now.

But I can't ignore my gut in seeing how hard Staal took the loss and the way he answered questions. I just have a bad feeling about him staying a Penguin, and that sucks as he's growing into the player that I thought he would be.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins